“Amazing Experience!”
Review of Alma Barcelona

Alma Barcelona
Ranked #18 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The staff were so friendly and helpful. We had such a lovely weekend away! I would definitely recommend the Alma Barcelona to anyone travelling to the city. They gave us amazing recommendations, upgraded our room, and they were always there to answer any questions we had. What a lovely trip!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Best place to stay in town.
Good taste is in every detail. Garden is an oasis, service is outstanding. The only thing is that hairdryer is not the best, if you need to style your hair bring yours. Every other thing is perfect. We love our stay at Alma, and certainly will come back.

Room Tip: Rooms garden view are 100% silent. Good taste is in every detail
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Silvina N
Reviewed 14 March 2014

From the moment we walked through the Alma Hotel doors until we left 6 days later, we had an unforgettable experience.

Every single aspect of this hotel is 6-7 star plus.
Marcos, one of the concierges was absolutely outstanding as was every other member on that team and the front desk.
We were always made to feel like we were VIP's.

We had an Executive Suite that was almost a mini apartment in size. The room was beautifully appointed with high quality amenities.

We had dinner in the hotel on two occasions and the quality of the food and service was excellent.

The spa is also worth a visit with a very calming atmosphere. If you can obtain a massage from Inma, don't pass up on the opportunity. Your body will thank you for it.

On any future trip back to Barcelona, we wouldn't consider any other hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank GOSH55
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Base on Trip Advisor high ratings we booked Alma Barcelona. In February I stayed here for 5 nights with my family. We had separate rooms. My family stayed on the 1st floor, while I stayed on the 2nd floor overlooking the inner courtyard. We were excited to see pictures of the indoor pool. We were looking forward to stay at this hotel. We even used their paid hotel shuttle. After providing all the flight and guests information. I called to followed up. In the email, Alma emphasize: "We would like to inform you, that the cost of the transfer is 112€ per way, the car would be a Mercedes class "E", with an English speaker driver." <--- That didn't happen of course. He spoke very little English. We were picked up with a Mercedes S class. Which was fine, I didn't ding this rating base on the car. Of course there was plenty more dissatisfied services that made me rate this hotel as Average. Please read on.

When arrived for check-in my first impression of this hotel was WOW so dark. We were greeted quickly by the hotel staffs. We check-in hassle free until we asked information such as the pool hours. Then the staff answered and told us in order to get in the pool they need to scan our fingerprint to open the door. Apparently there's no separate key for the guest and the only way to access the pool is by fingerprint. We scanned our thumbs multiple times until the savvy computer system read our fingerprints. When asked do we want keys for our rooms. We took the traditional method of getting a solid key. Thankfully we made the right choice based on past experience.

Next I inquired tours and fast train information. The staff said, they can book for us. So we gave them our credit card to book for Renfe Railway. But again they experienced problems with lagging website to down computer system. We gave them several credit cards to tried to buy a pair of Renfe Railway tickets. From check-in to trip booking, it took over an hour and nothing got through. That's before we even got to our rooms. Finally, after countless tries I decided to cancel the process and rather deal with the online purchase myself.

Speaking of which... I praise their innovation of high security level on internet user. Apparently they have a separate login & password for each Wi-Fi device good for 7 days.

Next comes to a non working phone in the room. Thankfully I have google voice on my laptop. I had to use my google voice to called the hotel number to do a "Room-to-Room" phone call. <-- Seriously unbelievable!!

When reported to the front desk that my room phone was not working. The gentleman repeated that I have to hit the number and dial icon to make the call. Of course I know that, but there was no dial tone. No matter what buttons I pushed. As a guest staying at a Luxury Hotel, I shouldn't have to troubleshoot.

Not only my room phone wasn't working. When I reached my family at their room. I was told they weren't able to make any calls out. So again, I took out my laptop and connect with google voice.

Apparently, I also learned they experience trouble with the pool door scanner. It wouldn’t read the fingerprint. When complained to the front desk. One of staff kept saying is no hassle for us to open the pool door for the guest. He said, just come to the front desk. Apparently, they don't understand guest perspective! Guest like myself or my family member don't want to go to the front desk with our ropes on ready for the pool. There's no hotel phone beside the pool door. Guest would have to take the elevator up to reach out a hotel staff or go back to their room to make a call to report door issue to the phone desk. <-- Seriously, this proof that modern technology is very inconvenience!!

Also, I’m not a big fan to their open shower. No matter how gentle I shower, the water splashes everywhere on the floor. Why didn’t they put a glass sliding door? I booked this hotel hoping to have a relax vacation. But Alma modern design puts me to work. I had to laid layers of towels on the floor every time after showering. So I won’t slip because puddle of water.

In terms of clean hospitality, Alma is not clean! I accidently dropped my camera bag on the floor. When I picked up, it was covered in dust. It was a matter of 3 seconds on the floor. How can a luxury hotel be so dirty?!! Dust was visible on the edge of the wall, underneath the TV, in the closet and basically everywhere on the floor. This is so disgusting!!

Food wise at the hotel was acceptable. I enjoyed the breakfast very much especially the salmon bun, cheese and hams.

Staff are professional, helpful and friendly.

Rating is base on hotel lack of working high tech devices, cleanliness, food and staff.

Score is base on 5 being the highest.

High Tech Device - 2
Cleanliness - 1
Food at the Restaurant - 5
Hotel Staff - 4

Alma Barcelona is definitely a 3 stars hotel for me. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't recommend to stay here period.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank EExpeditions
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The hotel is located in the Fifth Avenue area of Barcelona....so if you don't have any self control leave your credit card in the room as you will be heavily tempted to shop till you drop.

The rooms are clean and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. It's easy to find cheap meals as well as high end restaurants, and only a 25 minute ride from the airport.

The breakfast buffet is served until 11am so you can lie in and still find plenty of fresh tasty food.

I had the best sleep so far in a hotel - the bedding is comfortable and of high quality, and the ambiance is soothing and calming.

The hotel has a nice spa, equipped with a swimming pool and steam room. There is also a gym, but please note that as a slightly boutique hotel, don't expect equinox in the basement.

If you

Room Tip: Look for rates on discount websites as the property is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Spent 6 days here between Christmas and New Year. Hotel was beautifully furnished and in a great location. Breakfast was relaxing and nothing too much trouble for the staff. Would recommend this to anyone seeking a a little luxury to come back to at the end of a day's sightseeing in this wonderful city. We made use of the gym facilities (adequate but a little cozy!) and had some great drinks and snacks in the bar at all times of the day! A nice touch was the complimentary minibar and wifi

Room Tip: Double Deluxe Rooms for couples and teenagers
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PerthSkibunny
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Beautiful city, nice people, and to top it up, this beautiful property... We had a wonderful one week stay in Alma hotel.
Design is impeccable, appropriate for the trendy area of the city, well thought of, not at all at an expense of comfort. "Grand deluxe" room we stayed in was on a higher floor and offered nice views on the courtyard and the roof of La Pedrera. Quiet, minimalistic, yet with all the necessary amenities, great sleep quality, free mini bar, good Wi-Fi. Calm atmosphere throughout the hotel, nice change after a whole day in a bustling city.
Location- beautiful neighborhood with good shops, trendy cafes and restaurants, 15 minutes walk to La Rambla, few minutes walk from 2 metro stops, good connections to everything.
Breakfast is on a expensive side, but well worth it, good choice and quality. If you don't want the whole buffet breakfast, there is a a la carte option as well. Lunch and dinner options are somewhat limited in choice, but great in quality and portion sizes.
Personnel of hotel was genuinely nice, unpretentious but very professional from the first email correspondence until the last minute of our stay. We had some specific requests, and they responded in a way that is expected from a real 5 star hotel. Just be warned, no fake smiles, no empty talk:-))) From people working in the restaurant to the concierge desk service was impeccable.
And yes, if we could, we would return tomorrow:-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple