“Beautiful Barcelona ”
Review of Hotel Espana

Hotel Espana
Ranked #104 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Before arrival I emailed staff with queries, they were very helpful & thorough with responses. Staff were again very helpful when staying at the hotel advising on trains to use etc for our next leg of the journey & using their printing facilities.
The hotel was beautiful and an ideal location, we stayed in a deluxe room and it was perfect.
We would not hesitate in staying in this hotel again, it complemented a perfect stay in an amazing city

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your very kind words following your stay at Hotel España.
I am happy to read that you had a wonderful time with us and that you enjoyed Barcelona too.

We also look forward to welcoming you backn!! My kindest regards.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Great position and lovely architecture in reception and stairs etc. our room was a little cramped and dark and I didn't like not being able to tell what he weather was like without going outside to find out! We found the staff very helpful and breakfast was great. The air conditioning was controlled from a central control at reception and did not stay cooland was too warm for us. In the end we turned it off and opened the window so had noise from revellers. Also people below smoked so it came from their balcony into our room. Other peoples doors very noisy and made our room shake. Internet almost non exist ant so rather annoying. It was expensive and I think they need to get their act together a bit more to justify price. Bar staff excellent

Room Tip: Rooms don't live up to grandiose entrance I am afraid but bar staff great. I am afraid we too h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Penny,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for letting us know about your experience with us.
We are very pleased to hear your received a good service from our staff while your stay.

As per your comments about the noise of the doors when closing, our maintenance staff is already checking it in order to minimize the impact.
About internet, I must say that it works correctly and no other comments about it have arrived to me or front desk staff. Anyway, sorry for the inconveniences.

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Cordially yours.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Barcelona was our last port of call, following 5 weeks travelling through Spain. We wanted a quality hotel so we could be as fresh as possible for the long trip home to Australia. This hotel was a good choice. The architecture is beautiful. Location is perfect. Staff were great and no complaints about the room. Our only complaint stems from the fact that room doors are very heavy and make a lot of noise when they close despite the resistance of the door closer. We didn't dine here - there are many great restaurants nearby and, for breakfast, the market is minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen Hotel España for your recent trip to Barcelona.
We appreciate to have your feedback since we are always concerned by the remarks and satisfactions of our guests. About the door comment, I am pleased to inform you that our maintenance staff is already checking it in order to minimize the door impact.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel very soon. My best regards.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel is out of this world realy nice. Close to the ramblas en the metro is just 100 mtr far.

The realy bas thing about thia hotel is the standard room it is not worth the money and when you complain the staff ignors you.

The staff at this hotel and i mean the night receptionist it was an old man dont know his name is just terrible realy realy rude.

I would not come back to this hotel because of this expierience.

Please do something about the poor service because the hotel is realy nice

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Youngcoupple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona.
I am very dissapointed to hear we did not fulfill your expectations due to the attitude of our night staff.
I am honestly upset because We all work really very hard for our guests satisfaction (other reviews corroborate it) and I must understand there has been a missunderstanding at some point.
I take good note of your comments in order to improve service and prevent situations like the one you describe be repeated.

I also remain at your disposal at nborras@hotelespanya.com to provide a private answer and explanation about the unfortunate and exceptional incident.

In the meantime, I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Hotel España in the near future and that you give us the oportunity to demonstrate our heart based hospitality.
Cordially yours.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hotel location is excellent for both business and vacation. Hotel architecture, design and decoration are outstanding. Food and bar are good. Room was small and we can hear noise from other room. We have got very bad experience with Internet access outage for 3 days, from Friday to departure day on Monday with total inability from Hotel staff to do anything about it. The message from front desk; "We cannot do anything because the engineer is not working during week end." or "It is not managed by the hotel". This is not acceptable for the price and level of service especially for Business travelers. I have tried to get a compensation or contact with responsible manager, I got a business card. It could have been way better managed.

Room Tip: Rooms are little bit small. You can hear noise between rooms, so try to be isolated.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Bernard,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in our city.
I am very sorry to hear we did not reach your expectations due to the difficulties with internet connection. I feel obliged to say that this is the first tim that we have problems with the wifi but I take good note of your comments in order to prevent situations like the one you describe to be repeated.

Looking forward to having another opportunity to demonstrate you the high standard of our services and facilities. Cordially yours.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Myself and a friend had a wonderful and very comfortable stay at Hotel Espana in April 2014. It was our first stop on a big European trip where we spent our first 4 nights in Barcelona. We wanted a comfortable hotel where we could rest and recover from our jetlag. Hotel Espana didn't disappoint. Although we never got too much rest as there were so many fabulous things to see and do in Barcelona. Our nights in the hotel were quiet and comfortable. The beds were great. The building itself was spectacular.

It was conveniently located to Las Ramblas, the Gothic Quarter and a multitude of great restaurants. Since we didn't have the breakfast option, we were also glad that there was a Starbucks close by to get our morning fix of coffee. Although there are also lots of great local coffee places in Barcelona too.

We also were appreciative that the hotel had a computer and printer. Very handy for buying and printing our tickets for the Sagrada Familia which we didn't realize we had to purchase in advance.

A special mention to the bartender, who I don't know his name, but he was particularly awesome and friendly when he would open up our wine and give us glasses and snacks for the room. The only negative is that our room keys (cards) seemed to only work once each time and we always had to return to the front desk to get them rekeyed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Jacquie,
First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen Hotel España for your stay in our city and for your nice words to us.
We work very hard for the satisfaction of our guest and it is very rewarding to know we made you enjoy.
I take note about the key trouble in order to check if it is working correctly. I apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Cordially yours,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Hotel location is spot on, you couldn't ask to be in a better position. Booked an exec room, bit disappointed with size if I'm honest, having read previous reviews that standard rooms are small thought best to upgrade. Probably should have gone with the suite. Bathroom design is strange with the unnecessary door in front of the loo?? and the glass shower door opening directly onto the basin is asking for trouble. Can't credit the rooftop bar staff enough he was the happiest, friendliest and professional of all staff encountered. Deserves a mention and a well done for being on his own looking after everyone in the rooftop bar with a smile.
Def dont bother arranging a resort transfer through the hotel you will pay double than the charge direct from an airport cab and dont order a cab via hotel reception because again you are over charged - just jump in one off la ramblas. Def want to recommend a bar/tapas restaurant on la ramblas, the cerveseria - brilliant food, staff and service!

Room Tip: If rooms are important to you you only have the one choice really - the suite!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KMCD1776
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

I do agree that Alaire Ramblas Terrace Bar on the top floor worth at least a visit. Nice atmosphere with friendly and porfessional staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel very soon. My best regards.