“Small, clean and very friendly hotel”

NH Hesperia Barcelona del Mar
Ranked #240 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Small, clean and very friendly hotel”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had a 3 night stay in April, very clean, very friendly and close to the beach - would recommend! Didn't have breakfast, might book that next time.

Very short walk to the beach and not far from a shopping centre. Hired bikes to get around and see some more sites but did not stay long enough to see it all but will do next time!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife went on our 25 wedding anniversery trip to Barcelona in june 2014 and stayed in this hotel for one week. We enjoyed our stay very much. We had the best view to the beach and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Every day we got new sheets and towels and the room was cleaned up. We highly recommend this hotel.

Geordieland
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just returned yesterday after 2nd (5 night) stay at this hotel. Extremely clean and comfortable, and very helpful staff. Great location with beach across the road and city centre only 2€ on regular bus service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeordieTraveller116
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is right on the beach with very nice views if you get a room with a balcony. The rooms are clean by European standards and the service was decent. The room cost me $150 at the end of May which I thought was a good price. They have a very good breakfast for 11 euro which includes the standard Iberian ham/chorizo/cheese set-up and also they will make you an omelette. It's not in the middle of Las Ramblas or by Plaza Catalunya which to me was a plus since I've been there before and I'm not big on drunk college students. It's on a nice street that runs by the beach with many restaurants just downstairs. Overall better experience than I've had in other hotels in Barcelona as far as cleanliness goes. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the beach and the highest floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Harry C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I loved this hotel. I had emailed this hotel before we arrived to upgrade our room that I had booked. The 10Euro extra per night was well worth it. We got a ocean facing room with a balcony and king size bed. The room was huge considering we just got there from Paris. I liked that it was not in downtown Barcelona. The best feeling was waking up to looking at the Mediterranean Ocean. I found our bed comfortable The front staff were very friendly. From the airport cost about 30Euro. They had a car rental in the hotel which was great because we were able to rent a car for a day and drive up to Monserrat. The car rental cost about 60Euro for the day. The breakfast food at the hotel was a little expensive but since I'm such a picky eater I was just happy to get something I would like. The hotel had some restaurants close by. My favorite restaurant was El Modernista, which had great service and food. The street in front of the hotel has a Hop On Hop Off bus service. We got tickets for the Hop On and Hop Off bus for 35Euro each for two days. I thought it was great because in Barcelona there is no parking to be found and no getting lost on all the one ways... The beach was a 5 min walk, great for a morning or evening stroll. I wish they would have little coffee makers in the room. I would have loved to sit out on the balcony with a coffee. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CruzCat
London
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This bed was awful and I did not sleep at all. The breakfast was basic. The staff were friendly, but inflexible and did not provide any support. Half decent location, but overall for the price, there are better hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here at the end of May on a recommendation.
Hotel is located near the beach and a short walk from the metro station.
The bedroom was spacious and clean and the bathroom had seen better days and compared to the Hotel Front Maritim the bathroom was inferior.
The ceiling was damaged in the bathroom and a vent cover was left uncovered in the bedroom ceiling on my arrival which I put right myself. This lack of eye for detail lets this hotel down.
The bedroom was comfortable but basic and the bed was comfortable.
The wifi is poor, and this results in guests hovering around reception looking for wireless signals. I cannot understand why the hotel does not sort out its WIFI as it would be a good selling point and has been mentioned by several guests previously-
There was also a lot of loud conversation between reception staff and other hotel staff which I have never seen before at a hotel on a social level. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing- or whether it creates a poor impression-
I ate breakfast at the hotel. The first morning I was told by the waiter - an older man with pretty bad body odour that I could order a hot breakfast if I wished -so I did just that. Scrambled eggs and bacon. I was disappointed with them, the eggs were tasteless and unseasoned and the bacon greasy. The rest of the breakfast is good with fresh orange juice, cheese, meats, fruit, breads, cereal, yoghurts and coffee and the compulsory morning cakes.
On the second day the notice was removed from the tables informing guests that they could order a hot breakfast and a different waiter was serving - he made no effort to encourage any hot breakfast orders -perhaps he was aware of the quality.
Breakfast cost 11 euro but I cant imagine getting anything for less in the local cafes depending of course on what you eat for breakfast!
LATE check out is a rip off and they wanted to charge 10 euro per hour after midday. With a very late flight that evening this would have cost a further 60 euro for the priviledge of a shower before returning to the airport. The hotel had no changing facilities either. Btw the charge was 15 euro in total at the Hotel Front Maritime for late checkout which was very good value especially when clean towels were left in the room before departure)
NH hotels need to look at this charge-

Room Tip: Try the breakfast buffet at least once-
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business