“Great Location”

Ranked #101 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Portland, Oregon
“Great Location”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We stayed here in June after our cruise. It is right off of La Rambla and a can ride from the pier. There is a Metro stop a short walking distance away. Plaza Cataluna is a 5 minute walk. St. Joseph Market is right around the corner. The hotel is very modern. The rooms were very contemporary with glass door baths. The design of the interior of the hotels was itself a work of art. The staff were very friendly and spoke English. With Tapas bars so close, we did not get a chance to have a meal here or use the roof top pool.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank X86guy
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in Hotel España during your stay in Barcelona.

We are very pleased to hear that our facilities fulfilled your expectations and that you received a good service from our staff. We work very hard for the satisfaction of our guest and it is very rewarding to know we made you enjoy.

I hope to welcome you again in Hotel España in the very near future. Cordially yours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Hotel is modern, beautiful and all amenities one would expect in this price range are there. A couple of doors from Ramblas, 1 door from opera, spacious bathroom, comfortable double bed, desk, chair, built in closets and safe.

Huge problem is noise from it's interior atrium - restaurant noise echos up to the third floor. Plumbing never quiets down ... if someone above you flushes toilet or takes a shower the noise permeates through the plumbing lines echoing into your bathroom. Built in lighting in bath is low - can't see anything as lights are misaligned with the sinks. Built in lighting in the main room is not over the desk nor the end tables .. impossible to see what you're looking for unless you try to do so during day light (a bit to modernistic to be useful).

Staff was unattentive at the front desk; never said hello, did not know answers to basic questions like where is the closest metro and (maybe I'm being picky here) but started knocking on doors at 8:30 am to ask if it was okay to clean the room.

Choices at the restaurant (breakfast / dinner) and the bar were more expensive than Ramblas which would have been fine if the meal was also.

Having traveled in London, Paris, Madrid, Caracas, Port of Spain, etc AND having lived on a sail boat ... I know I'm an easy going travelor. I'm not sure why this hotel received high reviews when there are many more in the same location offering better service and sound privacy.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a room that has as little noise as possible from it's atrium / plumbing n...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Terri S
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for letting us know about your experience with us.

As per your comments about the staff treatment I believe there was a misunderstanding at some point. Our staff daily works very hard to be warm and helpful to our guests. I really apologized on that matter and I take good note about it.
About the noise in the room, we will double ckeck because it is the first time we have a complaint on that point in interior rooms.

I do apologize for the inconveniences and hope you will give us a new opportunity to show the excellent level of our facilities. Yours cordially.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My friend and I booked to stay here on the threat of another friend that if we did not, she would disown us! And my goodness, thank-you friend for the fantastic recommendation!!
Upon entering the foyer, we knew we were somewhere special. It was flawlessly decorated and styled; modern and impressive. We were greeted by the news that we had been upgraded to an Executive room (from a deluxe)!!
The room was beautiful and the TV was on playing melodic music and greeting me personally (yes, I know it is all computerised, but it is the extra mile details that make a hotel stay priceless!). We had a terrace (you may call it a balcony, but it was spacious and sleek, so a terrace to us). The executive room had a coffee machine (Nespresso, I believe), which my friend assures me was the best! The Rituals bathroom toiletries were divine and smelt amazing. Slightly wierd using a toilet with a partially frosted glass door, but that was within the bathroom itself (and another door) so all is good. The bed was oh so comfortable and air conditioning worked wonderfully (being quite warm in Barcelona).
Now, this hotel is more expensive than your budget hotels, but it is located perfectly in Barcelona. About a 2 minute walk to Las Ramblas and the metro and within walking distance of a lot of other sights.
The hotel's bars and restaurants are fantastic. Food is pricey, but delicious and plentiful. The service is fantastic. Drinks were actually quite cheap (compared to Australia) and abundant - I called them my Gin and Tonic "Fishbowls".
If you are looking for a nice hotel in the heart of Barcelona, you cannot go past Hotel Espana, otherwise I will disown you!!! :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Renee L
First of all we thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in our city and for your very nice words to us.

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Cordially yours,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Great location in the middle of all activity. Front desk staff was excellent. Room was fantastic and sparkly clean. We had executive room with balcony overlooking the city. It was well worth the extra price but still great value. Walking distance to many of the best known sites.

1 Thank SalesPro75207
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
We are very pleased to hear your received a good service from our staff and that the hotel facilities fulfilled your expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Our best wishes for the New Year!
Athens
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Very beautiful and very clean Hotel . All the people that worked there were very kind and very helpful .
The Place of the hotel was the best , it was almost in the center of Barcelona and you could go everywhere just by taking the metro or bus or you can go in Catalunya square and take bus , metro , everything and go everywhere ..
I loved my stay there ..
I will stay again .

1 Thank RenaLiti
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
First of all we thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in our city and for you nice words to us.

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Best wishes for the New Year!
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Me and my wife spent 5 days at Espana hotel. We stayed at a Delux room. Big room (compared to what you typically get in Europe hotels). Very nice, all looks new, modern clean style, comfortable bad, very nice bath room. What you see in the web site is what you get. Location is great, just behind the opera house in the Ramblas (on the Liceu metro station). Breakfast is very good (again, compared to what you typically get in Europe hotels). Staff is friendly and helpful. And finally, the price is fair.

The only small complain I have is that you need to get from the reception a new access code for the WiFi every day (I have seen it also in other places in Europe, I don't understand why it works this way)

2 Thank Gidi B
Thank you very much for your nice comments and for sharing your experience in Hotel España with other visitors.
We take your comments into consideration and we thank you once again for your honest opinion.
We hope to welcome you very soon in Hotel España. Best wishes for the New Year!
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I recently went to Barcelona to attend a ballet performance at the Liceu Theatre. I chose this hotel for it´s location right behind the theatre and just off the Ramblas. In this sense it was perfect . It isn´t expensive compared to other hotels in Barcelona in the same category. Unfortunately this area tends to be noisy .
The concierge was polite but definitely not pleasant. The room was extremely small but modern, clean and comfortable. In the bathroom there was a night light in the floor which was way too strong and there was no way of switching it off. This was very annoying since the bathroom door is glass and there was no way of keeping the room dark at night.
The breakfast seemed expensive so we opted for a café on the Ramblas that serves wonderful croissant.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank giborny
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I take into consideration your comments and I hope to see you very soon. Happy Christmas!