“Smart but Uncomfortable”

Hotel Grums Barcelona
Ranked #202 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Hotel Grums has recently opened and is well placed for the tourist bus stops near the World Trade Centre and reception staff are helpful.
However...
Beds - Mattresses are bizarrely firm - often an issue for me when we travel, but never before for my wife. Both slept very poorly - I was reduced to rising at 4am to read and then kip in the chairs in the mezzanine lounge.
Food - Breakfast was adequate - but when we tried to have dinner on our second night things unravelled. Several times from the already basic and brief menu were unavailable - and when the food arrived (served by a disinterested waitress) it was shockingly poor quality - grey and tasteless chicken nuggets for the kids, four cheese ravioli with a sauce that managed to combine that 'straight from the tin' tang with an impressive blandness. Gave up a third of the way through it.
Drinks - hotel has a bar, but finding someone to serve you was challenging much of the time.
The hotel had also made an error over the type of room we'd booked - but staff did what they could to resolve this.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Foodandkindness
Managing_Director_13, Director General at Hotel Grums Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear guest,

I remember talking to you the morning after your first night. You did explain me about the beds and I told you that I was really surprised because the beds is one of our strenghts. It's what clients told us. You did reconised to me that you do have always sleping problems when you travel as you do request special bed (very soft one). Anyway, I'm sorry for this.

Some of the problems have already been corrected.

Best regards,

Mark Mackay
Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here the day before a cruise. Location's a 10 euro cab ride from the port. Our flight from JFK arrived at 6:00 a.m. We took a cab to the hotel to check our luggage before taking a self guided, jet laged tour of the city. The receptionist (Mariella?) advised us that check-in was not until 2:00. We chatted her up as she tagged our luggage. After making a few suggestions as to how we could spend the day she said "Wait". She then told us a room was available for check-in. We gratefully accepted the offer, went to our room and sacked out for three hours. All in all the front desk people we friendly, accomodating and very forgiving of my lack of Spanish. There English was quite good.

The room was clean, modern and tastefully decorated. Beds were very comfortable. My son, with whom I was travelling, is a big man (6'2" 200#) I am a little shorter and a little bigger. There were no complaints on the mattresses.

As pointed out on other web pages the bathrooms are typical European. Open shower behind a half wall. Be careful how you aim the shower head. Some maintenance was required. Sink faucets had to be shut just so, toilet paper holder was broken. These are little things that can be easily corrected if management so desires.

Based on other Trip Advisor reviews as well as the nasty responses thereon by management I was hoping to meet the manager to see if his poor attitude was evident. He never showed up, but in discussion with hotel employees, I confirmed that the manager has a bad attitude (he threatened to sue a TA reviewer? Give me a break) and is not customer oriented. Too bad. The hotel is otherwise a fine place.

Location is central. Although the location is a few blocks from an area tourists are advised to avoid at night, doing so is not difficult. Hotel employees will mark off the do-not-go areas and offer strategies for easily avoiding the troubled areas. We had no problems.

Following other reviewers' suggestions we avoided the hotel restaurant. Coffee shops and restaurants are easily accessable.

I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jenspa
Reviewed 15 February 2014

D.Woods and myself stayed at Grumms last weekend and both agree we will return as soon as possible.That is highly unusual for us as we have stayed in many hotels in Barcelona and like to experience different parts of the city.However Grumms has the come back again factor,its in a great location, breakfast is unbelievably good,staff are super and best of all the rooms are perfect to really relax and sleep in.Another bonus is the balcony perfect for catching a little sunshine on and phoning home to tell everyone to book GRUMMS.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are perfect
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank donna m
Reviewed 7 February 2014

stayed at this hotel for two nights in early February, we were on a secret escapes deal, which gave us a premier room, and full use of the spa which although small was really good , we were mid week so did not have to book but I was told you would when the hotel was busier, the room was excellent very clean with lots of room and a great walk in shower, we also had a small fridge which was handy to put soft drinks and water in,Breakfast had a good selection of food and you can easily find enough to keep yourself satisfied, we would walk to the Ramblas which would take about 8 to 10 minutes but you can walk to the metro stop Paral Lel which is less than 5 minutes away.If you walk down to the harbour part which has the Columbus statue (which is well worth going up, great views) and the Ramblas de mar or Portal de la Pau the walk should take no more that 10 minutes. The surrounding area by the hotel is not the best but we did not have any problems, large police presence in all areas of the Ramblas, would definitely go back to the Grums if we return to this fantastic city.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gazzaBrighton
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel on a business trip last week. The price was very good, and the room was nicely furnished, and clean. I did find it a bit odd that the sink was in the bedroom rather than in the bathroom, but it made it a bit different!

I booked through Expedia, which meant that access to the pool and gym wasn't included, although they only asked for 9 euros to use it for the duration of my stay. I didn't use it though, as the gym itself was closed, I assume for refurbishment. It is the winter after all.
Breakfast was good, much better than some of the many hotels I stay in in Europe throughout the year.

The location is very good. It is right next to the Parc Montjuic, which is where most of the Olympic facilities are located. And just a 10 minute walk to La Rambla, where there's a great selection of shops and restaurants. The Port is also just a 5 minute walk away. It is also nice and quiet as it's tucked away from the busy streets.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This was the ideal hotel for us - a group of four, staying three nights, and doing the main tourist run just before Christmas. Perfectly located for the Ramblas and metros to other areas, although the local area won't suit everyone late at night. We had no problem walking around in our small group, and could reach the Ramblas in minutes.
The hotel itself was comfortable and stylish, and most evenings were spent either in the restaurant (reasonable food) or the bar.
Breakfast was abundant in both choice and quantity - catered for all diets, including diabetic and vegetarian.
Our room was spacious, clean and the bed luxuriously large. Also, very quiet, so a welcome night's sleep after the busy streets during the day.
I was also determined to experience the spa - again very welcome to ease my aching bones after racing around Barcelona all day!! Small, but lovely relaxing pool and jacuzzi. The sauna wasn't working, which was a shame, but the rest of the facilities were spot on.
I would highly recommend this hotel for a group wanting to stay close to the centre, and hope to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank earthintruder
Reviewed 22 December 2013

When we first arrived to the hotel I thought it was far away from everything... not to mention that we walked the wrong way trying to get to Las Ramblas... but the location is actually really really good! It's not a long walk to Las Ramblas or the port or anything. I would be a bit wary about walking at night though, nothing happened to us but it's a foreign country where we don't speak the language so who knows.

The hotel itself was lovely, we were pleasantly surprised when we got there considering we were used to all the small rooms in Europe. These rooms were HUGE (I see other people say that they were small but ours was massive... I don't know if they upgraded us as we were on our honeymoon though).

The people at the front desk were very lovely and very helpful... again, you don't find that everywhere in Europe. I would definitely recommend this hotel... if you do stay here I suggest that you go behind the hotel and walk up the track... it was a nice walk.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple