“Excellent Services”

Ranked #17 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Menlo Park, California
“Excellent Services”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

First rate services; excellent location. All the staffs are very knowledgeable from where to shop and eat to getting tickets for "hot" spots. It is definitely worth the extra to stay at the executive suite. I would highly recommended Alma over any other hotels I have stayed before in Barcelona.

1 Thank tkng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We just returned from our trip to Spain. While in Barcelona, we stayed at the Hotel Alma for five nights. The hotel was recommended to me by someone who contributes to tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. We stayed in an Executive Suite which was also recommended, and it was well worth the additional expense. We prefer a firm mattress and the bed was the best we've had anywhere we've traveled. The bathroom was very modern and spacious and the walk in shower had a fantastic rain shower head. Wi-fi was free (our U.S. hotels should adopt that courtesy). The refrigerator was stocked daily free of charge with two types of juice, water (still and sparkling) and cokes. You could not ask for a better location just off the Passeig de Gracia (like Fifth Avenue in NYC). And - the Concierge staff was unbeatable. Many thanks to Miquel, Angeles, Xavi, Norman and Nuria for their friendly, warm and helpful attitudes. Each of them rendered impeccable service. We arrived strangers and left friends. I truly feel certain anyone who stays there will feel the same. When we booked Hotel Alma several months ago, it wasn't rated the Number One hotel in Barcelona, but now it is, and it richly deserves that honor!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JaniceA885
Durham, UK
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I cancelled the Pullman Skipper for Alma and stayed in 2 executive suites with my husband and 2 young children and a teenager.

The website photos don't use clever camera techniques to improve aesthetics. Everything is faithfully represented; the epitome of understated, no-nonsense neat, sprawling and, almost, masculine charm. Not quite what springs to mind for accommodating a family of five including three fairly girly (or was that giddy?) daughters. But Alma overcame all my stereotypes and ticked all the boxes for a good family luxury hotel at an unbelievably affordable price. There are niggles but almost all is forgiven because the staff are simply great at what they do; hospitality.

Check-in: Slow but pleasant. Staff are attentive, informative and polite without being intrusive. But with young children and a cool finger scanning machine (rooms are keyless and use finger print recognition for entry), check in took longer than I suspect is normal.

First niggle: We found our room alone. I want to dump our bags and explore asap so I like to have things (no matter how obvious) explained to me and someone to answer questions, e.g. We had 2 separate executive suites separated from the public corridor by a door making them self contained. We couldn't open this corridor door so called reception for help who explained how to do it (scan your finger as normal, instead of turning the handle to open the door, you have to give it a sharp pull towards you and then a quick push/ shove away from you and it opens. Now, WHO would have guessed that?).

Rooms: Rooms are spacious, thoughtfully laid out and comfortable. Big beds, pillow menu, huge shuttered windows, quality toiletries (Bulgari), drinks galore (free and non-alcoholic, a lovely touch of hospitability). No tea or coffee making facilities but we breakfasted early and I was served coffee promptly. Speaking of breakfast, it IS expensive at 25Euro per person but served by wonderful staff and offers hot and cold breakfasts. The children loved their freshly cooked scrambled eggs and cheesy omelettes. There were masses of choice of drinks from Champagne and Cava on ice to "healthy gut" drinks (whatever they're called) and various fresh juices.

There is no main light in the rooms but lots of strategically placed lamps and reading lights which was fine for me (good mirrors and lights in the bathroom). My husband preferred a main light but read and worked on his laptop without any difficulties. The separate bathroom was great. Big enclosed rain shower, deep baths, twin sinks, loads of towels and separate toilet and bidet. Children be careful on the floor. I have a four year old who runs everywhere, never walks, and she slipped twice on the polished marble bathroom floor. Wet bathroom floors are always a perpetually-running-child hazard, even at home, so I do not attribute this as a criticism of Alma. Housekeeping did a great job several times daily and left chocolates and water every night. Free Wi-Fi in the room and good air con. There was street noise but my husband is a light sleeper and it didn't bother him at all.

Facilities: The kids loved the infinity pool. It was not deep so they felt brave and my husband swam laps. I enjoyed the steam room but was too chicken for the dry heat room (HOT!!!). The gym was a sparse with only a Pilates belt, bench press and weights. LOADS of towels and refreshments and everywhere was clean!!

Location: I loved the fact that Alma wasn't showy and pretentious looking. Just around the corner you have flashy hotels with gigantic flamboyant signs looking pompous next to equally ostentatious looking designer shops which is fine, I love shopping and love staying in flashy hotels. But I appreciated the understated and quiet reserve of the Alma. It was refreshing. The children walked everywhere. Very rarely did we need to take taxis anywhere because almost everything was within walking distance and so much to see on the way. The hotel staff always booked special taxis to fit all 5 of us if we ever needed it (they would book everything for us from dinner reservations to activities).

Why did I dock a point? I love "Watching the English" by Kate Fox because I recognise so much of myself and people I know in it. I went to check out with tonnes of luggage and children in tow half an hour before my car was due to give me enough time to settle and get to the airport (Alma actually booked my car and explained to the driver I wanted to be early). Reception was full and we were told to wait in the lobby until they were free. After 20 mins of waiting most patiently 2 people walked past with luggage. After 21 mins I sent my husband to investigate again. Unbelievably, they had just begun to check out the 2 people who walked past us with luggage and when my husband questioned it, they asked "We're sorry, we have started checking them out now so can we just finish it? We'll be as quick as we can". We finally got to our car just after half past, 50 minutes after getting to reception (with young children), our driver had waited for 25 mins (he arrived 5 mins early) and paying nearly choked me because they had made me wait nearly an hour for that privilege. I hate queue jumping and tardiness ...

Room Tip: If in doubt, ask! There is so much going for this hotel that is not proactively explained by staff...
5 Thank TBopper
London
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I recently stayed five nights at The Alma hotel Barcelona and wasn't dissapointed. The hotel and the overall space were lovely and an oasis from shopping and sightseeing in the June heat of the city. Our room was simple and well finished, best of all it was big, with a large bathroom and separate toilet (something I can't recall seeing in a hotel in a long time).

As all the other reviews about The Alma say, 'the staff are lovely', and I can only concur. All were charming and incredibly helpful. If in Barcelona again I would stay again. I now want to see where their other hotels are and perhaps plan my next trip around them.

The Alma deserves to be a success, which I hope it will be.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel look onto the terrace and garden.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wil04

1. Very stylish hotel and modern rooms and lobby
2. Very friendly staff at the reception
3. Extremely comfortable bed and soft linen

The negative side is that the room is very dark at night. Not enough lights in the room or in the lift. They were also late in cleaning our room (they did it around lunch time though we had left it since the morning)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kokaloca
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 June 2012

It feels like a boutique hotel, but the rooms are enormous. The service was superb, and the location ideal with Gaudi's La Pedrera literally right around the corner. If you'd like an upscale hotel in Barcelona, this will do nicely.

1 Thank Craig N
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Very good Hotel with excellent team of people that really want to look after you. During our stay we were always greeted with a smile and looked after every need.
Considering it's location the price was in line with what you expect to pay.
Had a very good relaxing time here (even with our two year old)

• Stayed June 2012