“Paella tasted good- but the restaurant left an overall BAD taste in my mouth.”
Review of Casa Amalia

Casa Amalia
Ranked #3,017 of 11,104 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$23 - US$34
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Eixample
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

My two friends and I went here based on a suggestion by a local. They said it’s where all the locals eat the local dish “paella” and she really wanted to try it. We showed up and two of us weren’t planning on eating but after she ordered he told us there was an “order minimum” and each person had to order something to eat from the menu. There were only 2-3 options under €10 (which isn’t a big deal if you were planning on eating but two of us weren’t). We stayed and ordered “cold watermelon soup” for €5,50 so she could try it. After we ordered we were also told we had to put away and not drink from our water bottles (it’s the middle of summer and we were walking all over the city...) and we would have to purchase water from the restaurant if we wanted to drink some with our meal. The food finally came out and I will admit the Paella did taste good. However, when the bill came he did charge us for table water even though we didn’t order any and we set down our waters like he had asked (and didn’t sneak sips— mainly because he was blatantly watching us from the restaurant window). So overall, AWFUL experience. We went right when they opened in the afternoon and were the ONLY customers there throughout our entire meal.

These may be common traditions/customs of European/Spanish restaurants but I’ve traveled throughout many European countries several times and have never encountered this- even at fancier/nicer restaurants. His condescending tone when describing these customs suggest either that they are true or in my opinion, a simple distaste for tourists.

Don’t go.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

We dropped in to this restaurant by chance. It was busy which we assumed reflected its popularity and assumed it would be good local food. Sadly it fell well short.
We were seated upstairs ( I’m just 1.82m but bumped my head on the low ceiling ) ; it would appear the husband ran that area for service and his wife downstairs.
Luckily we got our order in before the place became full. The food arrived swiftly ( a tuna salad and a Catalan stew). Portions were small and the Cap I Pota was only just warm.
As the place filled tables were reorganised; the waiter ran up & down stairs to the kitchen; and the chaos ensued.
He shouted at one guest for using “his” stairs; he asked one table of 8 who were simply chatting loudly to be quiet; and he became overwhelmed by the challenge of serving the numbers.
It became impossible to gain his attention so we gave up after one course and asked for the bill. It took ages ( 15 minutes) to arrive - having initially been delivered to the wrong table.
So not a great experience. And the toilets were dirty. Unacceptable.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

Had lunch here first, recommended by apartment receptionist as close by and we needed somewhere quick. Simple, good local food. We had the menu del dia (menu of the day). As this is in Spanish only we decided to just choose two starters and two mains and hope for the best ( we are not fussy eaters and it adds to the adventure).The most interesting was the cold melon and ham soup, really unusual and very good on a hot day. The mayonnaise on my green bean and tuna salad was delicious.
We returned a couple of nights later for dinner. My steak ( I know, not traditional) was cooked to perfection.
We did not find anything wrong with the staff.

If you want fancy,fine dining and wine then this isn't the place for you, it's simple and rustic.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

I've been here a few times and I always wanna come back.

The service is great, food is simply amazing and you feel at home. It's a typical Spanish cuisine - do not expect anything avant garde, more grandma-like dishes - with great products and simply terrific desserts (OMG the crema catalana is sooooooooo good).

It's a must for whenever I'm in Barcelona.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

One of the waiters was rude all the way. Also, when it was time to pay the bill, he managed to bring too little change. Luckily survived without a fight.
The food was plain and tasteless and the price level was a bit too high for that standard. I ordered the Catalanian Stew and couldn't really finish it. Also extra bread was dry.
Casa Amalia seems like a restaurant that tries to serve authentic traditional food, but what they would really need is a big upgrade to refresh the menu and staff. The interior was OK.
Couldn't recommend this restaurant to everyone unfortunately.

1  Thank EnterHelsinki