“Great Location”
Review of Hotel Balmes

Hotel Balmes
Ranked #112 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We spent 3 nights @ The Balmes in December for my husbands 40th Birthday.
I also had booked the hotel a few months earlier, but nearer the time time checked the price and it had gone down,so I phoned the hotel who said that they would honour the cheaper price.
The rooms are small but fine, the bathroom is compact and clean, but have to say the bath is tiny.
I thought Barcelona was the most wonderful place I have ever been to, the building's, the food, the wine.
We found Barcelona very reasonable for food and drinks, although the Ramblas is a rip off!!!!...

Planning on going again probably March or April.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2009

I would like to have given this hotel 3.5 as we did have some problems (heating) but seeing that I can't I decided to give 4! The hotel is very well located - 5 mins walk to the Passeig de Gracia and about a 10 minute walk to Placa de Catalunya. There are several excellent, reasonably priced restaurants and bars within close proximity to the hotel and the shopping is great.

We booked a standard room a few months ago via the hotel's website. However, just before we left the UK I checked the website and noted that the price of the room was now e70 instead of the e80 we had been quoted. I contacted the hotel and who advised me that we would be charged the new rate. On arrival the guy on reception advised us that we were being upgraded as the hotel was not full. We were also offered 2 for 1 on the breakfast - usually e14 each. We decided to accept this offer given that it would probably have cost us nearly that for coffee and croissants in a local cafe. The breakfast, which was very good, consisted of a cold buffet - fresh fruit, cheese, meats, cereals, yoghurts, bread and cakes. In addition you could have eggs and bacon. Whilst good value for e7 each I would not have paid e14 each.

Our room, which was simply but tastefully decorated, faced onto the back and we did not, therefore, get any road noise. However, as meantioned by other reviewers, you do get noise. Whilst the rooms are supposedly soundproofed you can hear the plumbing, doors closing etc from other rooms. Despite being a light sleeper it didn't really affect me to much - I guess it may have been that the hotel was not busy.

On our first night the heating did not work (and the room was freezing) but it was sorted straight away once we reported it. Another night we came back to find the electrics in the room had gone - again sorted quickly. We found the reception staff to be very friendly and helpful with reasonable English.

Whilst being January and unexceptionally cold for Barcelona we did not use the pool. However I think that it woud be a bonus in the summer plus having space to lie in the sun after a hard days sightseeing/shopping.

Whilst I would stay in this hotel again I have stayed in others in the same location which were equally as good and similarly priced so would depend on what offer I could get. We stayed in the Barcelona Center last year (opposite the Balmes) which I think spoiled us.

I would like to recommend the Dry Martini Bar (recommended in several guide books) for an experience - worth going but the martinis start at e9!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TTK
Reviewed 9 September 2008

Stayed here on business as the rate seemed quite good. Not sure if I was unlucky with my room (as it was an internal room), but I found it quite dingy, musty and a little pokey. The bathroom was fully equipped but left a little to be desired - the daily fight with the shower curtain for one! It is also quite noisy as the corridors seem to echo when people move about. (Recommend ear plugs!). Pool looked nice, but I arrived too late in the eve to use it. Free entrance to the Egyptian museum for guests too, which I used. (Not much there, but something to do if you have an hour to kill!) . Overall, not my first choice of hotel, but If you can get a good price though, I would consider it again overall.

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank rollerchick
Reviewed 8 August 2008

most importantly, the location is spot on- around 15 minutes walk down to Placa de Catalunya. if you enjoy shopping, you are only five minutes away from the main shopping street Passeig de Gracia. Everything was easy to get to- especially Gaudi buildings (la Pedrera)

pool was great for a dip after a long day of sightseeing- rooms were very very clean- we even had a small terrace with chairs and a table

my friend and i don't speak spanish- the hotel staff that we dealt with spoke good enough english for this not to be a problem- however some of the staff could have been more friendly- e.g. saying hola when we went out or returned in the evening.

overall, i would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to make the most out of their trip to barcelona

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank helbag
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We stayed at the Balmes for 3 nights, two of us in a quiet room facing the pool and the other two in a room facing the street. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the location is excellent - and we found the staff to be very nice and friendly (we do not speak spanish). The hotel has a carpark, which is nice if you come by car. We paid Eur 225 per room for Thursday night and Eur 138 Friday and Saturday night. We booked through the hotel's website.
We will recommend the hotel to familiy ans friends.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Mette C
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I will start by saying the hotel is fine. We took advice from this site and booked rooms facing the courtyard (paid 20 Euros extra per night per room) and it was incredibly quiet. We liked the hotel's location and access to dining spots. The small pool was very pleasant.

The staff was very grumpy and did nothing to make us feel welcomed. Personally, I think all but one of the staff we met should be fired. There should be a reason that hotels are considered to be part of the hospitality industry. I think if I checked in again I would immediately make it known that I was not going to tolerate the unpleasantness of the staff.

Additionally we wanted to change something on our reservation. This was impossible to do via email or phone calls we made before we left the United Sates. We wound up keeping the reservation as we originally booked but we did feel scammed.

All this being said, I still would stay there again. We found the rooms to be perfectly cleaned and maintained.

One final tip, we wandered over to the "Passeig Gràcia" a beautiful boulevard about three blocks from the hotel. We had a quick breakfast of coffee and pastries at a cafe .... it turned out to be a $75 breakfast for four of us. My guess is this is just emblematic of the priciness of this particularly elegant thoroughfare - cafes off on side streets charged a fraction of this cost.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Family2YoungAdultKid
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Having booked a double room through expedia we were then told on arrival that in order to get a double we needed to pay a supplement but that it would be very quiet, until they knocked down a wall outside our window at 8am. Following my complaint about that the staff were grumpy and rude. I would not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008