“Welcoming, friendly, and delicious.”

Espai Boisa - Barcelona Cooking School
More attraction details
Owner description: Espai Boisà is the first “Cooking School – Restaurant” in Barcelona that offers you a fully hands-on experience, preparing and tasting exquisite dishes from Catalan Cuisines and various other cuisines around the World, while sharing our cultural habits around food. We promote Organic, Seasonal ingredients, sourced by Local producers in Rural Barcelona. This is our philosophy and we would like to share it with you. Our Cooking Classes are designed to ensure you can reproduce all culinary techniques at home. Under the coaching of our professional chef, participants will be divided in groups of maximum 4, where you will be fully involved in preparing all recipes on the menu including your own paella. We are equally specialized in organizing and hosting private celebrations, company events, and team building activities, all based around cooking activities and food. Whether you´re visiting or living in Barcelona, we would love to welcome you to an authentic, fun and dynamic experience, in an off the beaten track gastronomic space.
Mt View
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Welcoming, friendly, and delicious.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Far and away, the best part of the experience was our instructor/chef, Javier. He was cheerful and engaging, tailoring the lesson to our skill level. All of us were already reasonably competent in the kitchen, so he took the time to show us some more advanced techniques, from knife skills to preparation methods, which was delightful. He was also more than willing to chat, instead of focusing solely on the lesson, which we enjoyed. Javier's masterful knowledge and ability to oversee the tasks of four people and carry on a conversation about Catalan culinary and social habits was truly impressive.

The operation was impressive as well. Our hosts were friendly and welcome without being overly intrusive. The building was nicely decorated, and the kitchen setup inspired immediate envy. Quality cooking and prep surfaces with ample space to work without colliding with neighbors, and all the right tools to get the job done. When we changed course a little in the middle of a dish, the other things we needed were close at hand, not buried in some other room.

The food we made was quite good, too. Somewhat traditional Spanish dishes, they were inspired enough that I did not feel that I could have come up with the same thing, but simple enough that I know I could make it myself (and have!). They were kind enough to accommodate our food preferences and came up with truly delicious meals. It was honestly some of the best eating I did while in Spain.

My family and I really had a great time here. Good eating and good conversation. A wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

1 Thank ellen R

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

It was advertised as no more than groups of 4 but our class was actually 11 people! The teacher comes of as quite aggressive, but only softened up near the end. The tools were extremely dull and they just pretended it wasn't when mentioned. The saffron for the paella was replaced with a cheaper ingredient "there was no more left in the store"... Right... We really only spent just a bit over an hour cooking and rest of the time was spent eating. The food was okay, way too much salt in a few things.

Of course these are only the complaints. The rest of the staff were very nice. The cleaned up after us during the entire thing and toped off our glasses with water, wine or beer! Happy I took it but really wish it was better.

2 Thank Becahuang
Espai B, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Espai Boisa - Barcelona Cooking School, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion in Tripadvisor.

In regard to the groups, we always inform guests that the class is for maximum of fifteen people and is divided into small groups of maximum of four people, in order to increase the participation and work more efficiently. The idea is that each group will cook all recipes including their own paella.

As explained in class in regard to the saffron, some people use coloring to give color to the paella, but we cook an authentic Catalan paella. In this particular paella, saffron is not used. However, we can use other ingredients to give the dish a touch of color. We also wish to make it clear that we are proud to always work with ecological products of the highest quality.

We will work to improve the cooking times, and we apologize.

We are very happy that you have otherwise enjoyed your experience.

Again, thank you very much. We hope to see you again.

Espai Boisà Team
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Interesting, Informative but Could Be Better”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Group of 9 on a Wednesday day class. Enjoyed learning a few Spanish dishes however this class is not for the gourmet cook, not that I fall into that category. The recipes are provided in hard copy at the end of the day and also by email. I found it useful to read the recipes after undertaking some of the doing and a some watching during cooking. The school is billed as 4 people cooking together so I took that to mean an instructor per group. Not the case which means one instructor, who was very good, spread herself across 9 people. It meant there was not enough hands for me. Some feedback to the School - it would have been more cohesive and fun all round had there been an attempt to introduce everyone. Even when we got to the stage of eating lunch the table didn't really gel and it was just getting going when it was over.

Regardless of the crticisms, I am glad to have done it. I did learn and that was my goal. I enjoyed the instructor who was energetic, enthusiastic and supportive.

1 Thank Tricia N
Thank you for your comments. They help us to improve every day.

In regard to the recipes, we are working with a new format to make the cooking easier for everyone.

The groups are divided into four in order to work more easily and efficiently. If you felt unattended at any moment, we are very sorry and apologize.

We are very happy that the overall experience was positive for you.

Espai Boisà Team
Alna, Maine
“It's all about the food”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was a great experience. I'd cooked most of the dishes before at home, but Alejandra, the chef, taught me several techniques to make them even better. She is very knowledgeable about cooking and food, and fielded all my questions with ease. I also enjoyed meeting, cooking and eating with the others in my class. I had worried it was going to be kind of touristy, or that the dishes would be too simple. But the class emphasized local ingredients and cooking techniques. The staff--especially Alejandra--was great: friendly and organized. I highly recommend Espai Boisa.

Visited March 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place for gathering to feel local cuisine!”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were a group of 6 and had a private cooking class with menu tailor made to our needs. It was a busy night with all of us chopping and cooking and listening at the same time. The teacher was very good in directing us and introduce us to local food and ingredients , it was a fun and enjoyable 3 hours dinner with cooking, eating and laughing, definitely recommend it!

Visited November 2013