“Good location....good value”

Ranked #265 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Hampshire
“Good location....good value”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We visited Barcelona for the first time during the Easter Holidays and I was a little anxious following some of the reviews.

We visited as a family and took two double rooms on the fifth floor.Overall, I would summarise by saying that the hotel was perfectly fine and some of the extremely negative reviews slightly overdid some of the negatives.

Positives:

Location - a 10 minute walk to Las Ramblas and the marina (the walk is reasonable, but I would say that at times, and certainly late at night, a taxi may be more appropriate as the area can be a little intimidating at times)

Value - The hallways and general surrounding within the hotel was nice, and I found the hallways particularly well decorated. The rooms were comfortable and the shower was fine. The TV was a modern set with a good picture. One tip is that a number of the foreign channels are multiple language, so you can select the english version or the spanish sound, which increased the number of english channels to c.8 and a reasonable selection of US comedy and film channels. There is a button that you press on the remote, but the instructions do not make this clear!

Breakfast - It is worth getting a deal with breakfast included. If not, it is about Euro9 per person for breakfast, but children under 11 eat for free with paying parents. The breakfast was a reasonable choice of cooked and parties etc and the staff friendly and attentive.

Room cleaning - the cleaner was very hardworking, efficient and friendly. She made a real difference and she should be commended by the hotel on her pride in her work.

Improvement Points:

A few people commented about the noise and certainly on the Sat night, event on the 5th floor, the noise at c.2-3am was very loud in the street as local clubs emptied out. The other nights were a lot better. Not much the hotel can do about this really.

The bar area for an informal drink is in the reception and it was not a very comfortable or nice place for an evening drink. Surprisingly, the hotel has a nice bar on the 1st floor, which looks comfortable and well decorated, but they seemed to only use this for conferences, rather than guests. I think they are missing a trick here.

We did not do this, but I noticed some guests ordering a dial a pizza and getting it delivered to the rooms and the hotel seemed fine with this.

The hotel is right near a tube station and during the night, it seems to be a magnet for drunks and slightly odd members of the community. Unless you plan to be roaming the streets at 3am, this should not be an issue, but worth keeping in mind. Taxi rank is right outside and for a family, we found taxis were cheaper than the metro.

Slightly unusually, we were leaving at 4am the next day and reception would not allow me to settle the bill the night before we left (something to do with a tax that is applied at midnight). This meant an extra 10 minute hassle first thing, that would have been nice to avoid.

Wifi - not great in terms of speed (not sufficient for movie streaming etc) and you need a different code each day, but included in the price, which was fine.

In summary

It is a reasonably priced hotel in a good location. We enjoyed our time there and felt comfortable in the hotel generally. I would probably not stay there again, but only for the reason that I spotted some very nice, much more expensive hotels that I really liked the look of and would probably go to Barcelona for a shorter period in the future and go up the luxury curve, but as a family base for a 4-5 day holiday the hotel was perfectly fine. We almost changed our booking based on some of the reviews, but I am pleased that we did not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high in the hotel and facing the back of the hotel
4 Thank neo007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here recently with a friend and it was great. The location is brilliant, just a short walk to La Ramblas and really near to bars and shops, great for picking up plenty of bottled water! The staff were very helpful and answered lots of questions regarding where and how to get to places of interest. I got up one morning and found our toilet not working, on our way to breakfast I reported it and we went out.. When we returned later that afternoon it was all fixed. The hotel itself is really nice and our room was clean and my bed was very comfy! The breakfasts here are fantastic, you are spoilt for choice. We sat out and ate on the terrace most mornings which was lovely. The free wi-fi can be a bit of a pain as you have to enter a code every 24hrs and they don't always work, as mine didn't. Much to the amusement of the reception staff, who I bothered daily and they graciously and with humour helped me out! If I ever return to Barcelona I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room over the nightclub (nothing a good pair of earplugs won't sort) But it would bothe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Walpole, NH
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel as part of a group tour therefore it wasn't my choice and it wouldn't have been under other circumstances. After being in Barcelona I think there are better locations that offer advantages over the Tryp Apolo. But I was here and if you are looking to stay here this is what I thought of the hotel..... The front desk gets really jammed at certain times and it's difficult to get any service. When the front desk isn't busy they disappear behind a partition and even though you can hear them you have to somehow get their attention to help you. I was on the sixth floor and though obstructed I had a sliver of a view of the Mediterranean. The elevators are comically small, but it didn't take too long for an elevator to arrive when summoned. The bed was a "king" which was really two twins pushed together, the sheets were adequate. The staff I interacted with was friendly- particularly the bellman who greeted us upon arrival and seemed genuinely glad to be there. Breakfast buffet was a generous assortment of your typical European style breakfast buffet. The public spaces on the first floor are pretty uninspired. The carpeting in the hallways looks tired. The room was clean, the room layout was nothing special, but adequate. As I wandered around Barcelona I noticed a number of boutique style hotels that in my mind would have been better places to stay as a tourist. I'm certain the only advantage would have been location which would be enough to tip the balance to search out another hotel if I had been given a choice. If you plan on taking the Metro around the city there is a metro stop located right next to the hotel, so convenient on that stand.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PepperWat
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here last November and returned home after our second stay yesterday. This hotel is in a great location for sight seeing all the land marks in Barcelona city! Whilst there we went and watched a match at Nou Camp Stadium, visited Gaudi buildings, gothic quarter, beach, aquarium- all in easy reach. We consider the hotel is very reasonably priced and a good standard of service including food and rooms- the price for a stay here is very reasonable and the standard overall is good.
The only down side was that this time we stayed we were in a 1st floor room facing onto the main street and this meant that we were woken by some noise when the nearby clubs closed in the early hrs of morning. We did not notice this was a problem when we stayed last time but think this is because our room was on the 3rd floor so noise was not heard.

We will definitely stay again when we next visit but would ask for a room rear facing.

A great location to explore the city and very reasonably priced!

1 Thank Anita D
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Anita D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the world!
Please do not hesitate to let us know before your next stay with us, we will definitely do our best to assign you a room in the area you prefer!

Barcelona
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Found this hotel via Travelocity. Couldn't fault the location, great for seeing getting about easily. Staff very helpful and room comfortable. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Emily S,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona during Easter! Nothing makes us happier than knowing we have contributed to make your Trip pleasant.
Please, be back soon! We are looking forward to see you again!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Tryp Apolo for three nights over the Easter holidays. Here's my plus points to the hotel.
Firstly, the location is brilliant! Parallel Metro station is just outside the hotel, with direct connections to many of the main tourist attractions. Very handy when you have blistered feet from walking all day, plus getting back from the Nou Camp on a busy match day! Also, the hotel is a 5 -10 minute stroll to Las Ramblas and the port area, so it's a good spot to easily reach those areas.
Secondly, the breakfasts are great! Cooked breakfasts, breads, meats, cereals, pastries, buns, fresh fruit - something for everyone! Just perfect for setting you up for the long day ahead.
Finally, the room we had was a decent size, the bed was fairly comfy, it was cleaned daily, and as requested, was to the rear of the hotel, so we didn't hear a peep all night, which was a big bonus to say the hotel is on one of the busiest roads in the centre.
The only (small) negative was the room (and probably the hotel overall) could have done with a bit of a spruce up, but not a major concern, as we weren't in Barcelona to see a hotel room!
Overall, a good base in a great location, with free Wi Fi added in, and a small charge to use printing facilities in the Business Centre - very handy for printing out those late booked excursions!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Rebelmc74
Dear Rebelmc74,

Great to know your stay has been pleasant!
Location, breakfast, comfort…and time to visit our beloved Barcelona!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I'm fed readIng the negative reviews. Just back from 4 night trip/ stay in the hotel. Very good location - ok so there is the odd strip bar and maybe a homeless person, although we didn't see any,nearby but it's not in your face. This is a major European City and tell me one that doesn't have similar drawbacks. Never felt unsafe in this part of town at all. Yes it is a busy street and undoubtedly you need to be in a room facing the courtyard but rooms were clean, towels changed every day and breakfast was absolutely fine in a very bright dining room. Those who leave negative reviews need to realise you get what you pay for. As for check in/ check out - absolutely no problems and we found the staff to be very helpful. People need to stop being so negative just for the sake of it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Graham W
Dear Graham W,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
We appreciate your kind words in regards to cleanliness, service and location…but at the same time our goal is to create 5 star experiences! We will definitely keep on working so that your next stay you can enjoy a TRYP great one.