Hotel Espana
US$217
US$256
US$226
1,682 results
All reviewslas ramblasbeautiful hotelside streetrooftop barsant pauliceu metro stationdeluxe roomperfect locationplunge poolmini bargothic quarterla boqueriarooms are smalltop floorstayed here for nightstapascity break
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The architecture an beautiful fit out in the main parts of the hotel, stairs, restaurant are superb. However, unless you have the suite or one of the 3 larger rooms (with a terrace), you'll be disappointed with the rooms. Overall, it is over priced for what you get. There are insufficient staff to service clients overall. The bas staff on the terrace were great.
I think better can be found in Barcelona.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear John,
I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel during your last stay in our City.
I highly apreciate to read about your sensibility towards the building but I am sorry that the room you got did not fulfilled 100% your expectations. Hotel España was restored in 2010 and all the rooms have modern and stylish design, some of them facing the street and some to a nice courtyard.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope you can give us a new opportunity to demonstrate the high standard of our services and facilities. Kindly yours.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel in my opinion is very dark. The lighting is annoying because you can't see very well, They tried I guess to distract you to the fact that the rooms are very small, almost claustrophobic, at least the one we were given. Not my kind of hotel, I like lots of light and airy rooms.
The Staff seemed at the beginning very helpful until the air con stopped working, when we told the receptionist he came to our room and said he was going to call someone to fix it and if he couldn't find him (his shift was over) he would move us to another room, he promised to call, but he never did, so in our way out we asked why he didn't call us to let us know what was he going to do? He said, sorry I forgot....another receptionist (a girl) asked us to wait and see, at the time we were going out so she said to let her know if the air con was working or not in our return and then they would call the maintenance guy, I said that was unacceptable, I told them to call him first, and make it work or we would look for another hotel. Some people seemed to forget that we are paying customers and they are not making us a favor and the last thing we want to know is about repairing things, It's pointless to argue with a customer, just said you'll take care of it and that's it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovetravel43

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona.
I am very dissapointed to hear we did not fulfill your expectations due to the attitude of our staff and the AACC drawback.

I take good note of your comments in order to improve service and prevent situations like the one you describe be repeated. Sorry for the inconveniences caused.

In the meantime, I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Hotel España. Cordially yours.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

1 block off the exact center of La Rambla, could not get any better as far as getting around. The hotel is very modern yet comfortable. The dining room is beautiful. Staff was very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your very kind words following your stay at Hotel España.
I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us and got to sample all that the hotel has to offer.
I really do hope that you come back and stay with us again in the near future. My kindest regards

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed for 4 nights, 8th to 12th June and were generally very pleased. The location could not have been better with most of the places to visit within walking distance. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and spacious with an excellent shower but the smell from the shower drain was horrible! The breakfast was wonderful with a good selection of cold meats, cheeses, fruit, bread and pastries. Cooked items were available if desired. All the reception staff were extremely helpful and pleasant and we didn't meet anyone who didn't speak English, fortunate because our Catalan is useless!
And now the down side - the aircon in the room was at best feeble, but if left on all day just about kept the room cool. However when Housekeeping went in to make up the room, the aircon was reset to 24 degees, not much use when you come back hot and tired from walking all day! And then the worst part; the 'system' turns off the aircon altogether sometimes, and you have to go to the front desk to have it turned on again. I read this in a Trip Advisor report just before we left and didn't believe it! In the last 20 years I have averaged 100 nights per year in hotels all over the world and have never encountered anything so pathetic in a four star hotel. Perhaps it was just the room we had, but it did nothing to enhance our enjoyment of an otherwise perfect stay.

Room Tip: Request a deluxe room, the standard rooms range from small to very small. As for the aircon............well the hotel needs to sort it out!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Betty,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in our city.
I am happy to read that in all you had a good stay with us but I am very sorry to hear that the air conditioning did not worked properly. The room has already been checked and there was an informatic error about the mínimum and máximum temperature. I do really apologize for.

Looking forward to having another opportunity to demonstrate you the high standard of our facilities. Kindly yours.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We spent a few days in Barcelona in the Hotel Espana. The location is good for being located within walking distance of the central downtown as well as the waterfront. If you are physically able to walk 40 minutes one way you can access most of the city. This hotel is in what I would call an alley off the Ramblas main street, the alley goes through between two main streets. The hotel doesn't look like much from the outside but is very nice inside. One item of note is that the hookers hang out just down the alley so if you have kids you should have some explanation.
The staff was not overly helpful but the facility is in good shape. Our room was very modern and nice and clean. It was pleasantly quiet. There is a roof top lounge/sun deck as well as a bar and restaurant. Compared to many other places we looked at this hotel is a good value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Brook,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona and for letting us know about your experience with us.
I am very pleased to hear you enjoy you stay at Hotel España and that our facilities and location fulfilled your expectations.

We all look forward to welcome you back very soon. Kind regards.