“fun, fun fun”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“fun, fun fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

definetely a must do .... and a way to meet loads of happy people!!!:) plenty drinks and the food is tasty (not great but still worth it)

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lorenzomitz

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Walking Tapas and Information Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I arranged this tour before traveling to Barcelona. Dirk provided information and the payment process was seamless through paypal. Our directions to the meeting point were good and we emerged from the Metro to find David, our guide, waiting in the assigned spot with a card listing the names of the parties on the tour. There were to be five of us on the tour (our 4 plus 1) but the one never showed. We waited a bit and then proceeded. Thus, we had a private tour. David was very entertaining and spoke fluent English. We learned more from David in 3 hours than we did from our 6 hour informational tour guide. The first stop was the shop with various local olive oils, salts, wines and cavas. Everything was fresh for us, we were offered drinks other than wine (we had two teenagers) and were off to a good start. The next three stops all offered a different flavor and were all very good / excellent. The second stop was for pintxos, the third stop more rustic with salumi and finally the anchovy restaurant. We had fun at each stop, with David providing information on the food and the restaurant at each place.

When we finished, David helped us to get to the Fountains for the start of the show. All in all, a great evening for my family.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank RC1908
Johannesburg, South Africa
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Not the "best tapas tour" as advertised”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The email I received when I booked read "congratulations you have chosen the best tapas tour in Barcelona" well if that was the best then I'm glad I did not pay more.
Our guide arrived late without any info board or sign highlighting who she was. I have been on many tours/excursions and I have always been able to recognize who the guide was because they had some sort of branding/signage. None the less once we established the group, we had to sort out who hadn't paid. Surely she should know who this was beforehand and address the relevant people. We sort of found out along the way who we all were as no introduction had been done. I still don't know the guides name. We then started the tour with a guide who had no clue where she was going, she followed a gps on her phone. I was lead to believe that ex would get a bit of insight to the area, and we got nothing. This in my opinion is a very poorly trained guide who did not know the city she was guiding people around.
The advert states four tapas bars. The first place was a shop that sells overpriced olive oil and there was a table with some sad looking soggy bread on plates. It looked like it had been standing there for some time already. There seemed to be a confusion as to the place settings and there weren't enough. Also there was as only wine available no other drinks. The only info we received on the tapas was that it was local. There was no atmosphere, our guides English was not up to the task of communicating with our group. The next place we got to was closed, we then went on a walk about and she couldn't tell us anything about the area. When it did open it was a quant little place with some really nice "chicken" that turned out to be fish. The beer was good and the fish was really nice. The 3rd place was busy with no tables available with really "friendly" staff. We received a sample drink of cider and two tapas that we could choose. Again the only info it was local. The last place was like squeezing cattle into a kraal. Here the food made up for the lack of space. It was plenty and it was good. The beer just as good.
I would not recommend this tour, I agree with the other comments of maybe paying more and getting better value. I would in the future do it on my own , it's cheaper and you can choose what to eat and drink.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank dbs_11
Jerome41, Owner at Tapas Tours Barcelona, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Customer, I am sorry to hear you did not like the tour. You have been on the same tour like mustlovedogs, the review before. Your guide was Marta, a catalan girl from Barcelona. It was her last tour and she does not work any more for Tapas Tours Barcelona. By the way: on a tapas tour in the old town of Barcelona you can not expect, especially in the high season, to find empty tables and chairs in every bar. It is normal (also with locals) to eat your tapas while standing at the bar. Kind regards Dirk
Community of Madrid, Spain
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Very disappointed & would not recommend! Pay more and get a real tapas tour!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The four of us went on this tour with 7 others who also showed up. The guide, who was apparently on only her third tour, showed up a few minutes late, scrambling to find her list of names and confused about who paid and who hadn't. It wasn't a good start, but we were hopeful that once the logistics got settled, we could have a good tour.

We set off for our first location, with no introductions of the group, no background or information from the guide except her name, and no conversation whatsoever. I was perplexed, but thought maybe it was because we were running late. The first stop is a wine and olive oil shop. We walked in and the guide looked confused about what to do. She managed to tell the shop owner that we are a tour. Literally the only thing she said to us was, "red or white wine?" After we answered, we went to a cramped area to have the wine with a few tapas. They didn't have enough wine/plates set out for everyone, so as the confusion ensued, it was uncomfortable. Eventually they managed to get everyone settled with wine and tapas. They we were told to start, with no explanation about the food or the wine. I asked what we were eating and why these wines/foods might be special to the region. I got very little info. I chalked it up to our guide's English being pretty poor. By this time, I knew were not going to have a great experience.

To save time here, I'll just say that the entire tour lacked any personality, information, history, interesting tidbits, etc. Most places we did not know what we were eating or what we were doing because it was so poorly disorganized. yes, we got tapas, beer and wine, but we could have done that on our own for cheaper without a guide. So this was one big flop of a tapas tour.

At one point, we showed up to a place and they weren't even open. The guide asked us to walk around the area for 10 minutes. Since my group of 4 had already explored that area earlier in the day, we preferred to stand waiting. The guide couldn't understand us, even though I spoke a bit of my poor Spanish with her. It was awkward. Then when they did open, she couldn't find English words to describe what we were eating, besides "fish" or "salad". Not good.

We almost left a location with a tour participant who was traveling solo because the guide didn't bother to count if everyone was there before moving on. Luckily my husband observed that we were missing one and we waited... she was in the bathroom. The guide would have left her behind! Isn't this rule #1 of touring?

And finally, two places were not prepared for us to show up. I'm not sure if our stopping points were spontaneous or if they were planned. But those two didn't seem planned. The shops were surprised to see such a large group and struggled to accommodate us. In some cases, people had to awkwardly stand because there wasn't seating for all of us.

I contacted Dirk after the tour to share my disappointing experience, allowing him more than a week to resolve this issue prior to me posting this review. All he said was the tour guide was new, if others on the tour give similar feedback he will fire her, and all the rest of what we experienced was to be expected (standing, waiting, poor English from Catalans, etc).

Bottom line - pay more and tour with someone else. Lest you get a very poor experience like I did, especially if he is going to be hiring more new guides without properly choosing and training them.

Visited June 2014
8 Thank MustLoveDogz
Jerome41, Owner at Tapas Tours Barcelona, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Must Love dogs, I am sorry you did not like the tour. But Tapas Tours Barcelona does not accept any blackmailing like "Give me part of my money back or I write a bad review on trip advisor." Have a nice day, Dirk Engelhardt
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Taking a walking Tapas Tour is a wonderful way of not only seeing Barcelona but experiencing the local Foods and wines of the area. The guide ( whose name I can not spell) was a very knowledgeable local who amused us with her many stories and it was a wonderful and fun way of getting to know the real Barcelona. Much of the tour is in the back streets of the city where most of the people do not speak English and the history behind a lot of the meats, cheeses and wines is interesting not to mention tasty.This was indeed one of the highlights of my stay and I am so very happy that I chose to do this tour. It is also I felt very good value for money.

Visited May 2014