“Expensive and over rated , By the way dont expect fresh sheets & pillow cases!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalonia Barcelona Plaza

Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Ranked #214 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Located in the beautiful city of Barcelona , this hotel gives quick and easy access to the metro and a shopping mall. However it disappoints on a number of basics. First the breakfast is served on stone cold plates . So if you do decide to have breakfast , eat immediately otherwise if becomes too cold to eat. More disappointing is the house keeping. While the bathroom is cleaned nicely , the sheets and pillow cases are not changed daily. I just had to call reception today 25th February 2014 at 4pm to get it changed and was rudely told by the receptionist that the sheets are not usually changed . Often i got no apology for the lady about it .However i insisted and got them changed for fresh sheets. So my advice , if you don't want to pay for an over priced hotel with poor customer service and the probability of sleeping in sheets left from other guests , look for another hotel. Having said that though, the location is great so for a one night stay , may not be bad, but for a long business trip or holiday, you are much better off else where.

Plus i think the hotel needs to add to its website the fact that customer should not expect fresh sheets and pillow cases daily that way we all know what we are paying for from the start. I would have changed hotel but this week its busy and other similar types of places are full and expensive . Not delighted , cant wait to leave...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear guets,
First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to the city of Barcelona, and give us your opinion, always important to us.
In relation with your comments, we are sorry to know that your stay has not lived completely up to your expectations. We want to let you know that we have taken note of your observations, for example the ones regarding the breakfast, and that we have already made some changes. Please, be sure that our entire team is working to improve and provide our customers the most comfortable and pleasant stay as possible.
Once again thank you for your valuable assistance, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in our hotel on a future occasion. Do not hesitate to contact us in case you decide to return to Barcelona and we will be happy to assist you again.
Yours sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I always take my customers to Catalonia Plaza as I know that the people working there have great capacity and interest to provide excellent customer service.
Besides from its premium location, spacious rooms and 5* breakfast with great variety, I feel very well taken care of here and this is important when you travel with a big group of customers, following every single move you make.

Room Tip: If you stay on a Friday or Saturday evening, get a superior room with Plaza Espanya view to enjoy th...
1 Thank Tzvetelina I
Dear Tzvetelina,
First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to the city of Barcelona.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and send us your always valuable feedback. It is a pleasure for the whole team, to confirm that you have enjoyed our hotel and your stay in our beautiful city.
Do not hesitate to contact us in case you decide to return to Barcelona. All the staff will be happy to assist you and thank you personally for your trust.
Best regards and see you soon,
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

The room was perfect and had everything we needed. We had a nice view of the busy playa and the interesting buildings beyond. The aerobus stops outside making easy access from the airport. The breakfast was a massive buffet style and gave lots of choices. Omelettes and pancakes were being prepared to order. We would use this hotel again. Linda on reception was extremely helpful and was a mine of information. Her recommendations for restaurants were all very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Titch5656
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing this extensive review!
I am happy to hear your nice comments about our staff and specially for Linda, as well as the convenient location of the hotel itself.
We will share your comments with our team as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience.
I really hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may show you the complete quality stay you deserve.
Best regards,
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

In November 2010 we visited Spain as a group and during the trip in Barcelona we stayed in Catalonia Barcelona Plaza Hotel. Rooms were designed perfectly, quite enough and the outisde view from the windows were beautiful ! We only got the breakfast so I can only tell about it. You are free to eat anything from the open buffet. Wide variety of food available. The most important thing is the hotel is located just in the heart of the city. Bus stops and subway stations are just 5-10 steps away from the hotel. So you dont have to worry about the trasportation. I really liked the hotel and if I travel to Barcelone again I sure choose the same hotel for accommodation.

Note: I had to choose March 2013 as our travel date because previous dates are not available to choose ! Thats a mistake of the website. Because not all members are travelled in 2013 or 2014. I travelled in 2010 but there is no such option in the box.

Room Tip: Choose a room which looks to the front side of the street. The view is amazing :)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Aslan B
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear guest,
We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had.

The staff was utterly rude, under-trained and unprofessional. There was NO issue that was handled stress-free. To the extent that the receptionist helping me print out some business related papers that I urgently needed, first read the papers and then brought them out from their back office, and more, dared to question me about the content and expressed an opinion on it. When i talked to the manager on duty i was met with total indifference and was asked to pay for those days that i had stayed by that time, despite the fact that i was in the middle of my stay...

The breakfast buffet was bland and repetitive. Rooms had no noise insulation, whoever walked by your door or down the corridor the steps would echo loudly. The corridors were constantly noisy which made sleep almost impossible.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank busi_savvy
Dear guest,
First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel Attica21 Barcelona Mar during your visit to the city of Barcelona, and give us your opinion, always important to us.
In relation with your comments, we are sorry to hear that your stay has not lived up to your expectations. We want to let you know that we have taken note of your observations and talked with the staff involved in this case; finding out that it was an unfortunate misunderstanding between you and our receptionist.
Our entire team is working to improve and provide our customers the most comfortable and pleasant stay as possible.

Surrey, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I've stayed here twice recently and was lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite both times, which was fantastic. Extremely spacious and comfortable and with great views.

If I needed to hold a business meeting I would consider hiring a suite here as there is a small business meeting area off the sitting room with a decent size conference table, and the bedroom is separated altogether by a corridor. There is also a separate loo if you do have visitors, so they don't have to use the main bathroom.

The hotel is perfect if you need to have access to convenient transport links but it isn't so central for the tourist areas, it just depends on what you need.

The hotel staff have (with one exception) been excellent. The reception staff have been really welcoming and helpful with everything on both visits, and the girl who took my room service orders during the first week was also excellent - friendly, suggested menu options, had really good English etc. Unfortunately the man I spoke to on room service in the second week wasn't very helpful or friendly, I seemed to be bothering him.

Aside from that, room service is one of my only complaints about the hotel. Strangely they have a sushi menu and a pizza menu, both of which are ordered in from outside the hotel, and yet they also have room service from the cafeteria for which they don't provide a menu in the room. I only want a light meal in the evening - a salad or soup or similar, but they only have one salad on the room service menu, Chicken Caesar, which has fried, breaded chicken drenched in dressing. I'm sure they could do much better than that. I was there for two nights each week and it will put me off staying there again because I will need to go out of the hotel to get myself something to eat and take it back there. It just isn't good enough really.

Wifi cover was much better than I've experienced in other hotels in Barcelona and it is well located for the metro, suburban train and the shopping centre in the old bullring opposite.

The only other downside to this hotel is the cavernous breakfast room, which is fine if it's quiet, but if there are lots of people it is incredibly noisy and chaotic, and items aren't restocked quickly enough. If it isn't too busy, then they have a fairly extensive buffet with all the usual plus someone making omelettes to order.

Overall it's very good, particularly the service, and if they could improve the room service I would be inclined to rate them excellent, as I could forgive them for the breakfast area.

1 Thank puffpuff
Dear Guest,

I do like to read that you enjoyed our large and recent renovated suites but what I really like the most are your comments regarding our staff!
Many thanks for your time and your nice comments and I truly hope to welcome you back very soon.