“Good Hotel, Good Location, Good Value”

Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel
Ranked #266 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
worldwide
“Good Hotel, Good Location, Good Value”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We got the family connecting room and there was a lot of space, a nice variety and breakfast and very close to the tube station and la ramblas. Only downside is that it was strangely difficult to find at night... took us two hours! Although we were slightly intoxicated so that may be our fault.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear loves_travelling95,

Nothing makes us happier than knowing you and your family spent a great time with us.
We are conscious that in a family trip you need comfort and effectiveness…and that is exactly what we want to provide you so that you can enjoy as much as possible!
Can’t wait to receive you back in your TRYP in Barcelona!

E-Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prince Edward Island
Reviewed 14 June 2014

If you happen to be on a Mediterranean cruise starting or ending at Barcelona, plan on a couple of nights at this hotel. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and after a ship's cabin, huge. The staff is very helpful, elevators are generous in size by European standards, many rooms have balconies giving you a lovely view of what is really a beautiful and unique city. One quibble might be the breakfast facility. Get there early. It's huge, but then so is the crowd. Hard to believe there are so many people staying at what doesn't at first appear to be a huge hotel. There are only four floors, but what you realize later is that the building takes up most of a city block. You can eventually find yourself plenty to eat at the many steam tables and juice and coffee areas, but it really is a confusing experience, with extremely busy staff who appear to be missing a few people in the lineup. Still, a good hotel, in an area with lots to see and do, and you do need at least a couple of days to appreciate Barcelona.

Room Tip: Rooms looking inward to the centre of the hotel are quieter, but then you miss the balconies and vie...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank M-BViano
Dear M-BViano,

It is great to know you spent a great time with us here in Barcelona!
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers; now you know where is your home in Barcelona and we will work hard so that you can enjoy an even greater time in the city for your next visit!

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I've just come back from two nights stay, on my own, and I've tried to factor in everything. I've given three stars, rather than four, because of a number of factors. Just for reference, I did not have breakfast - or any meal - at the hotel, so I can't comment on their food service.

- Location
The location of the hotel is good, for the most part. There is literally a one minute walk north to get to the Paral-lel metro station, and about a five minute walk south to get to the harbour area, which also has convenient access to the La Rambla area, which is lovely. After you see the pretty, well kept areas of Barcelona and come back to the hotel, it leaves much to be desired. Something I noticed whilst walking further in the Paral-lel area (which is where the hotel is situated) is that there is a smell of sewage in all the streets around the hotel. Coupled with the lack of quality premises nearby, and construction work, it was a disappointing location for me.

- Exterior
The exterior of the hotel was nice - very grand looking, with gold finishes and revolving doors. There is a door man there some of the time, who was lovely. The lobby area is nice looking, but could be a little better in terms of layout.

- Reception
The reception is hard to describe. The non-reception staff of the hotel were all very friendly. The staff at reception are not unfriendly, but seemed a little bored. I didn't have a problem with check-in time, as some of the over reviewers have had, but I came quite late into the day where there was no queue. I did come down to the hotel in mid-afternoon one day and there was a large queue. I can say, however, that the reception staff do take their time in processing check-ins or check-outs. Something to bear in mind is that check in is from 3PM, not 1/2PM like most hotels. Check-out is 12 noon.

- Room
I had a double room, and overall it was very good. Clean bed, relatively spacious, clean mirrors. The bathroom was quite small, and the shower was difficult to operate, but this did not detract from the overall experience. The housekeeping service was great, very clean and thorough. They come round between about 9am - 1pm (local time), depending where you are. They seem to do the far ends of corridors first, working their way towards the lift area, so if you plan on sleeping in then factor this in!

I've given the hotel three stars, rather than four, because there were a few miscellaneous annoyances, which I list below:

- The only way to traverse the floors of the hotel is via the lifts. There is no 'main' staircase, except four emergency exits, which you can walk down but not up as the doors only open one way. The lifts are also quite narrow - it would be very difficult to fit in more than three people with hand luggage. Luckily there is four lifts.

- The whole hotel had this strange perfume-y scent, which I assume came from shake-and-vac. I didn't like the smell, it was quite cloying, but that's just me!

- The TV, although I didn't use it much at all, doesn't have any English channels, so if you want a lazy evening you're better off streaming something from a device.

- The hotel WiFi was really disappointing. I did not experience router connection issues, per se, but the internet connection itself was unreliable in my room, and very slow. If I sat in the lobby, it worked fine, but wasn't too fast - 30-60kb/sec. The average UK broadband is about 10x that. I did a ping test on the network and it worked out as 5500m/s. Average in UK is 50ms, bear this in mind! I asked one of the reception staff if there was connection issues and he coldly dismissed my concerns, saying that it was working perfectly... even though it was not! My device worked fine on the plane WiFi, and at the airport, so I can only deduce that it was an issue with the hotel.

Overall, my experience was fine but it could've been a bit better. The swing-out ledge of my window broke one day... I told reception about it and by the time I got back a few hours later, it had already been fixed, so I was delighted with that. The other guests at the hotel seemed to be happy, and the bar looks nice. I came to the hotel via train from the airport, then metro, changing at Passeig de Gracia.

Some people have suggested that this hotel is more of a 3-star rather than 4-star. I would agree. It's more a 3.5-star maximum.

Room Tip: Choose a non-smoking, rear facing room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Defiant-26
Dear Defiant-26,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments after your stay with us!
While we are happy to know your stay has been generally positive, we are sorry that this time we did not get to the 5 star experience you deserve.
We would like to let you know that, although check in is from 15:00h, we are more than pleased to check in our guests from early in the morning as soon as we are able to do so, always according to availability.
We really take note of each one of your comments and we appreciate how detailed your review is, that is really useful for us!
Please be back anytime, we will be more than happy to welcome you again at the Hotel TRYP Apolo!

Tarragona, Spain
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an overnighter with a girlfriend. Fantastic location right next to a metro station and still a 5 min walk to las rambles.
Friendly helpful staff.
Good sized rooms, clean.
Comfortable bed and pillows. Didn't have the breakfast but the 7.30am wake up coffee was lovely!
Will recommend and return.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank holkim
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear holkim,

There is not a best way to start the day than reading your awesome review! Thank you for sharing your experience with the world and…can’t wait to receive you back to your home in Barcelona!

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had just one night here before the start of a week's cruise. We arrived too early to check in but the helpful and friendly staff took our bags to a store room which allowed us to explore the city for the morning. The hotel was very clean and bright and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. The room was spacious and clean and we chose one towards the back of the hotel as we were told this would be quieter (the front faces onto the main road and there is a nightclub next door). As in many hotels (and ships) the king size bed is made up of two single beds pushed together. We heard a couple complaining about this so if you don't like this arrangement you may have to ask if they have a proper double bed. Breakfast was great - a good selection of bread, cereals and fruit and there is an option to sit outside in the warmer weather. The hotel is perfectly located near to the port and you can either grab a taxi outside the door of the hotel or walk a short way and take the T3 bus. We had a day in the city at the end of our cruise and the manager even allowed us to store our bags there again before returning to the airport!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter. If you want a proper double bed you need to ask.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen M
Dear Karen M,

Great to know you have stayed with us before your cruise! It is a real pleasure for us to be a part of your trip and your comments just encourage us to become better and better…FOR YOU!
We hope we have the pleasure to receive you back soon!

Barcelona
Reviewed 4 June 2014

What a fantastic hotel. Perfectly situated for exploring the city. We checked in at 1am with no problem. Staff were very helpful and the rooms were very good.

The breakfast buffet was incredible, there was something for everyone.

Our only negative comments are that instead of a double bed we had 2 singles pushed together that had no fixings and the rooms were not hoovered regularly.

But over all a FABULOUS hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Mark B,

…and… FABULOUS is your review!!! We completely agree with you! Location is basic in order to explore the city…and Barcelona is really worth to explore!
Please, rest assured your comments in regards to the vacuum, have already been transmitted to our Team. Vacuuming is a daily standard in our Hotel and we will just make sure that all the procedures are being followed as usual!

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Recently returning from a 4 night stay I write this review to share my experience while it's fresh after a good nights sleep...at last!
On arriving at the airport we caught the aerobus to Catalunya, last stop on the route, 10 euro return. Dropped off at the top of La Rambla we used our navigational skills to find the hotel. (Head straight down the Rambla to the port and the road is second on the right.) A main road...here is where it starts.
The hotel is located on a corner, later found to be above a carpark, casino, pub and much more!
On entering the hotel the appearance was dated. We were seen to after a wait and booked in. Sales for 'V.I.P' suites were attempted but was brushed off as our standard room was all we felt we'd require.
Leaving our bags as our room was not ready, as stated on the booking confirmation, we visited the communal ladies before getting back on the streets of Barcelona. They stunk! Not recommended.
Spending the afternoon in La Ramblas area and further a field we headed back to the hotel. I disagree that the location is good. If you aim to travel by taxis / metro, fair enough as they are right outside, however we walked. Walking we cut through side streets for short cuts, they were grim; beggars everywhere, smelly and dark. The main roads are clearly the better option but this would of taken a lot more time and to be honest although not appealing I didn't feel particularly threatened.
We returned to the hotel later that evening and went to our room. We were given room 112. (Floor above the reception.) The carpets throughout the hotel were thread bare, furniture in the room old and the bathroom was held together with sealant.
Our first night of 'sleep' was one of four that was horrendous. Insomniacs would probably appreciate the noise and goings on- I like a good sleep especially when walking miles for my sight seeing holiday. All night there was shouting, from the street and at times in the hotel, water - other guests flushing the loos / having showers and slamming doors / opening and closing their wardrobes. It was relentless.
Morning eventually did arrive after the longest nights...breakfast time. One of the main positive features on this hotel's reviews. Finding fault everywhere else I'd have to agree but it really is the best from a bad situation. Breakfast consisted of streaker, than streaky bacon, hot dog type sausages, (this possibly is my personal perception and Spain as a wholes down fall,) and beans, continental meats and fruit. Daily cakes and pastries were available which was the only main bonus though not what I wanted for breaky. The waitresses worked hard-tea and coffee, if you are lucky, is brought to your table. Out of the 4 times I had to get mine 3!
On checking out the member of staff was clearly just doing his job, I mentioned the noise which he actually looked shocked about but then quickly changed the subject and announced that a further 10 euro needed to be paid for city tax!
All in all, I would not recommend. I like most, like a good deal but have learnt that these tend to not always be the case. I wished I'd spent a bit more and listened to the reviews of others.

Barcelona was a place on my trip wish list, I can say I have done it and will now say I will not go back, unless boarding a cruise liner!
It is a city and like most has it's down falls. We struggled to find anywhere to eat as places were grotty near the hotel and a couple of bad experiences were had. Best place for good food is the other side of the marina.
I feel it is very run down and the sewers smell awful as do the side streets which smell of urine. Beggars pester for money constantly and seem to be allowed in eateries to ask!

Do ensure you keep your belongs safe, there is plenty of opportunities for wrong doing. Be vigilant at all times.

Tour buses are a great way to get around further a field though we did come across most on foot, but we did walk around 15 miles a day.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank JLS981
Dear JODIE LEA S,

First of all we would like to apologize since the service you receive was below the standards you expected.
We are so sorry after reading that you did not enjoy neither our Hotel TRYP Apolo nor our beloved city, Barcelona, and that you don’t agree with most of travelers.
Your words really encourage us to keep on working and growing to improve and get to offer the best of the experiences, since this is one of our main goals.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for anything you may need, we remain at your entire disposal.

Kind regards,