“Not a five star hotel”
Review of Alma Barcelona

Alma Barcelona
Ranked #19 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I researched hotels in Barcelona for months and the Alma always came up #4 on tripadvisor under luxury hotels. I guess some people have a flawless experience at the Alma but we did not. It was our 40th anniversary and I was looking for something special. First the positives: good location, beds were comfortable and room was facing the courtyard and was quiet. I wish it ended there but my main problem with this hotel is that it is not a five star hotel. We checked in after a long flight from the United States around 7 p.m. Check-in was smooth and we opted for the finger pad entry. It never worked for my husband but worked for me so it was good that we were always together. We wanted to have some dinner and went down to the restaurant about 8 p.m. We were not greeted by anyone so we finally went to find someone. It was only after we decided to leave after 20 minutes that the front desk staff went and found the restaurant manager to get some help. I ordered fish and that is all I got--a piece of fish with no rice, no vegetable, no bread. I would not eat in the restaurant as the menu for the dinner is also the dinner for the lunch. No variety and expensive.
As far as the room, there was a major light out in the room and it took two days to get it replaced. The first day we were there we came back to the hotel at 4 p.m. and our room had not been cleaned so we had to sit in the hall and wait for our room. The maid came into our room one afternoon and did not knock and found us in bed taking a nap.
In conclusion, we paid 300 Euro for our room and stayed 5 nights. We have stayed in many five star hotels all over the world and this hotel does not merit a five star rating. I would say 3 stars and needs improvement still.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pickle444
almahotels, Director General at Alma Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Mr. Kakiebell,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to share your thoughts and experience on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

Guest feedback helps us improve our standards and services in all aspects and we will definitely look into these areas to ensure guest satisfaction. Please accept our apologies.

Thanks for mentioning our digital fingerprint door opening system which has been exceptionally installed in our Hotel . It works fantastically well although it´s possible it failed on that time .

I assure you that I will do everything possible to quickly and efficiently solve the issues you have raised.

Best regards,

Amaya Guisasola
General Manager AlmaBarcelona

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Fantastic hotel with great staff. We were really happy with our choice. Its located about 10 mins from La Ramblas which is about as close as you would want to get as its very busy down there.
My only very small gripe would be the cost of breakfast, while it was very nice at 25 Euros per person i feel this was too expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for both bath & shower as some rooms only have one or the other
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul9872
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel had a fantastic, contemporary flare with a refined, quality approach. The staff were wonderful and even showed some impressive initiative - my boyfriend had been asking them for restaurant recommendations for later that week, to celebrate my birthday and on the evening of my birthday, they sent a complimentary bottle of champagne up to the room for my birthday! (We did stay for over a week though) The rooftop terrace was really chic and sophisticated - a quiet place to enjoy the night time view over carefully crafted cocktails. The rooms were elegant and minimal with glass balconies, which was a first for us. My only complaint was that the hotel was freezing from the air conditioning. I went to Barcelona for some warm weather and had to practically had to dress for winter to pass through the hallways, elevator and lobby. It seem that the most expensive hotels are the coldest - uncomfortably so. I understand the need to escape the heat, but many hotels tend to go way overboard with freezing temperatures indoors. Otherwise, a very nice place to stay and just around the corner from a very busy main street.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VancouverArtist
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Some of my friends had said before we came to Barcelona that this was a bit out of the way but I think we chose perfectly. Ten minutes walk from La Ramblas, which was extremely busy yet still perfect for shopping and people watching. Two blocks away were the Rail links which was ideal as we were heading to the Grand Prix on race day.

As for the rooms, we were not disappointed. We were given a garden view room which was fabulous, nice and quiet and access granted via a finger scanner. The shower was fantastic as well as the his and hers sinks.

Although we stayed on a room only basis , we found that we could easily find breakfast from a number of cafés nearby, so save yourself quite a few euros.

We will definitely return!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We were planning our first visit to Barcelona without the benefit of recommendations. Like most everyone, we were skeptical of the self-generated grand descriptions most hotels post on travel sites. Because of its central location and a bit of intuition, we chose the Alma Hotel and it has proved to be an excellent lucky choice. The Reception Staff is superbly attentive from the moment they spot you out front and hold the door or assist with luggage. The lobby, restaurant and garden are each both appealing and comfortable as well as tastefully furnished and maintained. Our room, a Junior Suite, was absolutely lovely, had a large bathroom with double sinks, a shower and separate tub and had glass doors off the bedroom and the sitting area that opened onto narrow balconies. The Reception Staff doubles as the Concierge and they are extensively knowledgeable about sightseeing options and all of the best places to dine in Barcelona. The Alma Hotel Barcelona, and Staff helped make a first visit memorable.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I ended up booking Alma Barcelona for the last night of our stay since the hotel we were staying at had no more availablility. After just one night in the hotel, we wished that we had booked our entire stay there! Amazing service, great rooms, comfortable beds, a wonderful spa, good location, and the list goes on. This a a wonderful hotel and I highly reccomend staying here!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel in Barcelona - you will not be disappointed! The location is great. We stayed one night at the hotel from Saturday to Sunday. Unfortunately we did not have time to try the indoor swimming pool.

• Stayed: May 2014