“Below par for the money”
Review of Hotel Espana

Hotel Espana
Ranked #107 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I booked three nights here for my girlfriends birthday in late June. The rate for a standard room was £110 per night. More than I would usually pay for a hotel but I wanted to treat my girlfriend to some luxury for her birthday.

The location is great if you want to be next to Las Ramblas - it is just down a side street just far away enough to be away from all the noise. I don't remember having a disturbed sleep at all due to noise from outside. The building is nice - the entrance lobby looks lovely as you arrive.

Our standard room was very basic. It's smart, neat and clean but I would have to say I didn't feel I was getting much for the £110 per night. The bed was comfortable - probably the best thing about the room.

On arrival, we found that the safe didn't work. reception sent someone up to fix this for us fairly quickly. The next day when we returned to the hotel after exploring the city, we couldn't get the safe open. Maintenance came again - managed to open it and I got my money out. He wasn't able to fix it that night for us to use though. The manager at the desk allowed us to use the safety deposit box at reception. I explained this wasn't very convenient for us and asked if we could move to another room. He told me this was not possible as they were fully booked and the safe would be fixed first thing tomorrow. As it turns out the safe was not fixed for the remainder of our stay. What I found more annoying than the issue of the broken safe was the completely un-apologetic manor of the manager. Ok so the safe is broken and you're fully booked - these things happen. At least say something like "I apologize for the inconvenience". I felt he couldn't really care less and I was a little sceptical of his claim of being fully booked.

The next issue was the fridge in our room. We had bought some supplies from the shops to make ourselves lunches and breakfast. In the morning we found all our supplies were actually warm. maintenance swapped our fridge ... and we had exactly the same problem again. turns out they were overheating due to the little cupboard they are in. they bought us a third fridge and told us to leave the cupboard door open to prevent it overheating. this didn't really work because each day the cleaner would come in when we were out and close the door. Again - the staff were totally un-apologetic about this issue.

These issues do seem small but for the money - you shouldn't expect them - and the staff should deal with the customers better for a 4star hotel.

One of the main selling points booking this place was that they have a rooftop swimming pool! Sounds awesome!. They really shouldn't advertise this as it is very disapointing when you see it. a couple of metres square and waist deep - they really should describe it as a paddling pool. We heard a few sarcastic remarks about the pool from new arrivals when we were sat on the roof one afternoon.

We enjoyed our trip because Barcelona was a great city to explore - and this hotel is in a pretty good, central location. I wouldn't stay there again as it seems too expensive for the room you get and the service the staff give you. I have stayed in as comfortable 3star hotels with better service for much lower rates in the past.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us did not resulted hundred per cent satisfactory because of the two issues you commented. We will pay all our attention for things like that not to be repeated in the future.
We do apologize for the inconveniences we might have caused and hope you will give us new opportunity to demonstrate you the high quality of all our services.
I remain at your disposal for any further assistance you might require and look forward to welcoming you again at Hotel España in the near future.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here on the recommendation of a AAA brochure on Spain. We found the rooms to be ultra modern, comfortable and reasonably priced. At approximately $200 for a standard queen, and compared to a similar standard in Canada, we felt we got great value.
The archictecture of the common areas was spectacular, and the location, just a block of the Ramblas was appreciated.

We ate breakfast in the hotel and found it to be tasty and well prepared. The buffet is a bit expensive, but if you order the a la carte items, eggs, sausage, bacon etc. we thought we got great value.

Almost forgot. The rooftop pool and bar are very relaxing after a day on the streets. In my mind a better alternative to the crowds at the beach.

Room Tip: There is a little street noise if you are on the street side, but it did not bother me at all.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience in Hotel España with other visitors. it is nice to know that you appeciated the hotels architecture, that you enjoyed the roof top terrace and that you had a good time in Barcelona. For the next time, I would higly recommend you to have lunch or dinner in Fonda España Restaurant, a very tasty option to know about local food!
I hope to welcome you very soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Very centrally located, modern decor and fittings. Staff helpful, admittedly we had few wishes. The superior grade rooms are of a good size and well appointed. Ours had a small balcony overlooking the street which is really a narrow alley. We asked for two separate beds but got a double which is an issue as I was travelling with my adult daughter.The breakfast which is separately charged for is in a stylish room but is minimalistic and not worth it . Rather go out and eat at the Boqueria market or in one of the many cafes in the city. Didn't try the dining room especially after the breakfast experience, as there are many good value and interesting restaurants in the city. If you are into seafood don't miss out on La Paradeta - awsome!

Room Tip: We always try and book a superior room which costs a little extra but the chances are better of gett...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank chrishj
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time and give us your opinion about Hotel España.
I am happy to know that our staff was warm and helpfull and that the hotel services reached your expectations.
About the breakfast, I would like to clarify that it costs 12.50 € for a cold buffet breakfast (bread, fresh fruit, cold meat, juices, coffee, cereals, pastries, ....) and for hot dishes there is low supplement depending on what you demand.
I hope to welcome you in a near future and I would highly recommend the hotel's Restaurant La Fonda España!

Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel is located on a quiet side alleyway but it is the middle of everything in Barcelona. The room sizes are above normal for Europe and they are very nice as well. The room was very clean and well appointed. The lobby was very nice and the staff was very gracious and helpful. You are within easy walking distance of of the major walking malls in Barcelona as well as the port. The subway stop is also very near the hotel and plaza to catch the hop on hop off buses are within an easy walk as well. You can't go wrong with this hotel.

1  Thank rvaughn_1
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

First of all we thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in our city and for you nice words to us. We work very hard for the satisfaction of our guest and it is very rewarding to know we made you enjoy. Also, our perfect location, right in the center of Barcelona, and the subway stop helps to visit Barcelona in an easy way.
Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Staff not too friendly but let's face it, the American luxury standard for customer service is unmatched. Got attitude from front desk when asked to remove an incorrect charge and the bed for two is two singles pushed together, but in all, I got a great deal and would stay again for the design and location. Take advantage of amazing rooftop pool area and late-night Turkish gyro place across the way!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lan P
Reviewed 2 July 2012 via mobile

The location is amazing and it's good value for the money. No service, we had a very bad room looking a hostel. Changing a room was a mission and had to wait a day as they were keen not to clean 2 rooms!! Air condition is stressful as they keep shutting it off every to
E they see you out of your room and it's a negotiating process to get it to work
After switching room, making friends the reception people and get the air condition situation under control then it was a good place to be in
With all the above fun I would go back to it

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

First of all, thank youy very much for taking the time to share with other visitors your experience in Hotel España.
I feel obliged to express that your comment "poor service" has strongly surprised me because We daily work very hard for the satisfaction of our guests. I am happy to know that the problem was solved but I will take care of your opinion although I believe it has been an isolated case.

In the meantime, I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Hotel España in a near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

This hotel is superbly located just of La Rambla, the main tourist avenue of the city. The hotel is clean, smart and elegant in all areas from the lobby, restaurants, bar, roof terrace and rooms. The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful (recommending restaurants, tours etc and also getting my TV going after a signal loss). Their free WiFi is hopeless, but I was provided with the code for their business WiFi which was, after the initial connection, very fast and consistent.
Our room was facing the rear, so was dark - not that we minded as it was away from the street noises and the bright sunlight. The room had no tea/coffee facilities but hey provided water and orange juice free from the minibar. The room decor was Gaudiesque - stylish and arty. Their breakfast buffet was good and could be supplemented with hot food quite cheaply. The restaurant Fonda Espana provided good food, good wine (a recomendation by the maitre de was a white at 15.50 euro a bottle before tax) and reasonably priced. The Fonda staff were pleasant and attentive. Overall - a brilliant hotel to spend a long week-end. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms are all good but ones to the rear are quiet and shady
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Thank tou very much for your nice comments. We are happy to know that you had a pleasent and endearing stay between us, enjoying our terrace, our restauarnt, ... and feeling warmly hosted by our staff.
We hope to see you again in a very near future ... nice moments have to be revive.