Hotel El Avenida Palace
Ranked #145 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I once stayed at this hotel just 20 years ago. I took this hotel again because I had a good impression at that time. the location is almost the center of Barcelona and it's very convenient to visit every place such as Las Ramblas, Casa Mila on Passeig de Gracia and so on. This time, I stayed for two nights. There were two problems on this room (No.152), One was an air conditioner and the other was the window. An air conditioner didn't work well even every dial was set to become the room temperature to be minimum. The window is small and nothing could be seen. I felt the room is almost a prison. When I came back at night, I asked a reception staff to check this condition and asked to change a room where an air conditioner functions well and have a fine view. In the next morning, I told his boss that I once stayed just 20 years ago, and he agreed to change a room and I was asked to pack my luggages, if so, they would be moved to a new room. I visited all places I planned and came back to the hotel at around 10 p.m. The new room (No.955) was comfortable and I could see outside (west direction). But the room at higher floor and faced to Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes should be the best.

Room Tip: A room of higher floor and faced to south should be the best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We just spent 3 nights here. Yes the location is great. Yes, at one point it was a luxurious hotel. But our experience was not good. The first room we were given was 150. When we open the door we did not get more than one step inside before we turned around and left. The room smelt like 75 Marlboro salesmen had lived in it for the past twenty years. A dreadful combo of old smoke and mildew. Revolting. We went to the front desk, noted the problem and ask for a new room. We were told all rooms are no smoking and it's not their fault if a prior guest did not follow the rules. We said, we don't care, we cannot stay in that room we want a new one. Answer, well someone may have also smoked in the next room if we give you a new one. And we are fully booked so there are no more rooms. It took us several minutes and pointing out that since check in was at 4 PM and it was now only 4.30 there was no way everyone that was checking in could have already done so before he reluctantly agree to dump room 150 on some other sad guest. But no apology. Our new room was 952. Very small, a shower that splashed water all over the floor. A view onto the inside hole of an atrium (Ugly as sin). Worn out towels, TV did not work at all. Basically EXACTLY what you expect of a 4 star hotel living on its past laurels.

When we went back downstairs I told the guy at the front desk that the new room did not smell of smoke and "thank you for switching us". His reply, "well you know it could have smelled bad as well, that's why I did not want to switch you.". What an idiot. No apology, not even when I had thanked him for his help, even though it was reluctant.

Other impressions of the days. The ninth floor as well did not smell that great in general. Breakfast was ok for was it was. Woman checking in at breakfast room was VERY kind and friendly and best member of staff we met. In general it seemed like it was living on its location and turists from countries with lower expectations of cleanliness and service than US or Western Europe. Would never return.

Room Tip: Avoid 150 like the PLAGUE!!!!!!!!
1  Thank estesman
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel El Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear traveler,
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the icidents happened during your stay at the Avenida Palace Hotel.
As our staff told you, our hotel is a non smoking hotel and if somebody smoke we can't do anything when the guests are in their rooms but we try to advise about the hotel rules. If the occuppancy is low we can change the room with no problem but if we have a high occuppancy we will do our best to find a solution or the best solution we can find.
Please if you are planning to travel to Barcelona once again in a near or far future, please contact me directly and I'll take care personally about your booking an will have in consideration for what was happened on your last stay with us.
I remain for any further assistance should you need.

AVENIDA PALACE HOTEL* * * *sup
jtomas@avenidapalace.com

Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a lovely hotel with an excellent location. My husband and I have just stayed there after a cruise, for three nights. We had stayed there last year as well. The staff were consistently helpful and gracious. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was very good. The room was large and comfortable with a roomy bathroom. The common areas were well maintained and very attractive. If you are looking for slick, sparse modern decor this is not the hotel for you. We are experienced travelers and have learned to recognize value when we see it. We would return here and would recommend it without hesitation.

2  Thank MAE80
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel El Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Traveler,
It was a pride for us to host you in our hotel during your last stay in Barcelona.
I've seen we reached your expectations at the hotel and also with our classic style.
All what we do at the Avenida Palace Hotel, we do it to welcome you once again .
I remain If you need any assistance on your next trip to Barcelona.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Let's start with positive - the location is absolutely the best possible! In the center of the city, walking distance to everything from shops to restaurants to museums and attractions. The lobby of the hotel is very nice, especially the grand staircase that is a work of art in and of itself. The reception staff is also very friendly and helpful, the breakfast is delicious.

We arrived early since our flight landed at 9:40 am and needless to say there were no rooms yet available. This is quite normal considering their regular check in time of 4 pm. They got our info, stored our luggage and recommended that we take a bus tour of the city using one of many Barcelona's "hop on, hop off" tour buses. The weather was beautiful and, despite a slight jet lag, we went on a bus tour (the stop was literally around the corner from the hotel). We also had some lunch and came back around 3 pm, got the room keys, the luggage was brought into the rooms. The rooms were... so-so. Our room had a view of the wall of the next door building and our sons room had a view of some sort of a inner terrace. The window of that room was frosted glass. Both rooms were quite dark. But we were tired and and decided to take a nap. Interestingly enough, as already mentioned by other reviewers, the staff of the hotel have decided to enter our rooms by just opening the doors while simultaneously knocking on it. The signs "Do not Disturb" were on the door knobs outside. These incidents have been mentioned by other reviewers, oddly enough. Also, the bathrooms were not clean, the towels were outright dirty so we went to the reception and told them about it. They offered us different rooms, and since we were going out, they offered to move our luggage as long as we had it ready. When we came back late that night, (Barcelona is a wonderful, lively and very safe city), we got the keys to our new rooms and they were very, very nice, with great views of the city. Everything was great, until we were ready to go out in the morning when my wife could not find her walking shoes. It was a nice pair she bought few days prior to this trip. I went to the reception area, they gave me the keys to the old room which was cleaned and not occupied, and the shoes were not there. They promised to look for it. So we went out for an entire day, and when we returned, they still could not tell us what happened with the shoes. Next day I spoke with the assistant manager, Senior Tomas, I believe was his name, and asked him how they intend to compensate us for the loss. He said that they would pay for a new pair of comparably priced shoes if I could show them a purchase receipt for the lost ones (?!). I do not know anyone who would have a purchase receipt on the trip. Except me. The shoes were bought at the store called REI and they email you your receipt. So I found that email, forwarded it to the assistant manager, my wife went out and bought a pair of nice walking shoes, and they gave us back what we paid for it. I have to say, that they were thoroughly professional and courteous through the whole process, even though it did leave a sour taste. But we did not dwell on it and totally enjoyed the great city of Barcelona. One other negative is the WiFi at the hotel. I think they need more routers since the signal in the rooms is very weak, but it is great in the hotel lobby. I would recommend this hotel for its great location and awesome breakfast, but would negotiate the rooms upfront. And please, lock your doors

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors, and insist on the view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mr.Ari,
Thank you for choosing the Avenida Palace Hotel for your last stay with in Barcelona.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the misunderstanding matter happened with your room change, finally we find the best solution.
Aside of this, I've seen that you've enjoyed your stay and the hotel facilities during those days.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on your next visit to Barcelona.
I remain for any further comments you may need.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

It is all about location. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the top of La Rambla. It is a good hotel but the rooms could use some updates, especially the bathrooms. Although you can hear noise from other rooms, it was quite at night time. Had the buffet breafast and it was fine. We are going back in November and were told they are renovating some of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Traveler,,
First of all thank you for choosing the Avenida Palace Hotel for your last stay in Barcelona.
After your stay with us and reading your comments, I'm happy to see we've reached your expectations at the hotel and as you told, we are already refurbishing the rooms at the hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a not to far future, if you plan to come to Barcelona, please let me know and I'll take care personally about your booking.

My best regards
Sincerely.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

The location of Avenida Palace is excellent. I felt it was in the middle of everything, not far from Las Ramblas, walking distance from multiple tourist attractions as well. The service was very kind even if English isn't their first language (and why would it be). This vacation consisted of Barcelona, Paris, and London and this hotel provided the largest room by far. Huge bathroom too which was a nice bonus. My one complaint is that the "King" bed was actually two twins pushed together and I manage to fall through the middle one evening. I thought it was odd that they didn't even try to pin them together. The breakfast buffet was your typical buffet. It also helps that my favorite Barcelona restaurant is around the corner. Ciudad Condal!

My two cents: Great location, pleasant service, nice enough room.

1  Thank CrueDiva
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel El Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Marietta,
Thank you for giving us and world wide your opinions about the hotel and your trip to Barcelona.
We feel very happy after reading your comments and receiving your feedback as we have reached your expectations during your stay with us and viewing that you've enjoyed the hotel facilities and the hotel surroundings.
It will be nice if we can welcome you in a future once again in our property and it will be a pleasure for me to show you all the refurbishments that we are already doing at the hotel
I remain

Deputy Manager

Reviewed 12 September 2013

The hotel has an excellent location. However, three times during my stay the hotel staff came into my room putting the key in the door and opening the door at the same time as knocking.... So really no point in knocking at all. Once this happened when the do not disturb sign was on. The hotel is very basic and I think the good reviews on here are by travellers who are perhaps not so well travelled. The lady on reception was super nice and sorted out any issue I had but the staff in the restaurant need a few lessons in customer service.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank gordonnay

Dear traveler,
First of all thank you for spent your time giving us and world wide your opinions.
We apologize for the incidents happened during your stay, It's an isolated case and nobody has claim never about this matter, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a future.
I remain for any explanation you may need.

Deputy Manager