“Central hitel”

Ranked #156 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Central hitel”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Great location,very grand impressive reception and hotel entrance,concierge .
However the room was not quite up to the same standard,it was dark,gloomy and the wardrobe had chips/chunks missing from the bottom of the doors.The bath had slight mildew.
My biggest bug bear was the lack of tea/coffe or if that is too much how about a couple of small bottles of water?
I have stayed in much lesser grand hotels,infact even the most budget conscious of hotels provide some form of refreshment.
Barcelona is a wonderfull city the hotel is ver convenient for gaudi house etc

Room Tip: This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel,if you can manage to get a room at the front it...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Victoria G
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear traveler,
After reading your comments, I just want to let you know that a few days ago we have finished a full rooms refurbishment and I hope to have the opportunity to show you on your next visit to Barcelona.
I'm glad to see that per our location you have enjoyed your visit to the City and will take note about all your comments.
I remain for any further assistance should you need in Barcelona.

AVENIDA PALACE Hotel* * * *sup
jtomas@avenidapalace.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Outstanding common areas but small, predictable rooms and amenities, overpriced. The biggest drawback from a traveler's perspective is staff who are irritated to offer assistance in selecting restaurants and transportation. Barcelona has other excellent choices which would be preferable. Consider the Gothic Quarter hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Fremont, California
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Avenida Palace Hotel is in a great location. You can take the airport bus directly to the square near the hotel. You can also pick up the Barcelona Bus Turistic which is the hop-on/hop-off sightseeing bus. Lots of restaurants, tapas bars and shopping within walking distance of the hotel.The Hotel is a grand hotel with comfortable, clean rooms. We could see Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia from our hotel room. Continental breakfast has a variety of things to choose from and is a satisfying blend to fuel your body with energy for the Day's activities. The only criticism I have is that the people working the front desk were not very friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear traveler,
First of all Thank you for choosing the Avenida Palace hotel on your last stay in Barcelona.
After reading your review, I've seen that you've enjoyed your stay at the Avenida Palace and our wonderfull city.
We just hope to have you back on your next visit and give you the best atention you deserve.
We deeply apologize if our employees seré not friendo y enjuga that you expected.
I remain for any further assistance you may need.

Deputy Manager
Barcelona
www.avenidapalace.com
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Avenida Palace is an old hotel run by a proud staff. As a result you receive exceptional attentive service from the moment you enter the premises. Top this of with a truly epic location in Barcelona and you have a hotel worrh recommending. As the hotel is old, it seems, the rooms and bathrooms is a bit old, but the served their purpose. Besides, who would want to spend time in your room, when you are in wonderful Barcelona?

• Stayed September 2013
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear traveler,
First of all we want to thank you for all your comments about our hotel.
I want to let you know that we are currently restyling all the rooms at the Hotel and I hope I'll have, in a near future, the opportunity to welcome you again.
Our aim is to welcome you once again on your next visit to Barcelona.
I remain.

jtomas@husa.es
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I once stayed at this hotel just 20 years ago. I took this hotel again because I had a good impression at that time. the location is almost the center of Barcelona and it's very convenient to visit every place such as Las Ramblas, Casa Mila on Passeig de Gracia and so on. This time, I stayed for two nights. There were two problems on this room (No.152), One was an air conditioner and the other was the window. An air conditioner didn't work well even every dial was set to become the room temperature to be minimum. The window is small and nothing could be seen. I felt the room is almost a prison. When I came back at night, I asked a reception staff to check this condition and asked to change a room where an air conditioner functions well and have a fine view. In the next morning, I told his boss that I once stayed just 20 years ago, and he agreed to change a room and I was asked to pack my luggages, if so, they would be moved to a new room. I visited all places I planned and came back to the hotel at around 10 p.m. The new room (No.955) was comfortable and I could see outside (west direction). But the room at higher floor and faced to Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes should be the best.

Room Tip: A room of higher floor and faced to south should be the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We just spent 3 nights here. Yes the location is great. Yes, at one point it was a luxurious hotel. But our experience was not good. The first room we were given was 150. When we open the door we did not get more than one step inside before we turned around and left. The room smelt like 75 Marlboro salesmen had lived in it for the past twenty years. A dreadful combo of old smoke and mildew. Revolting. We went to the front desk, noted the problem and ask for a new room. We were told all rooms are no smoking and it's not their fault if a prior guest did not follow the rules. We said, we don't care, we cannot stay in that room we want a new one. Answer, well someone may have also smoked in the next room if we give you a new one. And we are fully booked so there are no more rooms. It took us several minutes and pointing out that since check in was at 4 PM and it was now only 4.30 there was no way everyone that was checking in could have already done so before he reluctantly agree to dump room 150 on some other sad guest. But no apology. Our new room was 952. Very small, a shower that splashed water all over the floor. A view onto the inside hole of an atrium (Ugly as sin). Worn out towels, TV did not work at all. Basically EXACTLY what you expect of a 4 star hotel living on its past laurels.

When we went back downstairs I told the guy at the front desk that the new room did not smell of smoke and "thank you for switching us". His reply, "well you know it could have smelled bad as well, that's why I did not want to switch you.". What an idiot. No apology, not even when I had thanked him for his help, even though it was reluctant.

Other impressions of the days. The ninth floor as well did not smell that great in general. Breakfast was ok for was it was. Woman checking in at breakfast room was VERY kind and friendly and best member of staff we met. In general it seemed like it was living on its location and turists from countries with lower expectations of cleanliness and service than US or Western Europe. Would never return.

Room Tip: Avoid 150 like the PLAGUE!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank estesman
JavierTomas, Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear traveler,
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the icidents happened during your stay at the Avenida Palace Hotel.
As our staff told you, our hotel is a non smoking hotel and if somebody smoke we can't do anything when the guests are in their rooms but we try to advise about the hotel rules. If the occuppancy is low we can change the room with no problem but if we have a high occuppancy we will do our best to find a solution or the best solution we can find.
Please if you are planning to travel to Barcelona once again in a near or far future, please contact me directly and I'll take care personally about your booking an will have in consideration for what was happened on your last stay with us.
I remain for any further assistance should you need.

AVENIDA PALACE HOTEL* * * *sup
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a lovely hotel with an excellent location. My husband and I have just stayed there after a cruise, for three nights. We had stayed there last year as well. The staff were consistently helpful and gracious. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was very good. The room was large and comfortable with a roomy bathroom. The common areas were well maintained and very attractive. If you are looking for slick, sparse modern decor this is not the hotel for you. We are experienced travelers and have learned to recognize value when we see it. We would return here and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MAE80
Dear Traveler,
It was a pride for us to host you in our hotel during your last stay in Barcelona.
I've seen we reached your expectations at the hotel and also with our classic style.
All what we do at the Avenida Palace Hotel, we do it to welcome you once again .
I remain If you need any assistance on your next trip to Barcelona.

jtomas@husa.es