“Lovely hotel.”

Expo Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #334 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This place suit all our needs, we were near transport, food, and shopping. The bed was comfortable, the linens were clean. The food in the restaurant was nice. When we checked in there was a slight mishap and we were given a bed with 2 twin beds, but quick call to reception resolved the situation and we were soon moved to a lovely room with a queen bed.

Room Tip: The rooms have lovely balconies.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cebrame
Write a ReviewReviews (2,882)

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four nights from 14-19 May 2014 with my friend.

I read the previous reviews on trip advisor but took no notice of the bad reviews. From the airport we took a train to Sants station which cost 4.20 euros, it took approximately 20 minutes which was convenient.

When we arrived, we requested a room facing Mont Juic and we were provided with a room on the 9th floor. We walked into the room and it was a narrow corridor with two single beds and extremely cramped and shabby looking. It felt like we were in a prison and we immediately requested a change of room. We were then provided with a room which was more spacious but the balcony door did not open properly and we were informed that someone from maintenance would come and fix it which they never. Anyway we chose to stay in this room but it was very basic.

The beds were extremely uncomfortable and the pillows were hard. The mini fridge was small and we could not put bottles of wine in there. The balcony was really small and had no chairs which was shocking. The bathroom was okay, the shower was awful as the hot water was scorching hot. The hairdryer was the worst hairdryer I have ever used in a hotel and I was unable to dry my hair properly.

The safe in the room had a "key" which was a nuisance as we had to carry it around with us. On several occasions our room key did not work and would not let us into the room, this was a nuisance as we had to go back and fourth. The room has paper thin walls, you can hear everything!! I absolutely hated the fact I could hear noise from above our room. I could hear footsteps, chairs moving and people talking, I presume this was coming from the hotel terrace and it would disturb my sleep and I had no peace and quiet.

The hotel terrace itself is nice and the cocktail I had was delicious, the terrace overlooks the Sants area which was nice. I did not use the hotels swimming pool but it wasn't very large.

The hotel menu in the evening is awful, there is limited options and the food was not very nice. I chose salmon with vegetables and the portions were tiny.

Upon arrival, we asked whether there would be any additional charges at checkout and we were told there were none, we were shocked that when we left we had to pay tax.

We told a member of staff that we were extremely unhappy with our stay and we would not come back, she apologised but said she could not do anything to compensate.

I do not recommend this hotel at all, it is definitely not a four star hotel and the website is very misleading. The only good thing I would say about the hotel is the location as there are two metro stations walking distance and also close to the commercial centre by the magic fountain.

This was my second visit to Barcelona I would choose another hotel to stay at next time I visit.

Room Tip: do not chose 9th floor it is very noisy!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MRSKK86
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We have just returned from our honeymoon at the Expo Hotel. We arrived early morning and it only took 2 hours and there was a room ready for us. The bed had been scattered with rose petals and was a nice touch to start our week. The hotel is very clean and the staff are very polite and helpful. Breakfast is served until 10.30 every day. we went to breakfast at about 10.15 most days and there was still plenty of choice. if there was anything missing as soon as you asked for it they obliged. We had one late night snack in the hotel and it was very nice. The pool is small but plenty of sun loungers. The pizza/pasta restaurant over the road from the hotel is very reasonable and they do takeaway which we did one night and brought it back to the hotel to eat!
I would recommend buying a T10 rail/metro/bus card as you get 10 trips for 10euro 30cent it can be used on the train from the airport too!
The hotel is in walking distance of the fountains and located perfectly.
We would defiantly return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth J
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the last three days and it was great! Although it's either a 40 minute walk, or a taxi/metro journey to Las Ramblas, it's still a good location for a hotel right next to the metro station. We didn't eat food at the hotel, but the prices did look quite steep. The bedroom and bathroom was clean, and the bed was made every day. The rooftop pool is great, but it does get quite windy up there regularly and the terrace looks nice.

In terms of taxis and the metro, the taxi to Las Ramblas was roughly €7.10 one way, and the metro to and from the airport is around €4.10 for one way, I definitely advise getting the train to and from the airport/Expo Hotel as it's a cheap and easy trip, only travelling for three stops.

Overall, the trip was great and the hotel was good with very friendly and helpful staff. Also, if after you've checked out, you can leave your suitcases there until you need to leave for the airport.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not right near the road as it is quite busy and noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bekkiboom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a trip to the F1 Spanish Grand Prix. The hotel certainly didn't live up to my expectations from what was depicted in the pictures on hotel website.
On arrival I was met with a stench in the lobby that seemed to linger throughout my stay.
On entering the bedroom I encountered a very narrow entrance which led to two single beds. The decor and furnishings in the room were terribly outdated and old looking. The bed was very uncomfortable and I found the room very noisy with plant/machinery noise disturbing me constantly.
The room had no keypad safe which meant i had to carry the key everywhere with me.
The weather was very good during my stay and I visited the rooftop pool once only to be asked to leave at 5pm!!!!! The pool closes at 5pm!
On check out hotel staff tried to charge myself and a friend for items that we had not used.
The only good thing about the hotel was the proximity to the railway/metro station.
In comparison to other hotels I have stayed in, i would not rate this hotel as 4* and it was not worth the money I paid.
I will not be staying in this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank J0hnb0y9
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very good, a comfortable and modern place, where to stay in Barcelona.
Trained staff to turn and excellent services to be accessed.
A hotel to consider if you want to feel good at a reasonable price.
Tested and recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trepuntozero
Reviewed 14 May 2014

What a great experience! The staff is super friendly. The rooms are well kept and clean. The location couldn't be better! We arrived from Madrid at the Sants Estacio and we walked to the hotel. We were so pleased! Te breakfast buffet is one of the best I have ever experienced. The variety and the quality was beyond expected. Definitely worth it.

• Stayed: April 2014