“Apartment hotel with excellent service close to city center in residential area”
Review of Aparthotel Silver

Aparthotel Silver
Ranked #60 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Linköping
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Aparthotel Silver is an apartment hotel (fridge and kitchenette) just about 20 minutes walk from Plaza de Catalunya. It is situated in Gracia which is an area where middle class Barceloneans live, shop and eat.
I stayed here for the third time, this time with my children (16 and 18 years old). One of my children is disabled and we had asked for a roomwith disabled access. We got that confirmed and the room was excellent.
When my daughters wheelchair had a flat tire the people at the hotel repaired it for us. they did not even charge us for it (I would not have argued...). Excellent service!
Also the hotel is placed really well if you prefer to stay off the real hot places, although you can easily crawl back from the Ramblas late in the morning...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank besj62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 10 April 2009

We stayed here during a four day visit to Barcelona. The taxi driver knew exactly where this hotel was. The gentleman at the front desk when we checked in late in the evening spoke very little English but was patient with my Spanish and was very helpful. The daytime front desk clerk was fluent in English and also very helpful. There were lots of tourist brochures in the lobby as well as newspapers/weeklies in Spanish and English.

We stayed in one of the older rooms (the hotel was undergoing renovations), but found it - although a tad shabby - very clean and comfortable. Our window looked out into a nice little courtyard. We were worried about late night noise but luckily it was very quiet in the evenings the entire time we stayed there.

First, some bad things: When we booked online we read that the hotel has laundry service, which we thought meant there was a laundry room on the premises. Turns out that it's actually a "send out" type service you pay extra for - you put your laundry in a provided plastic bag and leave it for the cleaning service to take care of for you. The price was a little unreasonable and we didn't like that too much. If you need to do laundry, there is a laundromat (in Spanish, a lavanderia) a reasonable walk away from the hotel: Bugaderia Wash n'Dry on Carrer Torrent De l'Olla. Google Map it to see where it is exactly.

We also didn't like that you had to pay for wi fi service. There's free internet at a public computer in the lobby, but every time we went downstairs in the evening, someone was always on.

Now the good: For about an extra 10 Euros a night, you can have breakfast buffet included during your stay. This was one of the best things about the hotel, as we expected a simple continental type breakfast (pastries, cafe con leche, and fruit), but when we came down to the cafe the first morning, we were very pleasantly surprised. Although there were no hot items, there was a plethora of yummy things like breads, cereal, coffee, tea, juices, cheeses and meats. Definitely worth the extra money. If you're trying to save a little, you can load up on breakfast and have a light lunch or quick, inexpensive tapa during the afternoon. There's also a mini fridge in the room if you want to buy food at a store.

The hotel is in a great location in the Gracia district, literally one block up from the Fontana station and so it was easy to get everywhere in the city.

All in all, a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Kodiak Island, Alaska
Reviewed 18 December 2008

This is probably a good value for Barcelona. The room is large, with a large closet, drawers in the closet, safe, and large cupboards above the closet. There is a kitchen area in the room, with a sink, stove, cupboards above it all, & mini refrigerator, all enclosed with an armoire-type door. You would think that one wouldn't need the frig, but it was actually nice to have. I walked up and down the street looking for some sort of grocery or convenience store one night & finally found it to the left of the metro station. Thus, I got milk, salomi, cheese, juice, etc. & it was nice to put in the frig. The room had a full size bed, which was nice for a change in Europe, where most beds are twin size. The end table seemed built into the wall, like it was a part of the head board or something. There was a fold down table that was handy, and two chairs. Large windows opened up to the street and I found it to be quiet. There was a bidet in the bathroom & I rather tight squeeze, but a nice big tub, with a handheld shower. In the kitchen, there were dishes, utensils, a coffee pot, too. The room was very clean. It had a TV with several channels. The usual English CNN. It had and adjustable heater/AC. It did seem a little worn and shabby, though & did not look like the website picture. There were a couple of cigarette burns on the bedspread. I think they were renovating some of the rooms. On the plus side, the staff were very nice & seemed to try really hard to accommodate their guests. In that regard, it was a proper hotel. There was a computer with internet access in the lobby, and even a printer, for guests to use. The staff seemd to try hard to be welcoming & answer questions, or give one a map to draw on and point things out. I took the Aeroporto Bus #1 from the airport to arrive there, for 4.05 Euro, to Plaza Catalunya. Then I took the metro 3 stops, I believe, to Fontanna. Exit and practically go straight down a street, several minute walk, and you will see 3 flags, and that is the hotel. I'm glad their website said to see the flags, because I got off, asked 2 metro attendants, & they said go to another metro stop. I disregarded their advise & walked down the street anyway, seeng the flags, & there was the hotel. I did not have a problem with getting to the hotel. The metro was a little stressful for me. I guess because I'm not used to taking a metro. There were homeless people there, sleeping, asking for change, or people singing or playing the guitar for money. It seemed like you had to go down, down, down into the metro & walk quite a ways. I had to ask somebody the first time I went & another time I went in the wrong direction & on the wrong metro line. After that I got it. You can buy 10 metro trips for something like 7 euro, or 1.30 euro per ticket. The metro machine was pretty easy to use. After I figured out that you could take a left from the hotel & a right down the main street, I thought that was better than the metro. I caught my hop-on, hop-off bus that way, and avoided the rather hot, busy metro, until I flew out. Plaza Catalunya is a happening place. People all the time. It's about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. As I'm sure it's already been posted, be careful about pickpocketers. I didn't have a problem, but there is so many people, crowed everywhere, especially in the metro tunnel, and Plaza C. that it seems easy to be pickpocketed. A mother & son traveler that I met on my tour to Montserrett said their hotel clerk told them to be careful as she had been robbed twice & she lived there! I'm sure, though, like everywhere, be careful, and take precautions. Oh yeah, there is nice shops, some tapas bars, and a couple of nice restaurants right around the corner from this hotel. (Again, take a left from the hotel, then a right in front of the metro station.)

Overall, this is proper hotel, in a good location, easy to get to by the metro & the aeroporto bus, or walking, which is more enjoyable than the metro to get to things. It is in a nice area, too. Probably a solid value for Barcelona.

• Liked — Location. And it was a large room.
  • Disliked — Cigarette burns on the comforter. Didn't look like the website.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank wanderlustak
Liverpool
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Very well located, 2 minute walk to nearest metro station in a nice area. We had a comfort room which was really nice. Kitchen area had a fridge, microwave, kettle and hob. Nice bathroom with shower, all very clean. Room was cleaned daily. Only disadvantage was that our room had no natural light whatsoever making it very dark in the daytime. It was difficult to know what to wear as we couldn't see out of the window!
Staff were reasonably helpful. On our last day we were able to leave our bags in reception to save having to carry them around as we were on an evening flight. Free internet access was very useful. Did nid use the cafe/bar as made breakfast in our room and then were out for the rest of the day.
A well priced hotel and we would gladly return to both the hotel and Barcelona

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hegx
switzerland
Reviewed 27 October 2008

great location - close to subway and shopping area. plenty of coffee shop/bakery nearby.
staff is polite and helpful.
room is clean. there is an electronic safe in the room to store you valuables. There is a fridge and stove for those who prefre to eat in (um..but why?).
there is a health food store on the same street that sells gluten-free product.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Brasov
Reviewed 12 October 2008

The hotel is located just across the street from Fontana metro station, which makes it easy to arrive from El Prat airport (take Renfe train till Passeig de Gracia, then take L3 towards Trinitad Nova / Caneyelles, and you can use the same T-10 trip for this, as long as it takes no more than 1.15 min). What I loved most was the location, on foot it took about 40 min to get to the seaside, on a wide shopping street which gives into Las Ramblas.

The hotel room we had (comfort) was fairly big, cleaned daily, I found the kitchen really useful (dishes, fridge.. ), the bathroom was also nice.

The only flaw of this hotel is that noise can be easily heard, so make sure to get earplugs.

All in all, if walls were thicker, this hotel would be perfect.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank artemisa_b
Nanaimo
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Although on a drab and narrow side street this hotel is just yards fom the Fontana metro station. We found this to be the ideal way to get around for our short visit to Barcelona using the 10euro 2-day pass, Hotel room was small but clean and well maintained and our room was quiet.(Friends had a room overlooking the street and found it noisy on the Friday night into the small hours). We booked through the hotel web-site and got a rate of 105 euro per night - very reasonble for Barcelona. Breakfast was extra - served on a small terrace - continental- adequate - 9 euros. Most front desk staff had excellent English and were very helpful. Good restaurants nearby or a short metro ride gets you to Las Ramblas with all kinds of eateries.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business