“MUY Bonita!”

Ranked #107 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Chicago, Illinois
“MUY Bonita!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel! My only complaint is that the front desk was less then cordial....they lack the people skills that a hotel of this stature should have. The Location is Great........................you are right in the center of all the action. The room was done tastefully and the beds were super comfy. The rooftop terrace was wonderful and the bartender GREAT! Perhaps the front desk should address guest instead of ignoring them and talking amongst themselves. As for the restaurant service it was GREAT! Would I stay here again, not sure..................there are far too many choices who treat their guest the right way.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OneSwtP
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for letting us know about your experience with us.
We are very pleased to hear your received a good service from our F&B staff and I am really sorry to read that it was not so nice from our front desk staff, which I must say it is completely unusual, because we try to offer our best to our guests. I take good note of your comment.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed our beautiful and peaceful terrace on the roof. Tapas & cocktails offered worth to be tasted!

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Cordially yours,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We were drawn to the hotel because of the modern decor. Not only was the room stylish but this staff is very attentive and genuine. They seemed pleased to call taxis, give directions, and recommendations. One small item, but they took care of it at once; it's easy to run a hotel when all is fine, but it's great to know if anything comes up, they are more than willing to make your stay memorable and as carefree as possible (believe me, not worth mentioning). It has two nice bars and two restaurants - only one of which we had time to eat in (see Restaurante Fonda Espana). One thing you should note: as in many European Hotels, rooms can be small (we stayed in the Standard Room) - this was not a problem for us, but always check out square footage (or square meters). I would very definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike16Chicago
Dear Mike,
I am absolutely thrilled to read your feedback following your stay with us and also thank you for taking the time to do this.
We feel happy to have contributed to you all comfortably settling in Barcelona. I have passed on your kind words to all the team.
I am also happy to read that you liked Fonda España Restaurant, nice touch of local cuisine at a reasonable Price in a very special setting.

Looking forward to welcome you soon and thank you for recommending us! My kindest regards,
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Before arrival I emailed staff with queries, they were very helpful & thorough with responses. Staff were again very helpful when staying at the hotel advising on trains to use etc for our next leg of the journey & using their printing facilities.
The hotel was beautiful and an ideal location, we stayed in a deluxe room and it was perfect.
We would not hesitate in staying in this hotel again, it complemented a perfect stay in an amazing city

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your very kind words following your stay at Hotel España.
I am happy to read that you had a wonderful time with us and that you enjoyed Barcelona too.

We also look forward to welcoming you backn!! My kindest regards.
Horley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Great position and lovely architecture in reception and stairs etc. our room was a little cramped and dark and I didn't like not being able to tell what he weather was like without going outside to find out! We found the staff very helpful and breakfast was great. The air conditioning was controlled from a central control at reception and did not stay cooland was too warm for us. In the end we turned it off and opened the window so had noise from revellers. Also people below smoked so it came from their balcony into our room. Other peoples doors very noisy and made our room shake. Internet almost non exist ant so rather annoying. It was expensive and I think they need to get their act together a bit more to justify price. Bar staff excellent

Room Tip: Rooms don't live up to grandiose entrance I am afraid but bar staff great. I am afraid we too h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Penny,
We are very pleased to hear your received a good service from our staff while your stay.

As per your comments about the noise of the doors when closing, our maintenance staff is already checking it in order to minimize the impact.
About internet, I must say that it works correctly and no other comments about it have arrived to me or front desk staff. Anyway, sorry for the inconveniences.

Looking forward to welcoming you at Hotel España in the near future. Cordially yours.
melbourne
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Barcelona was our last port of call, following 5 weeks travelling through Spain. We wanted a quality hotel so we could be as fresh as possible for the long trip home to Australia. This hotel was a good choice. The architecture is beautiful. Location is perfect. Staff were great and no complaints about the room. Our only complaint stems from the fact that room doors are very heavy and make a lot of noise when they close despite the resistance of the door closer. We didn't dine here - there are many great restaurants nearby and, for breakfast, the market is minutes away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen Hotel España for your recent trip to Barcelona.
We appreciate to have your feedback since we are always concerned by the remarks and satisfactions of our guests. About the door comment, I am pleased to inform you that our maintenance staff is already checking it in order to minimize the door impact.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel very soon. My best regards.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel is out of this world realy nice. Close to the ramblas en the metro is just 100 mtr far.

The realy bas thing about thia hotel is the standard room it is not worth the money and when you complain the staff ignors you.

The staff at this hotel and i mean the night receptionist it was an old man dont know his name is just terrible realy realy rude.

I would not come back to this hotel because of this expierience.

Please do something about the poor service because the hotel is realy nice

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Youngcoupple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona.
I am very dissapointed to hear we did not fulfill your expectations due to the attitude of our night staff.
I am honestly upset because We all work really very hard for our guests satisfaction (other reviews corroborate it) and I must understand there has been a missunderstanding at some point.
I take good note of your comments in order to improve service and prevent situations like the one you describe be repeated.

I also remain at your disposal at nborras@hotelespanya.com to provide a private answer and explanation about the unfortunate and exceptional incident.

In the meantime, I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Hotel España in the near future and that you give us the oportunity to demonstrate our heart based hospitality.
Cordially yours.
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hotel location is excellent for both business and vacation. Hotel architecture, design and decoration are outstanding. Food and bar are good. Room was small and we can hear noise from other room. We have got very bad experience with Internet access outage for 3 days, from Friday to departure day on Monday with total inability from Hotel staff to do anything about it. The message from front desk; "We cannot do anything because the engineer is not working during week end." or "It is not managed by the hotel". This is not acceptable for the price and level of service especially for Business travelers. I have tried to get a compensation or contact with responsible manager, I got a business card. It could have been way better managed.

Room Tip: Rooms are little bit small. You can hear noise between rooms, so try to be isolated.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Bernard,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in our city.
I am very sorry to hear we did not reach your expectations due to the difficulties with internet connection. I feel obliged to say that this is the first tim that we have problems with the wifi but I take good note of your comments in order to prevent situations like the one you describe to be repeated.

Looking forward to having another opportunity to demonstrate you the high standard of our services and facilities. Cordially yours.