“Polite, but entirely unprepared!”

Condes De Barcelona
Ranked #125 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Marietta, Georgia
“Polite, but entirely unprepared!”
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Condes de Barcelona is in a great location and that was why I selected this hotel. As cruise passengers were checking in and out on the day we checked in, they were completely unprepared to deal with the numbers of people. We arrived at 9:30am and of course did not expect a room to be ready. No problem...told it would be ready at 2:00pm. We returned and the place was still a mess and entirely covered up with people standing in line and all over the tiny lobby area. Our room was not ready and we were told we would have to wait an undetermined amount of time. I indicated that this was unacceptable as I had prepaid this room and expected to be able to check in by check in time. We were given a room. The room was sparse but clean and a lovely view....then 1 hour and 40 minutes later after complaining twice we finally got our luggage. I begged them to let me just bring it up myself and was told "no, we don't have the key". I was beginning to get worried as we hadn't seen the luggage for about 6 or 7 hours....My husband went down then and finally our luggage arrived. The staff was generally polite, but they were just unstaffed and unprepared for the number of people coming and going. Wouldn't stay there again....

4 Thank mta65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Just returned from a vacation in Spain where we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. For our Barcelona visit, we stayed at the Condes de Barcelona and found the hotel to be absolutely perfect in every way. Our room overlooked a courtyard, and was spacious and comfortable. The hotel is located in a neighborhood where we felt extremely safe out on our own, both day and night. We walked to and toured many of the sights for which Barcelona is so famous--especially some of the Gaudi masterpieces such as La Sagrada Familia and Casa Batllo. We also walked to the Bari Gothic, toured the Cathedral, and strolled on Las Ramblas. From the moment we checked in to our departure, the entire staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. The breakfast buffet was delicious. We will be in Barcelona again in the Fall, and will most definitely return to Condes.

5 Thank kalajori
New York, NY
Reviewed 26 May 2011

As soon as I entered the room, I knew it was perfect. Spare modern design inside the room resonated with the old-world beauty of the corridors and the inner courtyard. My room had French windows and a Juliet balcony which overlooked the passing parade on the Passeig de Gracia but it was not noisy even with the window open. The bathroom had a bidet, first time I ever used one. The little cafe/bar in the lobby provided a quiet refuge for a coffee or a coke. The hotel is quiet even though it is very centrally located on the fashionable Passeig de Gracia. All in all, a real gem.

Room Tip: Get a condal room in the older building. Worth it.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Saffy101
Paris, France
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Its is my 3rd stay at Condes de Barcelona, the location the best for shopping, restaurants and visits !

The hotel is confortable, but I advise the "old" building (renovated) bacause the rooms are more spacious and with better amenities.

The swiming pools evendough very small (at the top of both buildings) are a great "plus" in the center of Barcelona, also with a nice bar near the swiming pool.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank The_Attorney
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Never disappointed staying in Barcelona, Hotel Condes de Barcelona was no exception, cab ride from Barcelona Airport came out to around 20 Euro, check-in was a breeze, room had a very spacious and modern feel, hardwood floors in the room and slate in the restroom, very comfortable bed, push button electronic curtains that led out to your private balcony. The top deck lounge had a great view of the city, including the Sagrada Familia. Wireless internet was a 6 Euro charge for 24hrs. One of the best things about the hotel is the location, close to everything that’s worth seeing and more.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank StevoA
Ramsey, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Great location, we had a Casa Mila view from our room. Breakfast was fantastic
We am very pleased with my hotel choice and higly recommend it

Dallas TX
Reviewed 24 April 2011

This hotel, although the location is pretty good, has very poor service. First, there is no tour desk, no concierge, no easy access to maps or any tour info. You must ask the front desk clerk for everything relating to the city. The problem is that the clerk makes you feel like you are bothersome and gets testy if you don't immediately understand what they're trying to say (they have broken english or no english at all). When I asked if they could exchange $100 into euros, they said "no, they ran out of change and since it was Saturday and the banks were closed they could not get more money". I asked if they could just exchange out a $20 and they said no. They did not give us any suggestion on how we could exchange dollars for euros on a Saturday. We were left to find the means on our own, (we found an atm down the street).

They were stingy on the amenities. We only had one bar of soap - had to keep moving the bar from the sink to the shower. Sure I could have asked for another, but why should I have to. The beds are akin to sleeping on a padded sheet of plywood.. When I asked if I could borrow a corkscrew to open a bottle of wine I bought, they charged me 4 euro ($6.00). When I explained that I just wanted to borrow it, not buy it, they said that the 4 euro was for the use of it not the purchase of it.

In addition, the hotel's breakfast restaurant was not good. The buffet fruit was tasteless, eggs were steamed over "hard". There was no table service at all, you were on your own.

Considering the high price, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011