Ramblas Hotel
US$214
US$286
US$245
  • Pool
All reviewspalau guellfantastic locationstreet noisecold meatstop floordouble roomyogurtgothic quarterplaza catalunyaterraceportcathedral
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Let me start by saying that you probably wont get a better hotel for the same price anywhere on La Rambla. The location is perfect and if you can manage to get a room with balcony then that'd be the cherry on the cake. The rooms and the decor is quiet average. Breakfast is good. Staff is courteous. Not a bad stay! Recommended for couples, singles and groups.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony facing La Rambla street
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Siddhi G
Reviewed 25 November 2013

stayed at this hotel for one night before embarking on a cruise.
Was so worried after reading the reviews here that we were ready with a list of alternative hotels if it all went pear shaped!!!!!

we arrived to a lovely cute boutique reception with friendly reception staff. We were told our room was on the 3rd floor. I was dreading the lifts after reading on here...excepting run down rickety old shafts but as we walked past the lovely bar and restaurant to the very well kept modern lifts (ok not huge but sufficent) i was already thinking "what the hell do people write on trip advisor???"

What I was dreading most was the "SMELL"...I have the weakest stomach and struggle at the fish counter of a supermarket ...I could not smell any sewage at this hotel....maybe we got a lucky day.

I had booked a bog standard twin room and was again worried after reading reviews I had pictures in my mind of stinking cell like rooms with no window....but we were greeted to the most lovely room...it was clean...crisp...elegant.

Ok not the ritz style luxury but more than what I expected for the money I paid....plus we had a lovely balcony terrace which looked on the apartments....which i adored as past reviews have described the view as the "the slums" but i thought it was lovely....I could hear a man whistling to himself as he worked, saw a lady sat on her balcony having a coffee...washing hanging out to dry...childrens toys scattered ....I loved the fact I could see real Barcelona life happening in front of me...then you look up and you see the tips of Gaudi buildings....I was very impressed.

The Bathroom was clean and lovely...even had little toothbrush and toothpastes supplied.

Do not have one bad thing to say about this hotel!!!!!!! It was lovely!!!!!!! Would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank eddie23
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Very good location of the hotel.
The main reason I say I probably wouldn't stay again is due to the very bad sewage smell that is present pretty much all the time, It seems that it was not only in our room on the backside on the 5th floor.
Breakfast was good for a 3* hotel. Personnel was very friendly and their English was good (coming from Belgium...).
We hired a safe. We haven't eaten in the restaurant nor drunk in the bar.
Rooms are not isolated at all : you can hear your neighbour very well in the shower or on the toilet !
Poor TV channels...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The main reason I say I probably wouldn't stay again is due to the very bad sewage smell that is present pretty much all the time, but seems to be worse at night. It also seems to come from the A/C vents as well. You would smell the same odor if you were outside standing near a drainage grate in the street. I smelled this same type of smell staying at a hostel in Rome, which was also an older building, and in public bathrooms around Rome and Barcelona. So it seems to be an issue with updating plumbing.
Beds are definitely hard. Was so tired from all the running around all day that it sort of didn't matter, but they were definitely hard.
Overall, most of the staff was friendly. Not being from Spain or having great Spanish speaking skills, I felt that they did what they could. We did not eat or drink anything at the hotel, so I cannot speak for any of the wait staff. The rooms were cleaned every day, and any questions asked of the front desk were helpfully answered. Never used the safe. Did not leave any valuables in the room at all.
Elevator (lift) is definitely small, but that's expected. There is a room on the 1st floor (or 2nd, can't remember) that allows you to store luggage in a locked bin, which was nice since we arrived about 6 hours ahead of the check-in time.
Had a room on the 7th floor, and it faced the back of the hotel. I'm sure that a room facing the front (Ramblas) would be very noisy at night indeed. The room itself was fairly spacious, which was nice. Nothing additional such as a fridge or anything that I can recall. Bathroom had a bidet which I did not notice and to me meant (again) that renovations haven't happened for quite some time. I do not see bidet's in more recently updated hotel bathrooms as they take up additional space. There was a tub, which was nice just to fill a little and soak tired feet.
Stayed in a different hotel, very nearby, after leaving Barcelona for a week to go to Paris. Those arrangements were made before having left the US for the trip at all. Stayed at Chic and Basic a few blocks away, which is more money, but was a nice stay. If you want cheaper (not cheap, but cheaper) then Ramblas is cheaper. Chic and Basic is def nice, updated/newer hotel, and is def more money.
Nice spot for breakfast was about 2 doors down to the left. Small spot with 5 euro brekkie on average for a breakfast sandwich of some sort and a coffee or beer.
Went to the flamenco spot directly next door to the left. If you want to book through the hotel they need cash to give the cash to the flamenco place, per their explanation as to why you can't pay for flamenco via the hotel on a card. Went to the first show at 6:45pm for 30 euro a person, which includes a drink. Some people nearby did not get their drink. Make sure you raise your hand and get your drink! :-) They "open doors" for the flamenco 10 min prior to the start of the show, but you meet on the sidewalk and they call your name to enter and go upstairs. You sit where they tell you to sit. You can pay more to go later, and you can opt for dinner and a show, things like that.
If you want beach chairs on the beach then start using one and someone will come along and tell you to pay. from what i heard it's about 5 euro per chair. they also have umbrellas, but i'm not sure how much they are.
the place on the beach, Las Vegas, is pricey, which is expected, but they are inconsistent and rude. Had a sangria for 7.50 one day, decent sized glass, rude staff. was desperate for a drink on the beach a week later, went again, much smaller glass of sangria for the same price, same rude staff. would not return. you can buy drinks from the market and snacks etc (canned things) and eat and drink them on the beach for less than 5 euro for 2 people. no need to pay all the money, get ripped off, and deal with rude staff, for all that money.
bathrooms are gross, and they're pretty much at the end of the beach nearest the barceloneta metro/closes to Ramblas itself. nice walk ahead though. most dining that has patio dining charges more for patio dining than indoor dining. usually at least 10% more off the top, maybe even higher menu prices to start with.
careful of pickpockets on the metro. avoid groups of any sort while out. dont stop and watch things with groups of people. dont take things that some random person hands you. they will demand money and get angry/aggressive.
one last note - monjuic. very confusing up there. the big museum is best accessed from the closest metro stop. not walkable from the park from the funicular. the maps are poor and misleading. not worth it. hours are not necessarily correct in printed items.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back which does not face Ramblas due to the noise. Keep in mind that to turn the power on in the room (including the A/C) you have to put the room key in the slot next to the door. Also true for the other hotel I stayed in on Ramblas. Seems to be a typical Spain thing? Never seen this in the 30+ countries I've been to so far.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rachel O
Reviewed 22 October 2013

You feel as if there's a scam going on in is hotel, money was stolen from one friends room and earrings from another, you have to pay per night to use the safe, key cards for 4 different rooms were just given out by the night porter at 3am, no id asked for!!
If you buy a drink from the bar you are not allowed to drink it in their seating area on The Ramblas (shown in photo) they charge you a lot more for that pleasure.
If this hotel was situated anywhere else it would not last a season the staff are so unhelpful and RUDE!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends