“Modern central good service”

Renaissance Barcelona Hotel
Ranked #175 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Modern central good service”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Cant go wrong with a marriott if you want good standards - service is always excellent - great location - nice roof terrace - good breakfast very comfortable beds and rooms air con wifi etc nice bar but lacks atmosphere never crowded

Room Tip: High up gives best views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angela w
Cristina_El-Mashni, Executive Assistant, PR & Communication at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel.

It certainly reads that you had a very enjoyable time, from the breakfast experience to the comfort of our rooms and its luxurious bedding.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this review and we do hope to welcome you in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Executive Assistant, PR & Communication

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The staff is the highlight of this perfectly nice hotel that is an excellent mid-range hotel nicely situated.

The lobby is 1960's modernist cool (if not a bit cold) that is warmed up by the staff of Navigators who ensure a very pleasant stay. The reception, concierge and lobby bar staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful. I stayed on the 7th floor for 4 nights in a two-double bed room that had everything I could want in a very clean room. My mornings and afternoons were spent at a conference, but I ate in the immediate vicinity of the hotel every evening. All local restaurants were recommended by staff, and included Rene, 336 and Loidi. I would have tried the hotel's CRU Steakhouse, but for the fact that I am a Chicagoan and going to Barcelona to eat at a steakhouse seems kinda pathetic. Besides, the travel rule of thumb is to get out of the hotel early and often. Barcelona has so much to offer the wanderer.

I would stay at the Renaissance Barcelona again in an instant. It is equidistant between the Sagrada Familia and the Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia. The latter is on the edge of the medieval passages that include so much worth visiting, not least of which the incredible Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar and the Born Cultural Center that protects and displays the city's ancient origins. The walks afford many many opportunities to stop for a Moritz and tapas, or a glass of Tempranillo and Iberico jamon.

Full circle praise, though, goes to the staff of the hotel. Over-the-top wonderful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cristina_El-Mashni, Executive Assistant, PR & Communications at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this fantastic and detailed review. Your comments are the best reward for our ambassadors who pride ourselves on creating truly indigenous experiences to our guests.

We are happy that you were able to take the advantage of our central location, as you mention, the walking distance to some of the city's treasures such as” La Sagrada Familia” or “La Basilica de Santa María de Mar”, makes our hotel the perfect base to explore the city.

Thank you again for this wonderful review and we do hope to welcoming you in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The Renaissance has a good atmosphere - great staff giving a general feeling your custom is important (compared to hotels where you are just a number). The lounge/bar area is comfortable and relaxing, with pockets of seated areas. The bar staff are great and mix a mean Margarita! The roof top terrace is lovely although it was a bit too chilly to use it in March, I can see it being a great place to relax in warmer weather. The bedrooms are of a high standard and probably the most comfortable beds I've slept in in BCN. Breakfast is fine - your normal buffet fare. We were running training and had lunch in the CRU restaurant. This was a sit down 3 course meal which we weren't expecting. The food was delicious, but next time we will ask for a buffet as it took an hour and we were on a tight schedule. The meeting room we used (Maragda) was well equipped and had everything we needed. Staff were great with requests and everything was dealt with swiftly. There was an abundance of snacks at the coffee breaks - really too much. Mini pizzas, fruit, sandwiches, cakes. Lovely food but much more than necessary. I'd recommend this hotel for business and pleasure. The location is superb - within easy walking distance of the major attractions. Approx 30 mins walk to the beach, 10 mins to Las Ramblas and The Segrada Familia. The only reason I have rated the hotel a 4 instead of a 5 is the wifi. Whilst this was free (brilliant) the connectivity was very hit and miss and we all had problems at some point of another being able to access the wifi. If this were more stable the hotel would receive top marks. I will be going back in a few months and would like to make this the base for my training for the rest of the year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Overall good experience. Rooms are comfortable if not overly large. I had a small balcony that was a nice plus. There's also a large terrace on 8 that's great for getting some air/ambiance.

Room is very quiet with no interior or exterior noises intruding. Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was good but as several have noted it gets a little hectic in the morning. It was often a challenge getting a plate or occasionally a specific food item (like eggs or a specific yoghurt type).

Staff was generally very polite. Didn't get to the gym, but it's a nice jog down Paseo de Gracia, through the old quarter and to the beach if you need exercise

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hollywood, Maryland
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed Feb/Mar for a week. Wonderful staff. Navigator was extremely helpful. Rooms very nice and clean. Welcoming staff. Clean and crisp decor. Best central location to everything. Will stay there again when we go back.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank DianeB54
Cristina_El-Mashni, Executive Assistant, PR & Communications at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for this fantastic feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us so much, from the cleanness of your room and its contemporary decoration to our friendly ambassadors.

Thank you also for sharing your enthusiasm over our convenient central location, just steps away from main city attractions such as the famous Gaudi’s emblematic building “La Pedrera” or the Gothic Quartier.

I am proud to hear our Navigators - local experts- part of the Renaissance Navigator programe were so helpful in providing you truly recommendations.

Your comments are the best reward and all we are glad we succeeded in making your stay memorable.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we do hope to welcome you in the near future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2014

A contemporary and stylish hotel with a great central location. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and special. The rooms are modern and comfortable and the lounge has a nice sampling of wine. The only detractor is the breakfast area. It does offer a nice selection of choices but the guests descend upon it like locusts, leaving a disorganized mess. Unfortunately, the staff is unable to keep pace with replenishment of food or plates. Additionally, while it is a buffet style breakfast, you are dependent on flagging down one of the overworked staff to fill/refill your coffee cup.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment your recent stay at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests regarding the experience in our hotel as we consider these reviews one of the most valuable tools to improve and meet guest’s expectations.

I am delighted to hear you appreciate our convenience location, in the heart of the city which makes our hotel and ideal base for exploring our vibrant city full of hidden gems within walking distance.

I am glad we could make you feel welcome and we truly appreciate your comments regarding the comfort of our rooms that offer all facilities required by the modern travelers, from luxurious bedding to the high speed Wi-Fi connection.

Great to hear you were able to enjoy our wines in the CUIT Bar & Lounge and I do hope you had the opportunity to indulge your senses with our delicious Spanish “Platillos”.

Concerning your comment on our breakfast service, we are very sorry we did not meet your expectative and you felt it was a disorganized area. The buffet breakfast is served in our CRU Restaurant from 6:30 to 11:30am on the weekdays and from 7am to 12pm on weekends, and it is true, there is a lot of traffic during high season. We are currently trying to improve our breakfast service by considering open other venue such as CUIT Bar & Lounge to serve a quick or simple continental breakfast for those guest, who just want to quickly crab a coffee and a roll. We really appreciate your feedback on this matter because it does make our decision making easier. Your comments will certainly help us to improve the current situation and will ensure a much better breakfast experience. Nevertheless, we are delighted that you were very pleased with our large and nice food selection, from the daily baked pastries to the hot dishes.

You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Wembley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

As a returning client, who is also a Platinum member, I was hoping for a better experience.

The lady who I checked in with was quite pleasant, and when I asked if I had been upgraded, she said yes. When I arrived at my tiny room, with a minuscule queen-sized bed, I guess my expectations had been dashed. A doorman insisted that he take me up to my room but when he saw my disappointment, he rang down to reception. Unlike a previous poster, I was certainly NOT automatically upgraded to a corner- king-sized room.

After a trip back to reception explaining that as Platinum, the room was not up to my expectations, I was offered the “last” king-sized room on the first floor (my tiny room that I rejected was on the 9th floor). I thought this was a little strange, as it was still early in the day, but I was told it would not be ready for a couple of hours. I said fine, and left my luggage with the front desk (by the way, the hotel was never very busy over the weekend of my stay).

I returned after a couple of hours and I was allowed to check into what they called the “last” king-sized room. It was quite different from my last stay, as the room was much smaller and the bathroom no longer contained a rain-shower attachment (although the water strength was still excellent). I also never received the extra towels or pillows that are in my Marriott profile. I also found the room VERY warm and asked that a maintenance man pop up. He said that the temperature was okay but I could never get the room cool without opening the window each night.

One of the reasons I like this property is the abundance of British Freeview channels, but the BBC stations never came through.

The breakfast was still abundant, but the service was glacial. Trying to get a cup of coffee was an epic challenge each morning. The food was also not refreshed very often and there was no Cava – so I would suggest you get there earlier rather than later and don’t expect more than one cup of coffee with your breakfast.

The Wifi worked very well for the first two days but then stopped working on the third day.

This is still a good location and there is now a small mini-mart across the street for extra treats to put in your fridge.

Shampoo, conditioner etc have now been downgraded to a much cheaper brand. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff were excellent.

While this was not the same experience as my last visit, the bed was still incredibly comfortable and I had great sleep for the three nights I was there. I also like the patio / terrace area, which is fabulous for sunning.

I am saddened that I had some problems this time, but it continues to be a very popular hotel, especially with American clientele. Perhaps some of my complaints are “first world problems”, but if they really want to call themselves “5-star”, then they need to up their game …

Room Tip: The high floors have better views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Wembleygal
Cristina_El-Mashni, Executive Assistant to GM, PR & Communications at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, your feedback is extremely valuable. The experience you describe does not meet our standards and I am sorry for your frustration.

On this occasion, we would like to apologize for not being able to upgrade you to one of our corner king sized rooms which resulted in you being disappointed during your check-in. Many of our guests arrive early in the morning and we always try to have rooms ready and upgrades available. We are sorry to hear that we could not reach your Platinum guest expectations, nevertheless, I am glad to hear you had a restful sleep in one of our refurbished rooms.

Our style department works to provide clean and comfortable rooms, I will ensure to let them know your nice feedback. Certainly the room amenities have been changed recently to Tokyomilk by Margot Elena branded luxury products.

We sincerely regret your breakfast experience was less than impressive despite the array of food options and its quality. I shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager to assure that necessary actions are taken in order to improve our hospitality.

With reference to your comments about the British Freeview channels, please be informed some of them, like the BBC, cannot be tuned in some European countries since a few months ago. We are working closely with our engineering department to provide guests an alternative to ensure their satisfaction.

We completely understand how important it is for our guests to stay connected, I am disappointed to hear that your connection was unstable during your last day of stay. The issue has been reported to the engineering department to avoid any possible future service interruptions.

Thank you for your advice regarding the stunning views over Barcelona from our 8th floor terrace and for recommending our city view rooms located on the 9th and 10 floors facing iconic buildings like La Sagrada Familia, or Torre Agbar.

Once again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, especially in terms of service, which is usually our greatest strength. We continuously strive to provide excellent service accommodations to each of our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to demonstrate the qualities of the hotel that you expected. I invite you to contact me personally when you wish to make the arrangements.

Yours Sincerely,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel
Le Meridien Barcelona
Le Meridien Barcelona
#113 of 512 in Barcelona
NH Collection Barcelona Gran Hotel Calderon

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Hotel? Share your experiences!