“Very good accommodation”

After Hostel
Ranked #579 of 736 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 11 May 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Pros: location, staff, balcony, social room, extisting kitchen, WiFi is working.
Cons: noise from the street, old facilities, extra charges for using kitchen, keeping luggage after check out, washing, key deposit (not mentioned on the website), whatever room you have, it always has 3 twin double deck beds.
When we arrived to the place we were a bit dissappointed because of number of beds in our "twin" room, but person in the reception insisted it was part of the deal, so we let it go. Bath is worn off, rusty racks, shower may have hot water or not, switches off automaticly, in some cases very quickly, so you have to press the button all the time, no privacy in shared shower you have transparent doors, mould is common. Place generaly a bit wrecked and need good working on. Some noise from the street during weekend nights.
On the other hand Argentinian guy who worked in the reception was very friendly and chatty, which was a great thing. We were allowed to use shower well after check out, without charge which was surprising in this place full of little fees for this or that.
Overall it wasn't a bad place. Not too far from the metro, close to the city anyway. A bit used and abused, but balcony... You cannot beat this :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Artur M
Reviewed 21 July 2012

we booked After sitting in Barcelona Sants station, so were honestly just happy to find a room! But when we arrived at the tree-lined street of the main hostel, we were already so excited about the location - a flat, maybe fifteen minute stroll (it's Spain, who's counting!) from Plaça de Catalunya.

At check-in we requested a private room instead of our booked dorm, & happily they could accommodate. We were helped with our luggage to a property the next block over, which turned out to be a big old street-level apartment with two shared bathrooms (one with two showers...), a little kitchen, tiny open-air courtyard & our spacious double room with adjoining terrace. High ceilings really made the room, which was simply furnished but with a great standing fan.

It's all a little rough around the edges - fresh wallpaper in the bathroom but leaky showers meaning constant pools of water, for example - but we had such a peaceful, homely stay! Direct from a festival at Benicàssim, we slept from about 4pm til 5am the next morning & were only disturbed by some friendly Brazilian guys wanting to share a beer (it's a hostel, so this sort of stuff is gold right).

Language barrier aside the two staff we interacted with were very helpful, the wifi was free & always on, & there was plenty of fridge space for fresh market catering. Sad to see other reviewers have not had our great experience, but we'd definitely recommend the After & would certainly stay again ourselves.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the very back rooms on the After's off-site, street-level apartment, which c...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I was about to stay 2 nights on the After Hostel, and I made a reservation for the whole weekend. But when I got there on friday night, after more than 40 minutes waiting, they simply told me that the hostel was completely full. They simply ignored the reservation I had paid and took me to a strange apartment (not a hostel at all) in the very-far (and unsafe) neighborhood of Mercat Nou metro station.

As I had already paid the reservation, and it's impossible to find a hostel in Barcelona friday midnight, I had to stay on this strange place. And now I'm reading another reviews from customers of HostelWorld.Com, and I discovered that this is not the first time they applied this blow.

So if I can recommend anything to my fellow travelers, I would say: RUN AWAY from this After Hostel and avoid such terrible experience. They are the most unethical and unprofessional Hostel I've ever knew.

Room Tip: The best way to choose a good room in After Hostel, is NOT staying at After Hostel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Angelo A
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I decided to spend a few days in Barcelona in April 2011. The budget was not so big, and I chose the After Hostel. As usual the hostels have better locations then cheap hotels. After hostel is situated near to the centre of Barcelona. The facilities were not so good. The bath cabins look a bit decrepit. The door is locked which is nice, but I have no key to open, the receptionist gave me keys only at last day of my staying. I don't know why he didn't do this early. So, I can't recommend to stay there except the case you need some refuge.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Andy S
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We just needed a place to stop over enroute to Marbella, hence chose this hostel as reccomended by a friend.
The location was lovely, easy to find and walking distance from the the square that the buses from the Airport arrive at (note: locals say its too far to walk, but its a 15 min pleasant walk)
We got a beautiful double bedroom with a rustic balcony overlooking a street that was laid back, trees, cafe's beneath.
The bathroom was extremely small and perhaps my only pain point on this stay.
The staff do not speak English at all, but tried to be very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwi_traveller_Nick
Reviewed 21 July 2011

There are definitely some amazing and some bad points to this place. Hear me out.

I travelled with two other girls to Barca, and we were confused to find out that after arriving at the After Hostel in Enric Granados we were actually being moved to another hostel in a different location. It seemed like the staff assessed us when we got there and decided that, as we were young students, they would take us to the other building they owned, which was completely different to anything we had seen advertised and consisted of a very small, dark apartment with 5 bedrooms and a small shower room and kitchen. When we got there we were also told that, although we thought we had payed in full for the room when we booked it, no money had actually changed hands and we were endebtted to the owners for the full price of the stay - problematic as we didn't have that much cash with us. It was totally unexpected and was only resolved by luckily getting a bank transfer from family in the UK.
I know all this sounds very shady, and we were totally suspicious when we arrived. But after meeting the staff (which was difficult as only one of them spoke any english) they had no problems with us delaying the payment and we only finished paying the day before we were due to leave. There was no pressure, and everyone seemed very laid back and they were all really good, genuine people.
Moving hostels came as a bit of a surprise, but they paid for the taxi to take us to the alternative accomodation and we soon realised that although the facilities aren't as good as the original hostel, it is located in a much better place - just one street away from the buzzing La Ramblas, which is where all the restaurants, shops, bars and people are. It is also a 5 minute bus ride away from the beach (where all the main nightclubs are located as well as an amazing place to chill during the day).
So although we were a bit put out by all the confusion to begin with, it turned out that for us it was a much better deal. We were originally told that we would be moved to the main site on Enric Granados after 2 nights, but by that time we had already fallen in love with the location and asked to stay in the same place for the rest of the trip.
We landed on our feet and ended up absolutely loving the place - but I can't imagine it would be the same for everyone who was moved to the other hostel. The site on the Nue de la Ramblas was filled with students and travelling friends from all over the world - we met Italians, French, German and a large group of rowdy but hilarious Aussies who turned out to be a great bunch of girls. It's amazing the people you meet when you're shoved in a tiny hostel with a load of strangers, totally unlike any other situation!
A guy called Frederico was there the whole time staying in the apartment with us to oversee everything and help out. On the first afternoon we woke up to him cooking steak for us - which definitely won us over.
He comes accross as an eccentric, strange guy, suddenly disappearing at the drop of a hat to do "business", and it soon became apparent that he is the kind of guy that can get you anything you need with just a phonecall - he knows everyone. At first this was a bit weird, but you soon learn to love him and can definitely use his contacts to your advantage.
Just down the road from the site is a little English bar called the Queen Vic, full of Irish, English, Scottish and American travellers, most of whom have a sob story about how they ended up in Barca - scorned lovers, lost souls etc. But get chatting to them and they are great fun. We ended up going in for a few shots and getting home at 7am after going out with a few of the guys from there to a salsa place in Plaza Real, just off the Ramblas. Amazing night!
To fully appreciate the madness of the place you have to be open minded and not worry too much about changes to the plan - we ended up having a much better time than we would have done if we stayed in the site in Enric Granados. Not that the After Hostel was bad, far from it, but I think the difference in location and types of people we met were what made it an amazing holiday and not just an ok one in a hostel full of families.
Barcelona is truely the most crazy city I have ever had the pleasure to spend time in, it's unlike anywhere else and I will definitey be going back.
As for returning to the After Hostel - we'll have to see. We paid 175 Euro each (3 of us) to stay for a week in a dingy apartment with no lock on the bathroom door and one butter knife between 17 of us at one point. But the experience was unforgettable, and if you're willing to overlook the downsides and embrace the craziness i can guarentee you will have a life changing time.

Room Tip: All had the same layout with a small balcony in each - only difference is amount of beds.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends