“DEPENDS WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Plaza de Cataluna

Ranked #49 of 698 things to do in Barcelona
Adelaide, Australia
379 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 308 helpful votes
“DEPENDS WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Probably depends what you are looking for with how Catalunya Square is viewed. It is a transport hub, big, busy, shops, hotels, restaurants, some fountains with a large open space. Wouldn't go out of way to find it but it is more than likely you will stumble upon it walking around anyway.

Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not the Red Square it is the Catalunya Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Everything happens from this square, to start off you have the Red and Green Barcelona Hop on off bus ( two different companies offering the same services, the Green bus offers three routes versus two routes on the red bus). You have the Barcelona Hard Rock Cafe, the bigning of the 1 KM La Ramblas walk to the harbour, The vibrant shopping centres such as El Corte Ingles, the Triangle Shopping centre followed by all the Tapas

1 Thank Ramster_Sharm
Kas, Turkey
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Heart of the City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a good place to sit and relax and watch the world go by or to use as a starting point. Coach trips run from here and the Metro is close by (Buy a ten ride ticket if you intend to use the Metro more than once). Plenty of shops about and it is at the start of Las Ramblas. We were warned by our local hosts to look out for scams and pickpockets but in truth had no problems (but please be aware.)

Visited April 2014
Bolney, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice area, spoilt by violent con man”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Dancing dolls scam.

This is an old scam. A man stands beside a tape recorder playing music. There are some small dolls that jig up and down to the music. When he stops the music they stop dancing. The trick : there is some invisible fishing line attached to the back of the tape recorder, the tape recorder is rigged to move this line up a down and make the dolls dance.

There's a guy who I kept seeing near the Hard Rock Cafe on Cataluya Square (at the top of the Ramblas), he was doing this scam every day, while the police stood around in a group just 50 yards away.

One day while I was waiting for a coach I watched the con man scamming an old guy. I went up and explained it was a con and tried to show the old guy the fishing line.
The con man was very aggressive, he pushed me away and then gripped flesh on my stomach and squeezed. I still have the bruises. It was the only way he could hurt me and not be seen doing it. He said in a strong Russian accent that he would cut out my lung. (Only 1 lung?). Followed by a stream of further threats and abuse.

I walked back to wait for my coach, but he packed up his stuff and came after me. Lots more threats about cutting off my head etc followed. Also he kept insisting I go with him, so he could show me what he would do to me. I declined and said we should go and have a chat with the police. He went and got his friend, another Russian, who was a bit calmer. Eventually they left.
All the time I was being threatened the con man kept looking around, in case the police came. That and the people around who were watching probably saved me from getting beaten up.

Thinking back, what I did was pretty foolhardy. Next time I'll just ignore or tell the police about the scam, not that they seem bothered.

Ps if you are in area look out for the con man, he's about 6ft (1.83m), aged about 25, short dark hair, looks like he is in the gym a lot, wears t-shirts.

1 Thank Steve C
Fredericton, Canada
168 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“center of everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Nice large park and seems to be the center of Barcelona. Las Ramblas starts here and a good place to start all of the other tour areas. Lots of bus and the metro stop here. Pretty with statues and fountains