Hotel Espana(Barcelona)
  • Restaurant
US$229
US$151
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$167/night.

Hotel Claris(Barcelona)
US$258
US$246
Derby Hotels
US$197
US$177
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$206/night.

US$132
US$132
Priceline
  • Restaurant
1,341 results
All reviewspedestrian streetterrace roomgreat locationgothic quarterpool areala ramblasmall poolairport busrecommend this hotellovely hotelbarcelona cathedralsuperior roomquiet at nightminute walkexcellent breakfastair conditioningloved this hotel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had a great experience staying at Catalonia Portal de l'Angel, everything was exactly as pictured in the photos, I loved my room and the location was awesome. I didn't end up using the pool due to running out of time but the area looked great. Breakfasts were yum and well worth the additional expense. The only issue I ran into was with one late night staff member who I found a bit rude and contradicted a previously arranged situation, this would not however put me off staying there again or totally recommending the hotel as overall it was great.

Stayed: June 2018
CataloniaPortalAngel, Director General at Catalonia Portal de l'Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear ARussellNZ,

Thank you very much for your excellent comment.
It makes us very happy to know that you liked the hotel and that your experience has been positive.
In reference to the person you found rude, I will talk to my staff so that it does not happen again.
Your comments help us improve every day and I appreciate the time you spent writing it.

Staff&Sonia Matheu
Hotel Catalonia Portal de l'Angel

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The location of the hotel is great, very handy for the old and new town. The bus from the airport drops you very close to the door so its easy to get to. The building itself has loads of character and the room was very nice/clean. The staff were very cheery and always helpful.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear pac34,
First of all, thank you very muchfor sharing your opinion with us.
We are very happy to know that your experience was excelent.
Hoping to see you on a next trip to Barcelona,
Staff & Sonia Matheu
Hotel Catalonia Portal de l'Angel

Reviewed 4 June 2018

I really loved the location, directly on the shopping street, opposite H&M :-) The garden and the pool is really nice and relaxing.
1min to Placa Catalunya. All sorts of restaurants and sightseeing spots within walking distance. Beach 20-30mins by foot.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank christensimone
CataloniaPortalAngel, Director General at Catalonia Portal de l'Angel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Dear christensimone,

We are very happy to know that your stay lived up to your expectations!
We hope that the next trip to Barcelona is to stay with us.
Thank you very much for your excellent review!
Best regards form all staff,

Sonia Matheu & Staff hotel
Catalonia Portal de l'Angel

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

My mum and I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of May. The weather was glorious, just right for exploring this beautiful city.
The hotel is in a great location, good for the Gothic Quarter, shopping centre, restaurants, Cathedral, Casa Batllo, Catalunya metro station and is one block in front of La Rambla.

The hotel itself is small, yet just right for a city break. It is very elegant for a 3*, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff were very friendly. Breakfast is a good option to add onto your stay as there is so much choice each morning. They even provide Cava which you can help yourself to, this was great as it was my birthday whilst staying there - so a nice touch for a celebration. The hotel also left me a box of chocolates in our room which I thought was nice.

Now for the amazing part, the hotel rooms have android mobile phones that you are free to use throughout the duration of your stay. This includes calls to the UK free of charge (to landlines, not mobiles), a handy city guide and google maps. Not only can you use these in your room but you can take them out and about with you! This was our lifesaver, I don't think we would have got around the city as easy without it! We literally walked everywhere, as we had the confidence with having the phone with us to use for navigation. The only place we didn't walk to was Park Güell, we caught the metro as a bit too far to walk to. The metro was so easy to use! Even the staff there were extremely helpful when purchasing our tickets from the machine - not like the grumpy people you come across when using the London underground.

The only thing that lets this hotel down ever so slightly is the odd bathroom door, it doesnt close like a normal door does, its more like a swinging door that opens from both sides and has a slight gap around the edges, so its not great if you want privacy whilst in the bathroom. There is no lock to it either.
The other thing is that the walls seemed to be paper thin, you can hear your neighbours talking, playing their music, flushing the toilet, using the sink, drying their hair with the hairdryer and their alarm clock going off. Despite these two not so great points I would still 100% recommend this lovely little hotel and I would stay here again if I ever returned to Barcelona :-)

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Dear ELWallace_88,

We are very happy to know that your stay lived up to your expectations!
We take note about your comment of badroom doors!
We hope that the next trip to Barcelona is to stay with us.
Thank you very much for your excellent review!
Best regards form all staff,

Sonia Matheu & Staff hotel
Catalonia Portal de l'Angel

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Staffs at the reception was unfriendly. Service without a smile.

Post my check out I have realised I had lost my wallet and had contacted the hotel (spoke with Maria) to check the cctv at the reception as I may have dropped my wallet while checking out (to pay for the city tax) or on my way out of the hotel.

I had requested for her to check if the cctv show any signs of red purse in my bag/ when I was walking out of the hotel and post my conversation she had said she need to speak with her manager as only her manager have access to the cctv footage, thus requested me to call back the next day.

When I called back the next day she had said the cctv is too far from the check in desk and was not able to “see anything”. Which I therefore asked for her to confirm via email as a written response that she had indeed spoke with her manager and had checked the cctv.

To date, despite multiple chasers, (bearing in mind the check out was on 15May), there was no response from her.

As many travellers would have agreed to lose your wallet while travelling is a terrible nightmare. The lack of follow up and lack of service brings a terrible experience as this shows how unhelpful and lack of empthay from the staff.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jen_slf,

We deeply regret the loss of your wallet.
The hotel has reviewed the images of the day of your check-in and at no time detected that the wallet had been lost at the counter.
Whenever we find some forgetfulness of our guests, we keep it under lock and key.
We felt that your experience was not pleasant although it was the loss of the wallet caused your bad impression.

Sonia Matheu