“what a wonderful place..!!!”
Review of El Balcon del Born

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barcelona
El Balcon del Born
Ranked #50 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2014

what a wonderful place!!! thanks so much to roberto, pablo and tom who made my first barcelona experience amazing, starting from the very responsive, detailed room reservation and information, warm welcome greetings and well explained and prepared maps, tour and restaurants guides to delicious breakfast and coffee and many more.....

i felt really safe to travel by myself because the people at the guest house were just like my great friends who i could count on and felt so comfortable to ask them any questions.

the guest house is located at such a convenient location. i stayed at the guest house for about a week at room 2 with bathroom and balcony; it is really like a paradise! what a delight to just sit at the balcony to enjoy barcelona.. thanks very much!!!! i hope i will come back again to visit in the near future!!!

p.s. all rooms can be locked which are important to me since i am travelling by myself.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank m k

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Location Location Location

We don't normally stay in B&B's though if all we're like this I’d stay in more. Great service and location, OUR only complaint is we wished we'd stayed longer. Great little restaurant diagonally across with the Michelin star, a must eat experience. Tanks for a great stay we'll see you again soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ScarboroBoy
Reviewed 2 December 2013

A superbly located B&B in the heart of Barcelona and I don't know if there's anything that could beat this place for location. It's not exactly the cheapest B&B you'll ever stop in but when you weigh up the amount of time and money you'd spend commuting, what you have nearby in terms of sights and restaurants and combine this with the atmosphere and it's absolutely worth it. Pablo and Anna and the guys they have with them running the place are friendly, hospitable and genuine. We had our four year old boy with us who was treated with respect and the odd lollipop was found lying on his bed when we got back. Equally when he melted down and decided to scream there was just a lot knowing nods and understanding. That leads nicely into one piece of advice for family travellers with young children, being in the heart of the city with vibrant night life and late nights, the streets are busy and noisy well into the early hours so if you have light sleepers this is something to bear in mind.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tom T
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Wow we finally made it to Barcelona
Looking for the B&B after being dropped off by the taxi driver who did not speak English.
We called Pablo and Roberto
Who came down, brought us over and helped carry our luggage.
The place was very clean.
Other guests were having breakfast and we were invited to join.
After filling our stomachs with some fresh croissants and pastries and a good cup of coffee.
We went out to explore the city.
I found the area were we staying was full of restaurants, close to the beach a great location.
And now for the B&B
Pablo and Roberto made this a wonderful experience by helping us find good restaurants, recommending places to see like park Guell. They really made us feel at home.
The only thing that was hard for me was a shared washroom.
Still overall experience excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I spent six nights at El Balcon del Born in mid-October and had a lovely stay. Our arrival was a bit challenging…no reflection on the B&B…my phone had been stolen in Portugal and the information/photos provided by Roberto that were designed to help us with directions, etc. were no longer available. Those directions would have been very helpful, so be sure to bring them with you if your plans include El Balcon del Born. We asked some shop-keepers in the area for assistance and they pointed the way to the right door. We were met by Anna and Pablo and a nice cold glass of water. That evening, Pablo provided a map of Barcelona with suggestions on things to do and places to eat. All of the staff provided on-going information and recommendations throughout our stay. We never had the sense that we were bothering them or taking up too much of their time when we asked for clarification. When we encountered difficulty obtaining tickets for the Sagrada Familia, Anna accompanied us to the local bank that normally provided these tickets.

Our room was #1, and we found it spacious, comfortable, and clean. Loved the balcony, especially when we returned to the B&B after a busy afternoon of sightseeing. Sitting out there with a cold drink and watching all of the activity on the street was great. I had some reservations about the lack of a private bath, but this wasn't an issue during our stay. Not once in our six day stay did I have to wait for the bathroom.

Breakfasts were very good. Food was plentiful. We particularly enjoyed the freshly squeezed juices and croissants. Access to the kitchen was a plus as was the availability of bottled water, beer, tea, and coffee. Some mornings we ate on the balcony at a table for two, but during most of our stay we shared the larger table and had fun chatting with folks from Wisconsin, Holland, Quebec, France, England, etc.

The location of El Balcon del Born is perfect as we were within walking distance of almost everything we wanted to see. The daily rate was reasonable; we felt we received great value for the cost.

Other reviewers commented on the noise from the street. We found that this wasn't a problem as we closed our balcony door to sleep and this muffled any noise that might have bothered us. There was a fan in our room, but we never needed it.

Overall, our stay was a very pleasant one in a bustling corner of Barcelona, a city that deserves a longer stay than we could manage. The welcome extended by our hosts, Anna, Pablo, and Roberto made the experience special. If we return to Barcelona, we'll definitely stay at El Balcon del Born.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 20 October 2013

First of all, kudos to Roberto who very graciously waited outside of El Balcon del Born for us for over four hours due to my mistake with providing an incorrect arrival time of our plane from Lyon! Poor Roberto tried to text message us and our phones didn't have European access so he didn't know what time we would actually arrive! The bus and trains from the airport were extremely easy to use and the walking route to the B & B from the train station was a snap, using directions from a previous e-mail from Roberto. As we rounded the corner, dragging our luggage, he kindly asked if we were the family looking for El Balcon del Born. When we replied yes, he looked slightly relieved! He helped us with our luggage and up we went into the B & B. It is beautiful! As you walk into the main room with the dining table, you are enchanted with the room, the décor and the view from the balcony. Roberto gave us a tour of the B & B and showed us to our room. He then spent about 20 - 30 minutes showing us maps of Barcelona and providing us with a typed list of suggested sites and restaurants in the area. We had numerous questions and showed him our planned itinerary and he made suggestions as to the best way to combine our choices to make the most of our days. We never felt rushed and didn't even realize that as soon as he felt we were settled in, he could then go home to his own family! We felt terrible when we realized what had happened because of our mistake and the poor man had actually spent over 5 hours waiting for us and then providing us a lengthy orientation. However, he was extremely kind and never implied it was an imposition! We were extremely impressed!

The room itself was large and had a balcony which was fun to sit out on and look down on the pedestrians walking past. We opened up the door so we could hear the quiet sounds of the Barcelona street scene. We never had a problem with waiting to use the bathroom. This was the only place we stayed on our European trip where we did not have a private bathroom and I was a little hesitant about this. However, even with the rooms completely full with other guests, we never had to wait more than a few minutes to use the bathroom. Amenities such as shampoo, shower gel, hair dryers and the like are available in the bathrooms. The breakfast was quite nice with large croissants, toast, granola bars, fresh orange juice, cereals and fruit. The location of the B & B is excellent and walking to the main shopping area of Barcelona and the fruit and vegetable market is easy. We liked that we could go into the kitchen at night and fix our own cup of tea/coffee, etc.

We would definitely recommend El Balcon del Born to travelers going to Barcelona. Hint for anyone who is Barcelona-bound: however many days you have planned to visit Barcelona, it will not be enough! There are so many wonderful architectural sites to see, that one could visit Barcelona for two months and still find more incredible things to see! Enjoy Barcelona!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank cocoanutty
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Based on the reviews I read, I expected a charming, lovely B&B with friendly, helpful hosts, in an excellent location. The B&B is in an excellent location (we walked everywhere) and Anna & Thomas were very friendly and helpful, but the B&B itself is far from what I would consider exceptional (which so many reviews led me to believe it would be) and our overall experience was disappointing. We spent 3 nights at El Balcon del Born and I can only speak to our experience with our room, which was room #2, the only room with a private bathroom. In our opinion, this room is in dire need of upgrading; it is worn and very tired looking. The wallpaper was peeling, the floor tiles were cracked, the mattress was thin and hard, the linens were of poor quality, and the bathroom was rather unusual in that not only was it tiny (not a single shelf for toiletries), it was the room you walked into when entering the room. In addition, every time the toilet was flushed or the water ran, the pipes made a rather loud and strange sound. However, on a positive note, the water flow in the shower was good and there was plenty of hot water, too. In both the bathroom and the bedroom, pipes were exposed, which does not create a charming or cozy atmosphere. In other words, the pictures presented by the establishment do not match the room we had; simply put, the room was shabby and because of that, it is hard to say it was clean. I am sure it was clean to the extent that there was not any overt dirt, but it didn't feel clean - it felt, well, shabby; I can't explain that any better.

The breakfast room was nice and the selection of food for breakfast was basic but plentiful and the food itself was good. As I said, Anna and Thomas were very friendly and helpful, and my husband's interaction with Pablo was very positive, but that does not make up for the disappointment and discomfort my husband and I felt every time we walked into our room (never mind the entrance to the building itself and the dark stairway - neither inspired a feeling of warmth or welcome). My husband and I travel quite a bit and we love staying in B&Bs and we have stayed in some really lovely ones; we enjoy the interaction with the hosts and other guests and the feeling of living in a home rather than in a hotel. We do not expect 5 star accommodations every time, but we do expect a certain level of comfort and quality, especially when that is what is promised and for what we are paying and what we anticipate we will be getting. We have never before had this kind of disappointment in a B&B and it brings me no pleasure to write an unflattering review, but I feel if TA is going to remain a reliable source for booking hotels, reviewers must give honest reviews. I am surprised so many others had a different experience of El Balcon del Born - but that does not change or negate what my husband and I experienced. Again, I can only speak to the quality of the room we had - perhaps the other rooms are different. However, if you are looking to book the room with the private bathroom, I think you deserve to know what you will be getting, so in addition to my personal impressions, I have included photos of the room and bathroom.

My bottom line is this: despite the positives of this B&B, and despite the fact we really liked Anna & Thomas, if I had known the condition of the building and the quality of the room, I would have chosen a different B&B.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple