“Great stay”

Positives:
- Clean, modern room
- Helpful reception staff
- Comfortable bed
- Good breakfast (for extra €)
- Central location

Minor negatives only:
- hot water wasn't working late one night but was fixed by the morning
- wifi can be maxed out with users during peak times, meaning you can't access it. Again, this was available in the morning.

Neither of these negatives caused us any real inconvenience. They are the only reason I didn't give a 5/5 rating.

We enjoyed our time at Chic & Basic Ramblas and would definitely stay here again if looking for accommodation in this price range.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Nice and good hotel within short walk from la rambla.. Enjoyed my stay here. Rooms are clean and they have good bathrooms and shovers.. Reception is nice and cozy. Staff was really helpful, everything worked well. Could visit this hotel again if I´m going to Barcelona.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lauri H
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Could not fault this hotel. We stayed during the 2nd week of June 2014 for 3 nights for a trip to Barcelona for my 25th birthday. This hotel is in a great location, at the start of La Ramblas.

The hotel reception is clean, very funky with a reception desk made from old suitcases, and the staff are very helpful and make sure you have a room that suits you and your needs.

The rooms are clean, decorated nicely and have everything you expect such as bathroom with great shower and storage, and a mini kitchenette with fridge, sink and hob.

The beds are comfortable and made everyday by housekeeping.

All in all, this hotel should not be overlooked due to being basic.

Basic definitely isn't the word to describe this wonderful hotel.

Definitely rebooking with this hotel when we visit Barcelona again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank EmSwads
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This lovely boutique hotel is strongly recommended if you are looking for a quiet hotel in the city centre, next to Rambla and just 1 km from Plaza Catalania. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are small but clean and comfortable. The only remark we have is the lack of a comfortable chair in the room. We only found two bistro chairs, of which one was broken and the rooms are far from cosy without any picture, painting whatsoever. It is all white and grey and for me it was a little depressing. Also the breakfast is recommended with a variety of rolls, cakes and also American breakfast. Over all yes, we will come back for sure.

Room Tip: there are bigger rooms we noticed, you may ask for them when booking
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

It just exactly what you need for a long weekend to cruise through Barcelona and being few miles of everything to get the taste of the city and the Catalane art! Coming back to the hotel, it has a great concept and warm architecture, kind of a vintage. Myself and better half are in love with it and no more no less needed. Moreover, the staff are friendly and helpful that have shared input at every step out to street. Last but not least, it is a neat place with nice corners close to lobby whether you wish to lay back for coffee, have a quick and feel home breakfast or take an afternoon refreshing drink after a Long walk in town. Bottom line very good value of money and friendly experience.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hicham D
Reviewed 12 June 2014

we stayed here this may for 3 nights before leaving on a cruise. we were a family of 6, parents, 3 kids and grandma in two rooms. One regular room and one 3 person room.

pros:
-the location is great, literally a 3 minute walk from the bottom of the ramblas and the drassenes metro station. this alone makes the hotel worth the very reasonable price. the staff has also quite helpful and forthcoming and were even willing for us to leave our begs with then after returning from our cruise before our flight.

-in addition, they had free wifi which was easy enough to access and always worked. based on my recent experience in Europe, this is not a given at all.

-the lobby itself is quite nice, although a lot smaller than you would think based on pictures you see from their web site. quite often during breakfast it is a little hard to find a place to sit.

-the patio is also pleasant enough and a nice respite from the craziness and crowds on the ramblas

cons:
-the upkeep of the rooms is not great. the carpets weren't in the greatest shape and the bathrooms could have been a lot cleaner

-the kitchen is pretty useless. the hotplate takes ages to warm up and the pans are old and dirty that they start to smoke. also there is no detergent or sponge to clean up with.

-there really isn't any closet space or cabinet for your clothes

Summary: would I stay here again? I don't know. The location is really great so I guess if I didn't have a lot of time and i was with kids in tow I would say yes. if I ever come to bcn with my wife I would probably look for a place with a little more charm, even if it was a little further away from anything.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 5th floor which meant waiting a bit for an elevator during the morning rush. might...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elliott S
Reviewed 10 June 2014

There is so much to like about this hotel. It has style, personality, character with staff who are friendly, helpful and who are professional and unpretentious. I found this hotel online so after a few weeks travelling was used to finding places that did not match expectations. Although a little more expensive, it met my expectations and more because the owner had a vision and an idea.

The hotel is two minutes walk from Drassanes Metro Station on Las Ramblas. An easy walk to restaurants, bars and all the exotic haunts of an ancient city. And one tip...visit Montserrat, only 90 minutes away via an efficient rail connection.

The hotel is unpretentiously stylish and consumnately relaxed. I enjoyed the ambience and feel of the place, qualities which I find difficult to fully explain.

My room was very clean, tidy and larger than I expected. It was very comfortable.

When I arrived, I realised that I had booked the wrong dates, for which I felt alarmed uncomfortable obviously as well as like a total idiot. Within a few minutes, the reservations manager, Samira Ayat had arranged a room for me and a solution to my difficulty. This was done very professionally and with a minimum of fuss. I recouped my losses not long after my return home to Australia. The staff all spoke excellent English which some people may find as refreshing as I did.

All in all, I want to return to Barcelona and Chic and Basic Ramblas. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo