“Right on Las Rambles”

Houston, texas, USA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,920 helpful votes
“Right on Las Rambles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

We spent three nights at this hotel, starting on May 24th, in room 206. The positives were as follows: 1) we arrived at about 13:00 and were able to check in immediately; 2) our room, despite fronting on Los Rambles, was very quite and stylish; 3) the hotel has as excellent business center with free internet connections; 4) the location is probably what every tourist is looking for in that the historic district, the waterfront, and the big department stores are all within easy walking distance.

I found the rooms and the gym both to be on the small side for a five star hotel and while the shower, as reported, was nice I would have preferred, and I note their was room for, a tub and shower in the bathroom. My big problem with the hotel was breakfast which I found simply bad. We actually cancelled part of our order the one day we ate in the hotel. As I was not on a plan that included breakfast this was not much of a problem as one can walk 50 yards in any direction and find a cafe where for 6 or 7 euros one can have a wonderful breakfast.

The bed was fine as was the lighting in the room and i have to say once again that I was impressed how quite the room was given that we had windows on Los Rambles. While I am not sure I would stay in this part of town were I to return to Barcelona I would recommend the hotel to anyone going to Barcelona as a tourist who does want to stay in the "old town". I would also recommend Attic right across the street as a place to dine and second the suggestion elsewhere that if one wants to pick up snacks at the Carrfors store just about 40 yards to the north on Los Rambles.

I found the staff helpful and when I question a room service charge they removed it from my bill. Checking out when as quickly as the check in and cabs to the airport were immediately available.

12 Thank jsthouston
GDS07, Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, 29 June 2009
Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your room experience and how amazing it is to hear the silence despite the central location where the hotel is.

We took good notice of your comment about breakfast. Just for information we have just launched our ILLY expresso breakfast for €5.50.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel and should your travels ever bring you to back to Barcelona, we do hope you would consider staying with us again.

Gonzalo Duarte Silva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

The location is five star. The room was small - the bed was comfortable - and bathroom average size. The hotel staff needs to be reminded that their location will not carry them forever. They did as little as possible - and most of the time with an attitude. Offered no information on amenities and had to be quizzed as to locations of business center ...
They did mention their restaurant! Will look for another hotel when visiting Barcelona.

3 Thank Liz130
GDS07, Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, 8 June 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are disappointed that we have not been able to accommodate your needs.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

First off the location of the hotel is amazing, you are literally on top of Las Ramblas and in close vicintiy of everything you would want to see as a tourist. Subway is 5 minutes away and buses, cabs are vereywhere. The hotel is set off on the side so you may miss it if you walk up on Ramblas. It was an easy check-in and the front staff was pleasant. I booked us a suite since it was our anniversary and that had a terrace, our Room 816 was amazing. We counldn't see much of the street (trees) but sitting out there in the morning with a cup of coffee was one of the best ways to start our days. The hotel is very modern (black and red) and comtemporary, they had free internet service on the bottom floor and the fitness center were great add-ons. I ran in the gym a couple of times and no one even walked in so you get lots of privacy. There are really close places to eat so breakfast and lunch are not an issue (room service is way to expensive). There is also a Starbuck around the corner. I did have to ask for extra pillows and an iron (odd requests but really needed). Le Merdiain gives you an email for you to request anything you may need before your arrival, take full advantage of that, I did. I had mentioned to them it was my b-day and anniversay and we had champagne waiting for us, that was a nice touch on the first day. Plus I was pretty adamant about getting a nice room since we payed the full rate.

I would only say about that the staff, although pleasant there wasn't any more than that. The concierge needed more training, he looked frazzled everytime we asked him something, one suggestion turned out amazing, the Cuidad Condal (love the tapas) and he was more surprised then us that we loved it haha. The staff really didn't do more then what they were paid to do and anything over that wasn't extended. It was really a rather cold hospitable enviroment, I wish sometimes they were warner to their guests. I have stayed at other Le Meridians were the staff went well beyond what I expected, if you go you need to know this. You will try to get that side out and you will not see it, it became frustrating but overall I think it was one of the best hotels that I could have chosen for us.

1 Thank abomb526
Dear guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am proud to know you found our staff to be efficient and extremely professional, and that our early check in stood out.

We have taken good note on our associates and I can assure that all our training plans are in place in order to assure that they deliver beyond guest expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel. And we are honored that your have chosen to stay in our hotel for this very special event.

Wake Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Le Meridien this past week for 1 night prior to our cruise of the mediterranean. I booked the hotel using SPG points and was hoping the central location would be helpful in trying to see as much of the city in 24 hours as possible. On the positive side the location was great, the large bathroom and tv' were nice, and the complimentary coffee & free business center were also nice perks. On the down side the rooms are a bit small, the first floor room afforded us little ambient light in our room, the water temperature in the shower would not stay constant, elevators were tiny, there was a long wait for checkout on Sunday morning, and it took 25 minutes to hail a cab shortly after noon on Sunday May 23rd (we got outside and we were 7th in line behind other guests of our hotel for a cab plus we had to compete for cabs with 2 other hotels on the same street). I would recommend staying here if you are looking for a great location. If looking for luxury, I'd shop around.

Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our stay with us.

Yes our location is a must and also our strive to accomplish beyond our guests expectations. We are delighted when this is achieve can make your visits extra special.

Also our special Illy coffee offer is available on our ILLY cafe downstairs at the Lobby.

We have taken good note on your comments on room assignment and taxi service on Sunday evenings.

We are happy to know that you have enjoyed our renovation plan and some of the in room features.

Should your travels ever bring you to back; we do hope you would consider staying with us again.

Sleepy Hollow, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

Le Merdien Barcelona is a nice hotel, conveniently located. The rooms are beautifully done but small. It's location while convenient is on the Rambla which is noisy with a lot going on at all hours of the day and night. Fortunately the entrance to the hotel is off the Rambla and the hotel windows are super insulators of noise (i.e. none can be heard). The hotel staff is friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was pricey but fabulous...can't get much better. We had dinner at the hotel one evening - the tsaing menu was fantastic. The hotel's fitness center had all the equipment that you would expect of a hotel in this price range.

This is a very nice hotel in a beautfiful city - but pricey.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

During your week stay Barcelona was somehow celebrating the Champions League Victory which made the Ramblas even more vibrant.

Thank you for your comments on our Cent Onze restaurant breakfast & dinner. Not only have we tried to offer a good quality product but also within a good value for money.

San Francisco, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel for three nights as a part of our honeymoon trip. Our flight arrived early in the morning around 9 am. We were able to check in at that time. Since it was early, the room given to us was on a smoking floor. We asked the staff if we could swtich room after more rooms are available, we were able to do so with no problem. They were accomodating and the staffs are nice & polite. The location is convenient. A supermarket is steps away, and a traditional market is nearby. It is short walk to a major plaza where all the tourist bus stops. The hotel has 3 course lunch for $15 Euro (including drink), which was pretty decent. On one of the nights, a soccer game ended and people were cheering on the street around 2 am. It was loud and noisy at that time. Otherwise, the hotel is quiet.

Dear Guest

First of all we are much honored that you have selected us for such a special celebration.

We continuously strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations and we are delighted when this is achieve can make your visits extra special. One of our biggest challenges is to deliver a room to every single arrival. My team will be pleased to see that our guests do recognize that effort.

We have been fine tuning our Food & Beverage offer in order to make sure that it also accommodates today's trend. Not only our excellent quality daily menu @ €15.00 it is a breakthrough in five star hotels as also other offers, like the special ILLY breakfast at €5.50 are excellent experiences.

Value for money has been one of our main concerns during the last couple of months.

Best Regards

Mexico City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

I have to type fast as these cheap business hotel that trips to be hip has three expensive plans for Internet access and I took the cheapest one at Euro 6 for 30 minutes. I am in room 139 which faces the interior roof and this window faces the raised sky light that shings sun into the lobby. No sun for me in this hovel. The hotel tries to be hip and modern but really should not try and just do its job.

Staff are nice (concierge, bellman, etc.) but girl at desk had the personality of card board. We arrived Saturday when Las Ramblas was closed due to a football victory celebration and walked blocks with our luggage. I joked about it when she said no one was free to take my bags to my room so I would have to do so.

Lilly coffee in lobby is good but rest of lobby tries to be a lounge type club and that is not what I want or the other guests I see want.

Odd house cleaning tip. They turn on the big flat screen tv in the bedroom at a loud volume and leave it on for your return. The smaller one in the bath is left off but they replace soap gel (no bars here) with more moisturizer so on day 2 I went to the store to buy champagne and soap since all I had was moisturizer. They had those note cards you put on the bed if you want linens changed. I put it on the bed as they felt dirty when I first checked in and the linen was not changed and note card not replaced or left for me for day two. I guess it is to be environmentally friendly but I have to say that the showrer head uses more water than my washing machine at home. They have a hand held jet plus one of those big heads that waste gallons.

I have stated at the Hilton and Arts in this town before. Location is good but there is a lot of competition and for what I am getting I would stay at a cheaper place near here nextt tie.

2 Thank Happy_on_the_road
GDS07, Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for having share your experience with all of us. We will carefully look into your comments and will share with our team in order to make sure that our improvement plans are build around them.

Yes our location is a must and also our strive to acomplish beyond our guests expectations.

Should your travels ever bring you to back , we do hope you would consider staying with us again. To this and please do not hesitate to contact us.