“Good Location, a bit expensive for what you get”

Exe Laietana Palace
Ranked #358 of 520 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Europe is a place where you can get great rooms and facilities or awful experiences in different hotels for the same price.

Based on my experience staying in hotels of this price range I would say this one is a liiiitle bit expensive for the mixed bag of things they have.

the pros:
Great great location, next to a subway station and just outside of the Barrio Gótico and Born. That means you get to enjoy their restaurants and ammenities of the area safely and quickly. you can get to Las Ramblas, Passeig de Gracia or Barceloneta in no time besides enjoying crusing the small streets of Gotí and Born without problem.

This also means awesome restaurants all around to have breakfast, brunch, lunch, supper, dinner, whatever you may want you can find: nice coffee shops, entrepans, hamburguer or tapas joints, bars and nice restaurants. Either inside Gotì or Bron you will find awesome stuff.

The Cons: Bad beds, metal cheap beds which squeak at every moment you make and don't provide a comfy support for a good night sleep.
I stayed in a double room and still it was a bit small for my taste.
Window overlooking the neighborhood and not the avenue which made the room quiet enough although I was on the first floor so a bit of noise would filter if I openede the window, but the con here would be that you hear and feel the Subway passinng by since 5 am throughout the day. I know that it may not be a real Con if you want an hotel close to a station but just be ready for the noise.
I also requested a smoking room in a high room and got a very low room, I think it was because of the smoking restriction but they didn't even bothered to ask if I was ok with my room not being exactly what I requested. Quite possibly I would have preferred the high room to the smoking room but the choice was never offered which reinforces other reviews about this point being a great weakness for them.

Overall a good stay but I think 5 to 10 euros less in the costs would be appropriate for it

Room Tip: go for a room in the high floors with view to the neighborhood and not the Via Laietana avenue to av...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel 4 nights with my husband. I made the reservation two months before, and before making it I made sure I would have a room with balcony since this was very important for us. The girl that did my booking told me she would write it in the system and I could be sure to have a room with balcony without any problems. When we arrived they gave us room 301. When we enter room 301 it was so tiny we could hardly walk around the bed, and there was no balcony and the window was interior and terribly dark. I went back downstairs asking for the balcony room I was ensured I would have, and the girl who was there at that moment (there´s several different girls at the desk at different times) told me they didn´t have any balcony room available and I would only get one depending on availability, that they couldn´t have promised me one (as they did). But the next morning one would become available and they would change us to it.
So, we went sleep in 301. The bed (in this room and others, as they kept sending us to different rooms as I will explain later), as other reviewers say, has wheels and keeps moving around. There is music in the hallway, so you can hear music all night. The lights in the hallway are always on and the door is right at the feet of the bed, so you get light on your face all night. And my favorite part: this room is right next to two elevators that every time someone goes up and down (this means, every 2 or 3 minutes) it makes a strong annoying noise. So, you can hardly sleep!
Next morning they said they would change us to the new room. We went out in the morning and returned at about 1pm, asking for the keys to the new room; the girl become very nervous and told us they were doing the change right then so we couldn´t go to the room. So we had to go out again without being able to use the room. We returned again at about 4pm, asking again for the key, the girl told us they were finishing the change right then (so this took since the morning until 4pm (???). So, we had to wait for a while in the reception until we could finally use the room. The room didn´t have a balcony, but was big and had two nice windows, so I decided to let it go. This was at the other end of the hotel and we could still hear the elevator.
The next morning, when I wake up and walk to the bathroom, the floor in the hallway and bathroom all flooded! Water dropping through the ceiling from the floor above us! So we call, and the girl tell us they will send someone to fix it and change us to other room (again!!) but the new room would be smaller. So I told her I didn´t want that (this would also imply having to pack suitcases once again), I would stay there if they would fix it. Then she gave us a key to another room so we could shower before going out, we took our shower stuff and change of clothes and went shower in room 601 (the worse one we saw).
Then that morning we went out, and returned at about 2pm, to find a man was still working fixing our bathroom, and we AGAIN couldn´t use the room. We had AGAIN to go out even though we needed the room. We returned at about 4pm, and the man in the room was just finishing, and the room all dirty. He told us we had to go wait downstairs while they would clean right away.
At this point, we were extremely annoyed! We went talk to the girl in the desk, she said she was sorry and the room would be done in 5 minutes. I told her we were only having problems since we arrived 3 days ago, and how is it possible we are paying for a room we can´t use, I asked if they would not charge the room that day at least, she said "excuse me, I need to go to the desk for a moment". I thought she would go do something about my bill or anything to make things better, well no, she just went take care of other costumers! And after ONE more hour!!! at 5PM we could access our room.
At this point it was starting to ruin my holidays so I just decided to let it go, and just warn other people here.
When we left, there was the only girl (I forgot to ask her name but she was always in the mornings) that seemed to truly care about stuff and try to fix things), she apologized again, but we got a bill fully charged for every single day (although half of the time we couldn´t access the room).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

As other reviewers have said, there is no bar, or tea/coffee facilities. I made the mistake of ordering room service on my first night as it was late and I was tired from travelling. It's a delivery service that arrives in a box in microwaved plastic tubs. Food was inedible and extortionately expensive.

I was put into room 601 which more resembled a prison cell than hotel room. Barely large enough for a bed and desk, the tiny window opened onto railings and an air con unit. The bed creaked, squeaked and shot across the room when I sat on it. The mattress was like a rock.

The bathroom was tired and tatty, might have looked like the website photos many years ago when first installed. Within two mins of the shower being on, the shower tray was full to the brim and I had to stop the shower and wait 20 mins for the water to drain away.

The walls are paper thin and this room is right next to the lift shaft. Every time one of the two lifts was used, I could hear the beep of the buttons being pressed and then an earthquake racket as the lift trundled and groaned up the shaft. Sleep was utterly impossible, it went on until the entire hotel finally went to sleep and stopped using the lift. I was woken at 4.30am by the sound of someone in the room above using the toilet - there is no sound insulation, you hear everything.

After complaining I was moved to a far nicer room the other side of the hotel. It was three times the size with a lovely view from a juliette balcony. It was more comfortable, but the room and bathroom had still seen better days, grubby paint, tatty bathroom. If I hadn't had the first horrific room I probably wouldn't be on here writing this.

If you stay here do not accept a room next to the lift!

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on any floor with the number ending 01, like 401, 601. You might as well try...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank WhiskMeAway_14
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is in a fabulous location and is central to every where so is ideal on a city break holiday. It is situated on one of the main streets and is in the Barri Gotic area,which is full of small, narrow medieval roads which have a vast array of shops,eateries and places to sit and chill with a glass of wine. I was a bit dubious after reading some reviews as travellers had mixed views on this hotel after booking it. However I found it to be a good hotel.
The hotel itself is rated as four stars. The staff were courteous on arrival and checking in. On reaching our room my mom and I had a double bed and I asked for a twin room. This was not a problem and the room was changed for the following evening. Our first room was quite small but adequate but probably not four stars,however the second room was far better and was larger with room to walk about. Beds were comfortable and the room clean. The bathroom was stocked with toiletries, and towels were changed every day as was the bedding.However, there were no coffee or tea making facilities in the bedroom or complimentary drinks which I expected so I didn't take a travel kettle. Not that I wanted to watch TV but it would have been nice just to keep upto date with the news and Olympics etc,after coming back from a night out, but the channels for English viewing did not work,so it was fun trying to guess what they were saying when Gordon Ramsey was on!
There was a fridge in the room which you could purchase from although we didn't. Breakfast was self serve.There was a choice of continental cheeses,meats breads,fresh fruit,yogurts and cereal along with a lovely choice of pastries and the usual variety of juices,coffees and teas. The breakfast was well presented each day. At the end of the holiday when you check out you have to pay a city tax, this cost 12 euros for 5 nights for 2 people. There are plenty of places to eat. Close to the hotel was an Irish pub called Dunnes,a great place and the Guinness was good too. I will use this hotel again when I return to Barcelona.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel look out on to the main road and traffic at times can be noisy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My girlfiend and I booked this hotel in advance without looking at any reviews , nearer the time we decided to look, what we read were mixed reviews and some quite bad , so was quite worried when we arrived but that was soon dispelled as we reached the lobby and was impressed , at check in we were greeted by a lady with a welcoming smile called Amaia who was very friendly and helpful , she gave us the key cards to our room on the 4th floor. We entered our room and checked everything and was very pleased with what we saw , it was small but cosy , the shower room was delightful. There was always fresh towels and sheets every day. I would definitely return to this hotel , and recommend it to anyone. I would also like to thank Amaia for all her help throughout our stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I booked EXE Laietana Palace for a long weekend city break. The hotel is in a central location and does the job for a place to sleep if you are visiting Barcelona. Don't expect a Palace when you get there. The lobby is well decorated but there is no bar. The room was fine but very small. We had booked a double room and got a small room with twin beds pushed together and on wheels which rolled across the hard floor every time someone moved in the bed. The air conditioning cover was hanging off. The fridge was not working and there was half a jar of opened pickled gherkins in the warm fridge. Other than that the room was clean and cleaned every day with fresh towels. There was a lot of slamming doors though and house keeping were not the quietest in the morning. There was only one English speaking channel (CNN). There was no real interaction with staff except when checking in and out. Don't forget there is a City Tax of €1.10 per person per night payable when checking out. I would say book this hotel if you are just looking for a place to sleep but don't have high expectations. Its not the worst place to stay so I would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I booked a room here on 4th Jan to stay on 5th for one night. We chose this hotel because there is a parade on the evening of the 5th Jan to celebrate Kings and the parade goes right past this hotel. We then told 6 friends to meet us in the lobby where we had seen a bar area. We arrived at 5.30 pm to be told that they had a problem with water and electricity and we would have to stay in the sister hotel of the Laietana Palace. It was very near - only a 10 minute walk!!! We decided to wait for our friends in the bar area so asked for a drink. The bar was closed - in fact the young lady who looked after us said that the bar had been closed for quite some time. So, they are a 4 star hotel, they had no bar, and we would have to drag our suitcases through Barcelona on a night where the world and his wife were out waiting to celebrate Kings. The young lady who looked after us, Ana, was absolutely charming and obviously very uncomfortable about what had happened. Laietana Palace do not deserve her and having been in the service industry for nearly 40 years myself, I would say that she should look for another company that would be thankful for her talents. She alone made a real problem (we still had to wait for our friends) bearable. The question I would like to ask is "where was the manager?" I would be interested to see if he will reply to this review. He certainly was notable by his absence last night.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo