Hotel Espana
Hotel 1898(Barcelona)
US$256
US$201
1,682 results
All reviewslas ramblasbeautiful hotelside streetrooftop barsant pauliceu metro stationdeluxe roomperfect locationplunge poolmini bargothic quarterla boqueriarooms are smalltop floorstayed here for nightstapascity break
Reviewed 20 June 2014

What a architecturally stunning hotel this is. Very aesthetically pleasing. Located well just off La Rambla with the metro station 'Liceu' close by. Rooms are quite small, but the bathroom is a decent size. Our window was opposite a hostel and up until about 1am (when they went out) we were able to hear them partying in their room. This wasn't too much of an issue though. Another issue with the location is as you walk left out of the hotel, it is an area known for prostitution...we walked down there at about 9pm and saw ladies 'offering' themselves to men as they walked past. This was a very uncomfortable sight.

Furthermore, on our last night we wanted a drink in the bar as it was raining...only we went down to be told that we are unable to, due to a 'private party'. This was wine tasting for a group of random people. As a result, we sat in reception waiting for the rain to pass. I understand that we are unable to encroach on a private function, but when the bar is empty as they are tasting in the dining area, they should have been able to cater for those whom have specifically chosen to stay at Hotel Espana for a holiday. If not, then have offered room service at least.

However, we had a lovely stay at Hotel Espana. The roof top terrace is a really nice sun trap area too, which when quiet, is highly recommended!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine for two, a little small, but when in Barcelona how much time will you be spending in the room really?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us to share your experience at Hotel España.
I am happy to know that above all you enjoyed your stay but I really apologize to hear that you could not enjoy the bar area while a private party was taken place. It was a very exceptional situation, and the rain that day obliged us to close the terrace bar. We will pay all our attention for things like that not to be repeated in the future. I do really apologize for the inconveniences we might have caused.

I remain at your disposal for any further assistance you might require and hope to welcome back at Hotel España in the near future. Yours cordially.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The architecture an beautiful fit out in the main parts of the hotel, stairs, restaurant are superb. However, unless you have the suite or one of the 3 larger rooms (with a terrace), you'll be disappointed with the rooms. Overall, it is over priced for what you get. There are insufficient staff to service clients overall. The bas staff on the terrace were great.
I think better can be found in Barcelona.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear John,
I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel during your last stay in our City.
I highly apreciate to read about your sensibility towards the building but I am sorry that the room you got did not fulfilled 100% your expectations. Hotel España was restored in 2010 and all the rooms have modern and stylish design, some of them facing the street and some to a nice courtyard.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope you can give us a new opportunity to demonstrate the high standard of our services and facilities. Kindly yours.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel in my opinion is very dark. The lighting is annoying because you can't see very well, They tried I guess to distract you to the fact that the rooms are very small, almost claustrophobic, at least the one we were given. Not my kind of hotel, I like lots of light and airy rooms.
The Staff seemed at the beginning very helpful until the air con stopped working, when we told the receptionist he came to our room and said he was going to call someone to fix it and if he couldn't find him (his shift was over) he would move us to another room, he promised to call, but he never did, so in our way out we asked why he didn't call us to let us know what was he going to do? He said, sorry I forgot....another receptionist (a girl) asked us to wait and see, at the time we were going out so she said to let her know if the air con was working or not in our return and then they would call the maintenance guy, I said that was unacceptable, I told them to call him first, and make it work or we would look for another hotel. Some people seemed to forget that we are paying customers and they are not making us a favor and the last thing we want to know is about repairing things, It's pointless to argue with a customer, just said you'll take care of it and that's it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovetravel43

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona.
I am very dissapointed to hear we did not fulfill your expectations due to the attitude of our staff and the AACC drawback.

I take good note of your comments in order to improve service and prevent situations like the one you describe be repeated. Sorry for the inconveniences caused.

In the meantime, I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at Hotel España. Cordially yours.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

1 block off the exact center of La Rambla, could not get any better as far as getting around. The hotel is very modern yet comfortable. The dining room is beautiful. Staff was very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your very kind words following your stay at Hotel España.
I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us and got to sample all that the hotel has to offer.
I really do hope that you come back and stay with us again in the near future. My kindest regards

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed for 4 nights, 8th to 12th June and were generally very pleased. The location could not have been better with most of the places to visit within walking distance. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and spacious with an excellent shower but the smell from the shower drain was horrible! The breakfast was wonderful with a good selection of cold meats, cheeses, fruit, bread and pastries. Cooked items were available if desired. All the reception staff were extremely helpful and pleasant and we didn't meet anyone who didn't speak English, fortunate because our Catalan is useless!
And now the down side - the aircon in the room was at best feeble, but if left on all day just about kept the room cool. However when Housekeeping went in to make up the room, the aircon was reset to 24 degees, not much use when you come back hot and tired from walking all day! And then the worst part; the 'system' turns off the aircon altogether sometimes, and you have to go to the front desk to have it turned on again. I read this in a Trip Advisor report just before we left and didn't believe it! In the last 20 years I have averaged 100 nights per year in hotels all over the world and have never encountered anything so pathetic in a four star hotel. Perhaps it was just the room we had, but it did nothing to enhance our enjoyment of an otherwise perfect stay.

Room Tip: Request a deluxe room, the standard rooms range from small to very small. As for the aircon............well the hotel needs to sort it out!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nuria B, Director General at Hotel Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Betty,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel España for your stay in our city.
I am happy to read that in all you had a good stay with us but I am very sorry to hear that the air conditioning did not worked properly. The room has already been checked and there was an informatic error about the mínimum and máximum temperature. I do really apologize for.

Looking forward to having another opportunity to demonstrate you the high standard of our facilities. Kindly yours.