NH Collection Barcelona Gran Hotel Calderon
Ranked #76 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel is really excellent in every respect. The facility is clean and modern, and the staff pays meticulous attention to detail. Location is great as well, with easy access to Rambla and the old city and the metro. We didn't try the hotel restaurant except for their excellent breakfast, but there are probably thirty attractive places to eat within two blocks. Rooms are quiet, modern, and comfortable. Internet is available and usually works with adequate speed.

Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,050)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Location was great for getting around Barcelona - very central. The breakfast buffet which we opted for with our room was more than enough for a substantial meal. As for the room, it was average with a view of the back of other buildings, but my complaint was with the pillows and the total lack of customer service!! The pillows are more like bolsters, not bed pillows so I tried to call reception to get other pillows but the desk clerk refused to answer my call so after trying three times, I proceeded to get dressed (again) and go downstairs personally. She tried to explain that she was working alone and couldn't take my call. Well, she took it and simply hung up! While I was waiting in line to talk to her, it rang again and she proceeded to turn down the volume on the phone and simply ignore the call. This is totally unacceptable!! I would not recommend going to this hotel for this simple reason. I might have been desperate for help and if I had had an emergency, it would not have been taken care of. I'd definitely think twice.

Room Tip: check out the pillows before you try to go to sleep!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank supersatisfied
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here on our first visit to Barcelona. The hotel is smart, well decorated, clean and the staff very welcoming and helpful. The unheated pool located on the roof terrace was cool when we visited in April but my husband happily enjoyed it! The gym is small but was always empty so access was easy. The sauna was a delight after a days sightseeing - we gave notice that we wanted it heated up as we returned so it was perfect by the time we'd changed and had a swim. Being late sleepers we never tried the breakfast.
The hotel is ideally situated in one of the less busy roads just 5 minutes walk from Plaça de Catalunya which is one of the drop off and collection points for the Aerobuses (these run frequently to and from Barcelona's main airport). Plaça de Catalunya is at one end of La Rambla making a perfect starting place for an evening or day time stroll searching for shops, stalls, restaurants and bars to enjoy.
I would very happily stay again when I re-visit.

Room Tip: When we checked in we were offered the choice of front or rear of the hotel and opted for the quiete...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise J
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is perfectly located for sightseeing and shopping. The junior suite is perfect for traveling with children. The breakfast buffet was fresh, delicious and offered a broad array of options. I look forward to returning to Barcelona and the NH Calderon Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Just a half block from the Ramblas on a quieter street. Great restaurants nearby. Courteous staff. Will stay again in October before next cruise. Great coffee shop two stores down where you can get your coffee and Danish and eat inside or outside.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Perfect location, friendly staff, not cheap but also not too expensive considering the location and the quality. I have stayed there with my wife for 3 nights and particularly enjoyed the location as we always had the chance to stop by the hotel and have some rest either when walking around or travelling by the subway

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I enjoyed the modern and clean facilities, friendly staff, and a great breakfast buffet! This hotel is located centrally with easy access to the subway system. I definitely recommend this hotel for either a business (as I did) or personal stay in Barca.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business