“Elegance not overdone”

Ranked #175 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Elegance not overdone”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Really felt like a queen at this hotel. We were well taken care of from the moment we walked in. The staff was friendly to us and we felt very welcome. Their bar area was very enjoyable. Drinks were well made and they served us olives that were to die for! Breakfast was well done also. Much variety. However, the restaurant area was somewhat small. The room was a good size and very comfortable. Service was impeccable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shari W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Europe
Reviewed 14 August 2014

5 star hotel should not only be luxury and all shiny, but also the staff should be polite and friendly and this was definitely not the case. I was expecting a visit in Barcelona and wanted to go and check some hotels first before the visitors book a room. The lady at the reception first ignored me for a while, taking care of this and that before she finally attended me. I understand that the people at the reception are busy, but at least a hello, an eye contact or a smile would do it. Then when she had finally time, she was very short in giving me information about the rooms and the activities that the hotel offers and/or organizes. At the end she just let me standing there. Obviously, I was not important to her without a reservation. Well, I just can say that with this behaviour the hotel has lost some customers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Simona S
Cristina E, PR & Communications Coordinator at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Simona,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us.

As part of Marriott International, we are proud to be recognized worldwide as one of the leading hospitality companies, renowned for our ‘spirit to serve’ philosophy on which the company was founded.

What you have described is for us disappointing as it is so far from representing what we strive for every day. Clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourselves on. We have passed on your comments to the Front Office Manager to ensure this not occurs again.

We do hope you give us another opportunity to show you our hotel and services.

Cristina E
PR & Communications Coordinator
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I'm a big fan of Marriott and my family and I decided to stay in this hotel at the tail end of our holiday for one night: highly recommended.

Pros:
- superb rooms. Very clean, spacious and stylish.
- delicious buffet breakfast
- friendly and helpful staff at door of hotel
- they were able to provide us with two cribs for our kids.

Cons:
- check in staff was not particularly friendly / borderline rude. Surprising considering I was expecting Marriott level customer service.
- wifi signal from our room was weak
- not very close to La Ramblas, but still plenty to do around the area.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank The_Weezy
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My 3rd stay at the Renaissance Barcelona and each time I'm more pleased with the location. Easy walkiing distance to a variety of restaurants; helpful conceirge. Very comfortable rooms. A great choice for pre or post cruisers.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelerfr0mtheS0uth
Oz
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Renaissance Barcelona was ideal for us post cruise to rest up for one night and to be able to explore some of the central sights by foot. Two of the classical Gaudi buildings are just mere minutes away and we even walked to the land mark Sagrada Familia in 15-20 minutes. Pau Claris was one of the quieter streets especially in the evenings which may be relevant for some. Certainly if you wish to be in a traditional grand European hotel oozing with old world charm located on a major boulevard such as the adjacent Passeig de Gracia then this is not your hotel. For me the Renaissance represented Comfort, Convenience and Cost effective value. The interior styling could be described as very modern which may not be to every one taste

Where my expectation was exceeded and what prompted me to write the review was the fantastic service offered. A welcome introductory email three days before arrival asking if I had any requests, I initially considered this to be a standardised generic automated email. However when I received a personalised response a few hours later specifically addressing my queries I was most impressed. Upon check in - my request for an early check in (9am) was granted making life a lot easier when we only had a day to explore the city. The navigator service was great pointing out local landmarks for us to reach and the restaurant recommendation was also spot on. I couldn't believe the generosity when my request for a late check out was also granted once again helping us to maximise the limited time we had. Upon checking out I mentioned to the bell boy I hope the taxi driver wouldn't take us on the "scenic route" to the airport. He approached (and may have negotiated on our behalf) a private chauffeur waiting outside and arranged for him to take us to the airport in a luxury mercedes sedan instead of a regular taxi that had no accountability to the hotel. With tip it probably cost 5 Euro more than a regular taxi but well worth the peace of knowing you are not being "fleeced". The service from every staff member -housekeeping, reception, bell boy, terrace drinks waiter radiated genuine warmth as they greeted you with a smiling "hola". Hotels I've stayed at in Europe costing two or three times that of Renaissance Barcelona could certainly learn from this.

A few minor gripes as mentioned in previous reviews. The sound proofing was a bit lacking and with heavy room doors every time someone opened and and allowed the door to slam shut it could be heard down the corridor and potentially disturb sleep. The lack of lighting in the bathroom was not helped by the choice of very dark coloured floor and wall tiles.

Overall I'm happy to return to the hotel based on its service and location.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank vegasnewboy
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at this location for 3 nights. Great location, helpful staff, and comfortable and stylish rooms. As a platinum elite, also received complimentary buffet breakfast that was fresh and tasty. Also received free wi fi. Had no problems with wi-fi as others noted. The Concierge was very helpful and gave us great suggestions for nearby Tapas restaurants and tourist sites. The hotel is located in a great location to some fine restaurants, shopping and tourist spots. Can walk to old town area which is something to see. When I return to Barcelona again this is a property I will look for first.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel is in great location
Service was stellar and over great experience
Great conceriege - Breakfast was well done.
Front desk was top flight -polite and quality.
I would recommend before or after any cruises out of or into Barcelona.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cristina E, PR & Communications Coordinator at Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your positive comments regarding our ambassadors and service and that you enjoyed your breakfast experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for a future visit and thank you once again for posting a great review.

Yours Sincerely,
Cristina E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcelona
Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel
Le Meridien Barcelona
Le Meridien Barcelona
#113 of 512 in Barcelona
NH Collection Barcelona Gran Hotel Calderon

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Hotel? Share your experiences!