Babylon Idiomas Barcelona - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Nice teachers, poor place

I read a review above that sums it all up really. Where the teachers may be lovely and actually... read more

Reviewed 20 May 2014
DirtyPawsTraveller
London, United Kingdom
Disappointing, despite having had great teachers

Reviewed 21 September 2013
--Regensburg--4
Regensburg, Germany

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 February 2015

The teachers are on strike on my very first day of class due to the fact that they have not been paid since December (almost three months). Therefore no class took place. I undestand the teachers but what I don't understand is that the owner does not pay them. This will be my last language class at Babylon.

7  Thank Heidi_Franken
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I read a review above that sums it all up really.

Where the teachers may be lovely and actually rather good at teaching, the inherent lack of customers means you are put in a group that is well below your level and spend a lot of time learning the basics. The office is a bit of a joke as well, the lack of organisation is very clear.

Although they have some great teachers and lovely people, I would advise going only if you are new to Spanish and don't have a decent understanding of the language.

Also watch out, they have some cranky people in the school too!

3  Thank DirtyPawsTraveller
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I found learning Spanish as an immersion experience quite difficult. There was a great deal of support and the teachers were fantastic. The organised tours were excellent. I suggest that during the time you are a student you don't schedule much else! It is important to do the homework and put a lot of effort into learning. There is no doubt that it is a great way to learn about culture and the people. They have a Happy Miércoles where students get together to learn Spanish. Since returning to Australia I have kept up the learning experience and I also intend to return to do more classes in Barcelona.

2  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I wish I could write two separate reviews for Babylon idiomas: One for the teaching staff and one for the rest. The teachers were way above average (of what I have experienced in many other language schools). I stayed for four weeks, so I had a lot of different teacher. Of couse, some of them were not very motivated, but others were the best I have ever had. I am studying to become a teacher, so I know good teaching when I see it.
But the organisation of the school did not convince me at all. I complained in my first week that the level of my group was too low, but the headmistress refused to change my group (as I was in the highest level already). The only solution would have been private lessons (just one hour per day instead of four), which I was given one week when there was no C1 class. Then I had to attend the normal lessons again, which was quite frankly often a waste of time, as it was just a repetition of what I already knew. I was told that the administration does not allow group lessons to be changed for private lessons, so they just tell you that you are in the right group.
I would therefore not recommend the school for people who already have a good knowledge of Spanish.
And what bothered me even more is the fact that the school tries to rip you off with their additional offers, like accomodation. For my 4 weeks I would have had to paid 1000 Euros, which is simply ridiculous considering the fact that you can find a decent room for just 350 Euro (which I did). And the host families just receive about half of what you pay, the school gets the rest. The same applies to salsa classes,... So I would urge you just to book lessons and nothing else. You will save lots of money!

9  Thank --Regensburg--4
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Babylon Barcelona is in a good location, with helpful and enthusiastic staff and interesting classes.
I did the intensive course - 6 hours a day with culture classes and conversation classes and I had a brilliant time. We learned a lot of interesting things, and all classes were in spanish, which gives a great feeling of achievement- to know youve listened to and spoken only in Spanish for 6 hours minimum every day.
The classes are small 10 or less.
The emphasis is very much on the student to practice outside of school and during class and decide if they think they are working at the right level. I decided mine was too high and had no problems changing down a bit.
The after school activity programme looks great and happy miercoles bar visit is fun for meeting your friends and the teachers and other students.
It's not cheap and if you can get cheaper accomodation elsewhere i'd recommend it.
BUT its great fun, you meet lots of people and you learn a lot.

3  Thank Kwellerpunk