We stayed at the Alma Barcelona whilst in Barcelona for a weekend visit. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels in Spain including a few in Barcelona so will use those as a reference.
We were initially surprised given that our taxi driver did not know where the hotel was although he passed by that area often. When we made it to the building we realized why; the building is very sober and there are no big hotel signs so you can easily pass by it without realizing that it is a hotel. Once inside things change quite a bit. You are quickly seated in a nice desk to make the check-in and as you wait you are offered cava or other refreshments. The decoration is very modern but in a good way (not IKEA-like but rather modern museum feel). There are some nice perks to the place like being able to use your finger-print to open your door or the fact that you get free internet (make sure you restart your apple devices as there seems to be some sort of issue with apple and their internet - once rebooted everything works fine though)
The building is located in the nicer part of Barcelona. Right by high-end stores and walking distance from the Sagrada Familia. Nothing to say here.
Very nice and elegant rooms following the same sort of decor as the reception area. Big TV, comfortable bed and nice bathroom toiletries (what seemed to be a hotel brand but the nice kind). Large closets, nice shower with a big shower head (rain-like). The AC worked very well and was very silent. So no complaints overall.
The spa and gym
It seems like these days all hotels need a spa to be considered a 5 star. This is not a spa hotel...but they have a small but reasonable spa area. Masseuses are asked to come in for specific appointments so make sure to make yours in advance. The actual service is quite nice although the massage room is a bit basic. There are also a couple of small saunas (dry and humid) and a funny pool (only about 50cm deep so don't expect to swim a lot). There is a small gym with a few machines (i.e. a stationary bike and a couple of other machines). Not a great gym but should do the trick for most people.
- If you need a cab make sure to order it in advance - you can typically get one on the street if you are not in a hurry but if you actually NEED one you should know that ordering one in the hotel takes a good 10-15 minutes
- The breakfast is expensive (35 euros I believe) - in the end we went to the Pain Quotidien which is a couple of blocks away; I can't speak to the quality of the breakfast since we prefered to get our cereal and yogurt outside the hotel
- The hotel will help you get restaurants...but I would suggest you book them yourself well in advance (and do your own research); the nice hotels are fully booked 1-2 weeks in advance (and the really nice ones even before that) so make sure you reserve your table well in advance if you are into fine or trendy cuisine
- If you need any special item (shaving cream, toothpaste) just get it on your way in (they are well stocked in the reception); they will gladly take it to your room but it might take a good 15-20 minutes (and the rooms only have soap and shampoo)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The AlmaBarcelona hotel is housed in an elegant building which dates back to the start of the 20th Century. Located right in the heart of Barcelona, just a few metres from the famous Passeig de Gràcia. With its proximity to the Batlló house, La Pedrera, Las Ramblas, Plaza Catalunya, Barcelona Cathedral, Palau de la Música, L'Auditori and numerous other popular tourist attractions, the AlmaBarcelona has one of the best locations in the city. Its 72 rooms are separated into classical and modernist accommodation, providing an interior unlike any other. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Priceline, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Alma Barcelona reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alma Barcelona Hotel Barcelona
- Alma Barcelona Catalonia