“Excellent Location, Excellent Service”

Hotel Avenida Palace
Ranked #155 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Location, Excellent Service”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a lovely hotel with an excellent location. My husband and I have just stayed there after a cruise, for three nights. We had stayed there last year as well. The staff were consistently helpful and gracious. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was very good. The room was large and comfortable with a roomy bathroom. The common areas were well maintained and very attractive. If you are looking for slick, sparse modern decor this is not the hotel for you. We are experienced travelers and have learned to recognize value when we see it. We would return here and would recommend it without hesitation.

2 Thank MAE80
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Traveler,
It was a pride for us to host you in our hotel during your last stay in Barcelona.
I've seen we reached your expectations at the hotel and also with our classic style.
All what we do at the Avenida Palace Hotel, we do it to welcome you once again .
I remain If you need any assistance on your next trip to Barcelona.

jtomas@husa.es

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Let's start with positive - the location is absolutely the best possible! In the center of the city, walking distance to everything from shops to restaurants to museums and attractions. The lobby of the hotel is very nice, especially the grand staircase that is a work of art in and of itself. The reception staff is also very friendly and helpful, the breakfast is delicious.

We arrived early since our flight landed at 9:40 am and needless to say there were no rooms yet available. This is quite normal considering their regular check in time of 4 pm. They got our info, stored our luggage and recommended that we take a bus tour of the city using one of many Barcelona's "hop on, hop off" tour buses. The weather was beautiful and, despite a slight jet lag, we went on a bus tour (the stop was literally around the corner from the hotel). We also had some lunch and came back around 3 pm, got the room keys, the luggage was brought into the rooms. The rooms were... so-so. Our room had a view of the wall of the next door building and our sons room had a view of some sort of a inner terrace. The window of that room was frosted glass. Both rooms were quite dark. But we were tired and and decided to take a nap. Interestingly enough, as already mentioned by other reviewers, the staff of the hotel have decided to enter our rooms by just opening the doors while simultaneously knocking on it. The signs "Do not Disturb" were on the door knobs outside. These incidents have been mentioned by other reviewers, oddly enough. Also, the bathrooms were not clean, the towels were outright dirty so we went to the reception and told them about it. They offered us different rooms, and since we were going out, they offered to move our luggage as long as we had it ready. When we came back late that night, (Barcelona is a wonderful, lively and very safe city), we got the keys to our new rooms and they were very, very nice, with great views of the city. Everything was great, until we were ready to go out in the morning when my wife could not find her walking shoes. It was a nice pair she bought few days prior to this trip. I went to the reception area, they gave me the keys to the old room which was cleaned and not occupied, and the shoes were not there. They promised to look for it. So we went out for an entire day, and when we returned, they still could not tell us what happened with the shoes. Next day I spoke with the assistant manager, Senior Tomas, I believe was his name, and asked him how they intend to compensate us for the loss. He said that they would pay for a new pair of comparably priced shoes if I could show them a purchase receipt for the lost ones (?!). I do not know anyone who would have a purchase receipt on the trip. Except me. The shoes were bought at the store called REI and they email you your receipt. So I found that email, forwarded it to the assistant manager, my wife went out and bought a pair of nice walking shoes, and they gave us back what we paid for it. I have to say, that they were thoroughly professional and courteous through the whole process, even though it did leave a sour taste. But we did not dwell on it and totally enjoyed the great city of Barcelona. One other negative is the WiFi at the hotel. I think they need more routers since the signal in the rooms is very weak, but it is great in the hotel lobby. I would recommend this hotel for its great location and awesome breakfast, but would negotiate the rooms upfront. And please, lock your doors

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors, and insist on the view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mr.Ari,
Thank you for choosing the Avenida Palace Hotel for your last stay with in Barcelona.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the misunderstanding matter happened with your room change, finally we find the best solution.
Aside of this, I've seen that you've enjoyed your stay and the hotel facilities during those days.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on your next visit to Barcelona.
I remain for any further comments you may need.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It is all about location. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the top of La Rambla. It is a good hotel but the rooms could use some updates, especially the bathrooms. Although you can hear noise from other rooms, it was quite at night time. Had the buffet breafast and it was fine. We are going back in November and were told they are renovating some of the rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Traveler,,
First of all thank you for choosing the Avenida Palace Hotel for your last stay in Barcelona.
After your stay with us and reading your comments, I'm happy to see we've reached your expectations at the hotel and as you told, we are already refurbishing the rooms at the hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a not to far future, if you plan to come to Barcelona, please let me know and I'll take care personally about your booking.

My best regards
Sincerely.

Marietta
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The location of Avenida Palace is excellent. I felt it was in the middle of everything, not far from Las Ramblas, walking distance from multiple tourist attractions as well. The service was very kind even if English isn't their first language (and why would it be). This vacation consisted of Barcelona, Paris, and London and this hotel provided the largest room by far. Huge bathroom too which was a nice bonus. My one complaint is that the "King" bed was actually two twins pushed together and I manage to fall through the middle one evening. I thought it was odd that they didn't even try to pin them together. The breakfast buffet was your typical buffet. It also helps that my favorite Barcelona restaurant is around the corner. Ciudad Condal!

My two cents: Great location, pleasant service, nice enough room.

1 Thank CrueDiva
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Marietta,
Thank you for giving us and world wide your opinions about the hotel and your trip to Barcelona.
We feel very happy after reading your comments and receiving your feedback as we have reached your expectations during your stay with us and viewing that you've enjoyed the hotel facilities and the hotel surroundings.
It will be nice if we can welcome you in a future once again in our property and it will be a pleasure for me to show you all the refurbishments that we are already doing at the hotel
I remain

Deputy Manager
gordonny
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The hotel has an excellent location. However, three times during my stay the hotel staff came into my room putting the key in the door and opening the door at the same time as knocking.... So really no point in knocking at all. Once this happened when the do not disturb sign was on. The hotel is very basic and I think the good reviews on here are by travellers who are perhaps not so well travelled. The lady on reception was super nice and sorted out any issue I had but the staff in the restaurant need a few lessons in customer service.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank gordonnay
Dear traveler,
First of all thank you for spent your time giving us and world wide your opinions.
We apologize for the incidents happened during your stay, It's an isolated case and nobody has claim never about this matter, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a future.
I remain for any explanation you may need.

Deputy Manager
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We spent two nights here after a cruise, arriving at 9 AM. We were immediately shown to our room by the courteous staff. It was a large room facing the street, but was very quiet. Right out the window is a lovely little park with an outdoor umbrella dining area for the restaurant (Farga--also nice) across the street. Also a Metro station right there. the bathroom was large, too, with two sinks, a tub with shower, and all the amenities needed, except lotion--I wish they had provided that. As in many European hotels, there were no wash cloths, but we have learned to toss a few dollar store cloths in and throw them away as we travel. The wi-fi was just ok--hard to get on, and you had to figure it out every time--but it worked, particularly early in the morning. We could walk everywhere from here, sort of like spokes on a wheel. We would definitely stay here again. There is a Citi Bank ATM around the corner, which gave us confidence because many ATM's in Barcelona do not have an English option. Dealing with an American bank was nice. Also, the hotel is VERY pretty--take time to explore the downstairs. We did not eat breakfast in the restaurant--not included in our rate--because it was pricey. there is a nice little cafe on the corner--turn right out the front door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the hotel. 7th floor was just right.
1 Thank K A
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Traveler,
First of all thank you for choos the Avenida Palace on your last visit to Barcelona and thank you for giving us your opinions about your stay.
After your review, I'm very proud to see that all the Avenida Palace team has reached your expectations on your visit to the city and your stay at the Avenida Palace.
I remain for anything you may need from our side on your next visit to Barcelona.
AVENIDA PALACE HOTEL* * * *
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a beautiful hotel conveniently located for easy access to most tourist sites. We walked to La Rambla and the Gaudi houses from the hotel. The room was large and well appointed and very clean. The service at the front desk was very good. They even contacted the transportation company for me so that I could get on my cruise ship on time! I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the front of the hotel! Good view of the city street.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JudyWheatley
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Traveler,,
After your stay with us and after reading your comments, I'm very proud to see that we've reached your expectations at the hotel and of coursewith Barcelona
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a not to far future.
I remain