“Perfect in Every Way”

Ranked #162 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Hollywood, Maryland
“Perfect in Every Way”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed Feb/Mar for a week. Wonderful staff. Navigator was extremely helpful. Rooms very nice and clean. Welcoming staff. Clean and crisp decor. Best central location to everything. Will stay there again when we go back.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank DianeB54
Cristina_El-Mashni, Executive Assistant, PR & Communications at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for this fantastic feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us so much, from the cleanness of your room and its contemporary decoration to our friendly ambassadors.

Thank you also for sharing your enthusiasm over our convenient central location, just steps away from main city attractions such as the famous Gaudi’s emblematic building “La Pedrera” or the Gothic Quartier.

I am proud to hear our Navigators - local experts- part of the Renaissance Navigator programe were so helpful in providing you truly recommendations.

Your comments are the best reward and all we are glad we succeeded in making your stay memorable.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we do hope to welcome you in the near future.

Executive Assistant, PR & Communications

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2014

A contemporary and stylish hotel with a great central location. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and special. The rooms are modern and comfortable and the lounge has a nice sampling of wine. The only detractor is the breakfast area. It does offer a nice selection of choices but the guests descend upon it like locusts, leaving a disorganized mess. Unfortunately, the staff is unable to keep pace with replenishment of food or plates. Additionally, while it is a buffet style breakfast, you are dependent on flagging down one of the overworked staff to fill/refill your coffee cup.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment your recent stay at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests regarding the experience in our hotel as we consider these reviews one of the most valuable tools to improve and meet guest’s expectations.

I am delighted to hear you appreciate our convenience location, in the heart of the city which makes our hotel and ideal base for exploring our vibrant city full of hidden gems within walking distance.

I am glad we could make you feel welcome and we truly appreciate your comments regarding the comfort of our rooms that offer all facilities required by the modern travelers, from luxurious bedding to the high speed Wi-Fi connection.

Great to hear you were able to enjoy our wines in the CUIT Bar & Lounge and I do hope you had the opportunity to indulge your senses with our delicious Spanish “Platillos”.

Concerning your comment on our breakfast service, we are very sorry we did not meet your expectative and you felt it was a disorganized area. The buffet breakfast is served in our CRU Restaurant from 6:30 to 11:30am on the weekdays and from 7am to 12pm on weekends, and it is true, there is a lot of traffic during high season. We are currently trying to improve our breakfast service by considering open other venue such as CUIT Bar & Lounge to serve a quick or simple continental breakfast for those guest, who just want to quickly crab a coffee and a roll. We really appreciate your feedback on this matter because it does make our decision making easier. Your comments will certainly help us to improve the current situation and will ensure a much better breakfast experience. Nevertheless, we are delighted that you were very pleased with our large and nice food selection, from the daily baked pastries to the hot dishes.

You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Executive Assistant, PR & Communications
Wembley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

As a returning client, who is also a Platinum member, I was hoping for a better experience.

The lady who I checked in with was quite pleasant, and when I asked if I had been upgraded, she said yes. When I arrived at my tiny room, with a minuscule queen-sized bed, I guess my expectations had been dashed. A doorman insisted that he take me up to my room but when he saw my disappointment, he rang down to reception. Unlike a previous poster, I was certainly NOT automatically upgraded to a corner- king-sized room.

After a trip back to reception explaining that as Platinum, the room was not up to my expectations, I was offered the “last” king-sized room on the first floor (my tiny room that I rejected was on the 9th floor). I thought this was a little strange, as it was still early in the day, but I was told it would not be ready for a couple of hours. I said fine, and left my luggage with the front desk (by the way, the hotel was never very busy over the weekend of my stay).

I returned after a couple of hours and I was allowed to check into what they called the “last” king-sized room. It was quite different from my last stay, as the room was much smaller and the bathroom no longer contained a rain-shower attachment (although the water strength was still excellent). I also never received the extra towels or pillows that are in my Marriott profile. I also found the room VERY warm and asked that a maintenance man pop up. He said that the temperature was okay but I could never get the room cool without opening the window each night.

One of the reasons I like this property is the abundance of British Freeview channels, but the BBC stations never came through.

The breakfast was still abundant, but the service was glacial. Trying to get a cup of coffee was an epic challenge each morning. The food was also not refreshed very often and there was no Cava – so I would suggest you get there earlier rather than later and don’t expect more than one cup of coffee with your breakfast.

The Wifi worked very well for the first two days but then stopped working on the third day.

This is still a good location and there is now a small mini-mart across the street for extra treats to put in your fridge.

Shampoo, conditioner etc have now been downgraded to a much cheaper brand. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff were excellent.

While this was not the same experience as my last visit, the bed was still incredibly comfortable and I had great sleep for the three nights I was there. I also like the patio / terrace area, which is fabulous for sunning.

I am saddened that I had some problems this time, but it continues to be a very popular hotel, especially with American clientele. Perhaps some of my complaints are “first world problems”, but if they really want to call themselves “5-star”, then they need to up their game …

Room Tip: The high floors have better views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Wembleygal
Cristina_El-Mashni, Executive Assistant to GM, PR & Communications at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, your feedback is extremely valuable. The experience you describe does not meet our standards and I am sorry for your frustration.

On this occasion, we would like to apologize for not being able to upgrade you to one of our corner king sized rooms which resulted in you being disappointed during your check-in. Many of our guests arrive early in the morning and we always try to have rooms ready and upgrades available. We are sorry to hear that we could not reach your Platinum guest expectations, nevertheless, I am glad to hear you had a restful sleep in one of our refurbished rooms.

Our style department works to provide clean and comfortable rooms, I will ensure to let them know your nice feedback. Certainly the room amenities have been changed recently to Tokyomilk by Margot Elena branded luxury products.

We sincerely regret your breakfast experience was less than impressive despite the array of food options and its quality. I shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager to assure that necessary actions are taken in order to improve our hospitality.

With reference to your comments about the British Freeview channels, please be informed some of them, like the BBC, cannot be tuned in some European countries since a few months ago. We are working closely with our engineering department to provide guests an alternative to ensure their satisfaction.

We completely understand how important it is for our guests to stay connected, I am disappointed to hear that your connection was unstable during your last day of stay. The issue has been reported to the engineering department to avoid any possible future service interruptions.

Thank you for your advice regarding the stunning views over Barcelona from our 8th floor terrace and for recommending our city view rooms located on the 9th and 10 floors facing iconic buildings like La Sagrada Familia, or Torre Agbar.

Once again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, especially in terms of service, which is usually our greatest strength. We continuously strive to provide excellent service accommodations to each of our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to demonstrate the qualities of the hotel that you expected. I invite you to contact me personally when you wish to make the arrangements.

Yours Sincerely,
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed one night upon arrival in Barcelona, central city location easy to get to, although actual street quiet after dark, very nice and helpful staff. Room is small but clean. Bed was quite comfortable. This would not be 5 stars here but certainly acceptable to most travelers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jemali3
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed over two different weekends at this Renaissance hotel in Barcelona and I couldn't be more happier about it.

The location is excellent, one block from Passeig de Gracia where all the best shops and restaurants are. The street is quiet and easy to get to. The train station to the airport is only one block from the hotel and the Metro just two blocks.

As a platinum rewards member I received an upgrade to a bigger corner room. It was very spacious with a big king size bed which was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was also pretty big and very functional with lots of high end goodies to use. I loved the wooden floors as they are much cleaner than the regular carpet you find in other hotels. It had a big closet and a mini fridge which I don't know why it wasn't full as other Marriott AC hotels I've been around Spain. The A/C worked great and so did the WiFi internet connection.

The rate included breakfast which was a great buffet style with lots of selections to choose from. Hot and cold options and good coffee machines.

The staff was great and very attentive each time to facilitate my needs. I forgot a pair of reading glasses and they help me ship them back so I could recover them. I can't thank more the stuff for assisting me in preparing and tracking my package.

As I said before, I couldn't be more happier to have chosen this Marriott hotel in Barcelona. Great location, great rooms and excellent guest service. I will definitely recommend it and come back on my next trip to Barcelona!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicolas M
Cristina_El-Mashni, Executive Assistant to GM – PR & Communications at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for these fantastic comments. I truly appreciate the detailed review.

I am so pleased we were able to welcome you back again and you found our hotel to be such an ideal location and well connected by metropolitan transportation. It is true we are located in the heart of the city close to all main attractions.

I am certainly glad you had a very enjoyable time, from the cleanliness of your room equipped with wooden floors to the breakfast experience.

I am pleased you benefited from the upgrade to an Executive room as a Platinum guest. We invite all our guests to indulge their senses in our Grab&Go shop placed next to the reception.

Thank you for the lovely comments about our ambassadors, I will share your feedback to all the team. We continuously strive to provide excellent services and accommodations to all of our guests and I am proud that we as a team made your stay a success.

We sincerely hope to welcome you in the future.

Petaluma, California
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This place is a gem. I frequent Marriotts, but I used Priceline to get this for 120 USD per night way below the website price. I was greeted warmly (for a change) and given a room with a great view of La Sagrada Familia on the 10th floor. The included breakfast was excellent-the usual upscale buffet. The staff was extremely helpful. Luis, the concierge, assisted me in deciding on a trip to Tarragona. He showed me where to stay and even provided a map. The internet worked flawlessly, the room was quiet, and Nellie's recommendation of La Taglietella, a few blocks away, resulted in some truly excellent Italian food. This place is a block from Passeje de Gracia metro and the RENFE to Madrid and points down the coast. It's 5 blocks to Diagonal and a few more to La Sagrada. Very excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing La Sagrada Familia on a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank jpointer
Dear Sir,

Thank you for this fantastic feedback.

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found all the team to be so helpful. We pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests with the newest local discoveries. Our associates are always pleased to be mentioned and further to your comments I will share with them your thoughts.

I am more than happy to read you discovered one of our city views rooms located on the 9th and 10th floors and offer stunning views over Montjuic , Sagrada Familia or Agbar Torre.

Thank you once again for your advice regarding our great location in the city center within walking distance to the main touristic places and some hidden gems of our exciting city. We certainly are well connected by metropolitan transportation to all city areas and to the Barcelona International Airport.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and do we hope to welcome you again.

Menasha, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great location, all the amenities, friendly staff. Currency exchange with good rate, no charges (unlike the bank). Also near public transportation stops. Walkable to many sites an the routes for "on off" tourist buses

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ViJWo
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review and your wonderful comments.

Your comment is the best reward our team can aim for. They put every day their passion to make our guest stay an amazing experience.

Your advice regarding the currency exchange is very important for all people planning to visit Barcelona. Foreign exchange currency can usually be done only in the Bank, that are open from 8 am to 2 pm. It is important for our guest to know that we can help them to make currency exchange directly at the hotel, without taking advantage of the situation.

Once again, we have a great chance to have such a location, It is surely the best in Barcelona, as you underline it, everything is walking distance, and this should you be in Barcelona to for leisure or for business.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon, and to encourage you to discover event more hidden gems located around our Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Executive Assistant – PR & Communications
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
Cotton House Hotel, Autograph Collection
#119 of 513 in Barcelona
Alma Barcelona
Alma Barcelona
#17 of 513 in Barcelona

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Hotel? Share your experiences!