“Good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

U232 is in a residential area of Barcelona. There are good cafes nearby for lunch and breakfast & I don't think breakfast is of good value in U232 (14 euros per person).
Hotel rooms were good, bathrooms were very nice. No tea & coffee making facility and there is no provision of kettle, etc.
Reception staff was brilliant. Hotel is well connected with public transport therefore you can go out late in the night.
Would stay again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

Booked this based upon TripAdvisor Reviews, and must say, was quite disappointed. Let's start with the good stuff: staff are very helpful and pleasant; the place is impeccably clean; aircon works perfectly. The not so good stuff: the rooms are tiny (you could not swing a cat in them) and our rooms (206 and 306) had no views whatsoever. The bathrooms are incredibly small. The rooms we had were next to the lifts, and were very noisy. The location is not as good as many make out: it is 20 minutes' walk to the centre, or a tube journey that involes changes. Best to take a taxi when leaving this place. Breakfast was average but on the positive side, served,in a clean room and by very polite staff. Stay here if you can handle shoe box rooms, and if you are on a budget. If not, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LondonDiner2012
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

My title says it all. It is a cool little hotel with nice rooms and wifi, i'd spring for the u232 rooms. The front desk guys were money and always had the solid dinner recommendations in the neighborhood. As everyone said it is a four minute stroll to the subway stop (Hospital Clinic is its name), but it is on the blue line, so you will have to change trains to get to/from the Ramblas, Beach, El Born, Park Guell or the Train Station that goes out to Monserrat. It is the right line to the airport train and Sagrada Familia though. I'd stay here again unless I could find a comperable price closer. That's my take! You could do a lot worse.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Kildare, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend on our recent trip to Barcelona. I picked the hotel based on the previous reviews of the place and I was disappointed. My initial impression was very good. The hotel is lovely and the staff were friendly and helpful. I had specifically requested a quiet room and the first night there was fine. The second morning we were there we were woken up by workers in the hotel. There was building work going on which started very early. I was not happy about this at all considering we had requested a quiet room. On top of that when we returned back to the hotel room that evening we discovered that the glasses in the room had not been cleaned or replaced, nor had some of the toiletries in the bathroom, the mini bar had not been restocked either. I made the reception staff aware of the faults with the cleanliness of the room and this was rectified, however nothing was done about the noise! We were offered an alternative room on the night before we checked out. Overall, the hotel was pleasant but considering the price we paid, I was disappointed. Good location though!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShellVic
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

We stayed for few nights. Before arriving to Barcelona we visited Malaga and Valencia. We were tired from all this traveling and I did not have any expectations for this hotel. The minute we walked in I was smiling. There was something special about it. Very cozy and clean. Room was very , very cozy and I had a great sleep in there. We did not enjoy Barcelona itself but thanks to this hotel i at least could relax. Really enjoyed staying in the hotel. Staff was excellent. And having a cold beer in the lobby was even special. Like I said previously there is something about this hotel.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

After deciding at the last minute to go to Barcelona on business, I was slightly concerned about the accommodations I'd be able to secure with such a large conference and exposition coming to town. What a joy to have u232 Hotel as a home base.

I arrived at about 11:30am on Thursday, and being greeted by the multilingual staff was comforting. They had my reservation (through booking.com) and an available room for me. I booked a single and expected an extremely small but well-appointed room.
It turns out the "L"-shaped entry/foyer was about as large as I thought the room would be...but then there was an actual room as well, with a small balcony, two beds, ceiling beams, dark marble bathroom....sigh. I was almost tempted to take a nap but decided to run around and get to know the city.

U232 is two blocks from the Metro. As many had mentioned here, the hotel is not in the center of it all, but it is close enough and the Metro runs a very admirable schedule, very efficient. I could go on and on about the Metro, but that is for another forum.
More about the hotel...the decor is very masculine and warm, with dark woods, striped and leather couches, bold, simple and large images on the walls. Impeccably clean. . Even the shampoo smelled masculine, which was a nice diversion. My saving grace was the hotel’s business center, which was not much to speak of, only with two computers and one printer, a seating area and a conference table. But because I’d made my reservation so late, I was unable to secure an international BlackBerry and decided to leave my compute behind. The business center really came through for me in this sense. Oh, and there are little candies in a bowl on the reception desk which are lovely, and the beer they have on tap is very refreshing.

I loved the bathroom, but wish I had the time to love it more. Great water pressure. Towel warming rack. Weird non-bidet thingy. And what the hell is the wand on the hose? Nobody could figure it out!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Pordenone, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

I stayed here last Sat and Sunday after I got tired of getting rejected by priceline for Las Ramblas/Barceloneta about 5 times. Although this hotel is not in Las Ramblas, the location is very convenient, less than 5 minute walk from the Hospital Clinic metro stop.

A fun visit to Barcelona does not require you live in Las Ramblas (I actually did not really like that area when I walked around there--just too touristy). The metro is very easy, convenient, and cheap (2 day pass was 11.50 euros), runs late on Fri, and all night on Sat. If you are out late at night drinking, the hotel is walking distance from most places in the city. The staff gave me some great recommendations, and a local friend also took me to a great Chilean restaurant (Hugo's). Another day we found by chance, La Taverna del Born. Both were not too touristy (the restaurants lining Las Ramblas tend to be more expensive and touristy, according to my friend, a native Barcelonan).

The hotel staff were very friendly, and there is internet (2 computers) and wifi free! you can even print for free--so they don't nickel and dime you. I hate when you pay $100 for a room and they want to charge you $5 for 15 minutes of internet use (it's not so much the money, but the principle).

So don't hesitate, and waste 6 hours online trying to find a decent hotel (like I did). I recommend this hotel and would return next time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends