“Worst hotel ever”

Ranked #449 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Edmonton, Canada
“Worst hotel ever”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have stayed at hotels all over Europe, anywhere between 1 and 4 stars. This hotel is, without a doubt, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. First of all, I have never come across such rude management. The man at the front desk who told us he was a manager literally shouted at us when we discretely tried to tell him about the many bugs we had found in our room. Then he told us "he didn't understand the problem." So we went to the tourist office to ask the woman who we had booked the hotel through to help us with our issue (bugs all over our room) and when she called this so called manager he proceeded to yell at her too! Later on, we also had the house keeping manager rudely shout at us about how she didn't see the problem. We were literally scared to enter the hotel because we thought someone was going to start shouting at us at any moment.
So more on these bugs, I've never encountered a bed bug before but after staying in this hotel I had dozens of bites all over my body. I have pictures of what they looked like and I can only assume based on the research I have done on google and after showing the pictures we took of them to a few people who are much more familiar with bugs than me that that's what they were. Both of my arms were nearly completely covered in itchy bites. By covered I mean there was 40+ on each arm. For two weeks after staying here I had to constantly take antihistamines and use lotions on my skin to reduce the itching. Needless to say, this took a real negative toll on my European vacation.
After the terrible treatment we received by management and the horrible itching caused by the bugs at this hotel (which they yelled at us about) I tried to contact the hotel chain, Gargallo Group, to tell them about our negative stay and to request some sort of compensation. I have sent them three e-mails and they have not so much as bothered to send a reply. Therefore, not only do I highly recommend you stay as far as possible away from this hotel, but from the entire chain in general. They clearly do not train their management properly or care about their guests.

Room Tip: Our room was incredibly loud and I assume all rooms would be because it is a relatively busy area an...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hannah T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Laguna Niguel
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were only in Barcelona for one night and I wanted a good rate in the Gothic Quarter. I came prepared with earplugs for the noise. I guess we lucked out and hand a room not on the street. Best night sleep in 12 nights as the bed was a great improvement over the horrific Disney Cruise bed. Even though we were adjacent to the elevator, no noise at all. Clean comfortable room in a great location and a very fair price.

But the only thing I want to add for future travelers is that the staff was clueless in regard to the shuttle to the airport. I had not looked that up prior to going and my memory had faded from my last trip to Barcelona. The shuttle should be a selling point for this hotel but for some reason they offered no guidance. For those that don't know, the shuttle costs 5.9 Euros and leaves every 10 minutes from Catalonia Square or whatever it is. It is a totally easy walk from this hotel letting you take one last stroll past the old Cathedral, through the old Roman gate and then a few yards to the shuttle letting you say your goodbyes to the city with a final walk thinking "oh how I did not get enough of the sipping chocolate."

Room Tip: I guess away from the street side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Me with my family and other friends stayed there from 12th May to 14th May 2014. Nice location. Rooms were neat and clean. But they charged me approx 40 euros extra (I paid 910 euros instead of 864 euros) which was totally unacceptable. The reason they explained that it was for city tax which was not written in my booking confirmation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Monirul I
swf73
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Can only agree with previous comments. Hotel is located in very noisy area and traffic continues throughout the night making sleep impossible for most of the time.
The hotel is perhaps of 2* standard at best. There is a bar but, we were told by reception staff it never opens and it certainly didn't during our stay.
Rooms are very basic and definately not 4*.standard.
The hotel staff are both unhelpful and unfriendly as others have stated.
There are many hotels in the Las Ramblas area and this one is poor in comparison to all others we saw there. It needs new staff who are committed to customer service, double glazing in rooms and facilities like a bar should be open not just left in darkness unused. This hotel could not be reccomended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank swf73

Travellers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Barcino is in a great location, but the noise from the street was unbearable through the night even with plenty of wine and ear plugs!!!!!!!!!!! We were on the first floor because of the noise could not have the window open and the air con is not turned on until May.!!!!!!!
The reception staff was not welcoming or friendly.
On the plus side the hotel was very clean our room was good so was the breakfast depending how fresh the bread was(the only friendly member of staff was found here)
The location makes up for most of the down-side if staying again would as for a back room and go in May when the air con is on.
Such a shame about the staff!!!!!!!

Room Tip: choose a back room away from the road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lyn534
Oldtown, Idaho
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This was rated as a 4 star hotel. The room we had was above a very noisy street and it wouldn't have been so bad but the air conditioner wasn't working so we had to leave the window open. They collect trash 2 times a night starting at 11pm. There was no sleep for 3 nights. The staff was not very friendly either for help with directions etc. no way is this a 4 star.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelistachic
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The location of this hotel is amazing, but that is about it. Oh, the marble floors and pillars are pretty nice as well.

The common areas of the hotel is very bad lit. Corridors and stairwells would go dark as you were in the middle of them, which felt a little unsafe and simply wrong.

As for the rooms, the air condition was malfunctioning in our first room and in our second room (we got to change room due to ants and an excessive amount of broken power sockets). The walls seemed to be made of cardboard; you could here every sound on the street directly in to your room. The cleanliness was impeccable though, as well as the bathrooms and the beds. If you don't care about street sounds and just want a place to sleep, this is a good hotel.

We ordered, and payed extra for, breakfast at the hotel. This was a very bad idea since the main component in the breakfast was dried up bread and greasy sausages. There are a lot of small cafés in the gothic area where you could get a better breakfast.

The part that really got me, and what will make me think twice before ever visiting Barcelona again, was the staff: if you are not willing to help the costumer, you should not work at a hotel.
All through the week there had been some minor mistakes made by the staff, which one by one (like getting the wrong information or no information or to have to ask for everything twice) only was annoying, but when we summed it up, it was more than we felt that we should accept.
The worst part was someone went into my room, broke open my bag and searched it. Nothing was stolen, but the bag is now useless and, sadly, it makes me distrust hotel employees. Instead of helping a costumer that has beens exposed to an offence, the staff sent me away to the nearest police station as they wouldn't do anything without the police report. When I finally got that, they still refused to help me as "the insurance company will contact you some time next week".
My experience with insurance companies is that they don't come to you to give you money, especially if you're not the client (but this is a spanish insurance company, maybe they'll work in some other way).
Even though this may or may be the standard way of handling something like this, the staffs reaction and way to handle the situation was really ignorant.

TLDR;

Great location, good bed, bad breakfast, worse staff.

Room Tip: The rooms on the fifth floor doesn't have a balcony but are quieter than the ones on the lower f...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple