“Orwell forever!”

Spanish Civil War Tour
Ranked #7 of 573 Tours in Barcelona
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After two nights of very little sleep because of a music festival we were attending in Barcelona it was a bit of a horror to get up at 9.00 to meet Nick at café Zurich, but I didn't regret it for a minute. The group was apparently a bit bigger than usually (about 14 people) but within 5 minutes Nick had everybody's full attention and this lasted for over 3 hours. Allthough I had some knowledge about the Spanish Civil War because of reading George Orwell's Hommage to Catalunya, a book Nick uses for this tour as well, there were plenty of things I didn't know, and because of the special places that Nick took us to, it got very vivid. Nick is a brilliant and eloquent storyteller, shows a lot of fascinating material from the period and after years of doing this he has a good story to tell, for people who are much into this topic as well as for people who might have just some leftover school knowledge about it. Highly recommended for anybody who is really interested in Barcelona, also because of the many links to contemporary politics and every day live in Spain/Catalunya..

There are newer reviews for Spanish Civil War Tour

Reviewed 3 June 2014

As a professional historian with a special interest in the Spanish Civil War I went on Nick's tour end of May. Nick really knows a lot about his subject. He knows all kinds of details but he always places them in a bigger analysis. Because of Nick you can almost feel and smell the Spanish Civil War. A great way to discover Barcelona.

Als een professioneel historicus met een grote expertise op het vlak van de Spaanse Burgeroorlog nam ik deel aan Nick's tour eind mei 2014. Nick weet echt heel veel maar plaatst de details altijd in een grotere context. Door Nick kun je de Spaanse Burgeroorlog bijna voelen en ruiken. Een mooie manier om Barcelona te ontdekken

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I really enjoyed the tour and got a huge amount from it. Nick is an excellent guide. As a walking-tour guide myself, I know what a challenge it can be to keep a diverse group engaged - particularly in the rain - and he made an excellent job of it. As well as all the info Nick gave us it was really interesting to meet other people in the group who were from a wide range of differant countries, and to chat to them about their own perspective on the War. Nick really made everyone in the group feel welcome, and made a great effort to give information about the involvement of people from their own countries in the War. When I signed up I was a bit worried that three hours would be far too long but actually the time flew by and the final stop in an Anarchist cafe for delicious coffee and more chat was much appreciated.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Two of us from Ireland went on this tour. We did many great things in the wonderful city of Barcelona but this was by far our favourite. Nick's stories were compelling, accessible, comprehensive and often quite funny. His passion for this period in history was contagious. The tour moved at a decent pace and Nick was attentive to everyone there, trying to ensure we heard him and saw all of the pictures. I genuinely cannot recommend this enough.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Five of us from England and Ireland went on this tour during May, having found out about it through a review. It was the highlight of our weekend in Barcelona (and it had to compete with Joan Miro!). Nick's thorough research and engaging manner brought the events in Barcelona to life vividly. Most of already knew a bit about the civil war, but to be on the site where Orwell, the POUM, CNT and CP were organising against the fascist uprising and later falling out, was to relive history in an accessible and lively way. I strongly recommend it to others. Thanks, Nick.