“Great Value - Great Location - Excellent Food - Very Comfortable & Fantastic Staff”
Review of Hotel Marina Folch

Hotel Marina Folch
Ranked #472 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My First time to Barcelona found me this waterfront hotel by recommendation from the airport information desk as central to my requirements. In short walking distance from the metro the Cafe Peru at the front of the hotel Marina Folch was a pleasant reception after a marathon trip from Orkney, Scotland. A family run cafe and hotel put me in the pleasant and capable care of very helpful courteous and welcoming staff from the offset. The hotel is separate from from the cafe and you have to walk around the end of the building and up the back street but only a few metres to the main door. The bell connects to reception up a short narrow stair or lift if required. The ensuite rooms vary in size and the first night I had a single. The bed was clean, comfortable and cozy. Air-conditioning and television in the bedroom, toilet, sink and shower (spotless) attached. I have stayed there on several occasions in different rooms, all spotlessly serviced. Some rooms face inward to a large central shaft which does supply light and opening windows. The front facing rooms have balconies to sit out on with patio windows. The double bed I had the most recent time there in June this year had a mattress to die for. It was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I want one! Remember to take bottled water or ask at the cafe for some before retiring. I have used the water from tap to drink and it was absolutely fine. Back to the cafe which only opens around midday but open until after midnight - I will challenge anyone to find better food anywhere in the area and there are no shortage of venues. I have tried a few that looked a bit up market but always returned to Cafe Peru where I was greeted with real smiles beautifully presented food that tastes even better than it looks if that's possible. I cannot speak highly enough about this venue. The genuine caring family not only supply a service by catering but have extended a hand of friendship to me a weary traveller but on frequent occasions have helped me out using their multi lingual skills with their own phone and internet. Should you choose to stay and or eat here you will enjoy the friendly family atmosphere of a smaller hotel and cafe and not feel like you are a number on a conveyor belt. This venue is central to the beach not far down the main street at the front. Port Vell shopping centre and marinas across the way past the Historic Museum. A market for fish, poultry, meat an veg just around the corner and a Plaza with shops of all kinds around. Three or four hundred metres will take you to the Christopher Columbus statue at the bottom of the Rambla and another 15mins up to Plaza de Catalunya for buses taxis and trains to the airport. Whether just in Barcelona for one night or an extended stay I would thoroughly recommend you try this place. Its not the usual spread yourself out and amongst lots of people place but a quiet retreat sort of home from home.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if you want to sit an chill in the evening otherwise the others are totally adequa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank WilliamBremner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We arrived in Barcelona on Grand Prix weekend - only didn't know it - and spent two hours ringing round 40 hotels. I am so glad they were all full and we ended up at Marina Folch. It's unorthodox: check in is at the bar of a waterfront restaurant, and access to the dozen rooms is down a side street and up a narrow residential staircase which would be difficult for some with physical disability. On top of this our room was small. However it was spotlessly clean and simply laid out, the bathroom had a good shower and bath with plenty of hot water, and our balcony had a table and chairs that looked down over the boulevard on to the Museum of Catalan History. If you are a light sleeper this may be a problem but was fine for us. The family restaurant ('Peru') opened in 1940 and the owners daughters welcomed us with a smile and complementary drink. Breakfast is not included - in fact not available, but there are plenty of cafes nearby. It's possible to leave your bags safely in reception after check out. This hotel has prompted me to write my first Trip Advisor review. All in all excellent value for money if you are not looking for glamour and frills. Make sure you ask for a room at the front. Phil and Seema

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Philipgothard
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The rooms are small and face a back ally but the hotel is spotlessly clean, the shower and air conditioner worked great and the proprietors are very friendly. The restaurant connected with the hotel is called Peru. The food and staff there are great! Note, if you are taking a taxi, asked to go to the Restaurante Peru rather than the hotel. The fare will be 10 Euros cheaper because it fronts onto a main street. They will take you through the restaurant to get to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HeatherH6
London
Reviewed 11 November 2009

We stayed a whole week at this hotel and it is great value for a really good price. The location is perfect, really close to the beach and harbor and also only 10 minutes away from the old part of town.
The owners are friendly, although sometimes a bit hard to get hold of, best is to go to their restaurant.
Rooms are very clean, reasonably big and quiet.
The only problem we had while we were there, was that their boiler broke one day after we arrived and it took them 3 days to repair it / get a new one, so we didn't have hot water in that time. The owners tried their best to make up for it though, we got invited for a free 4-course dinner for the 3 of us and got a good discount for the room on top.
Apart from that I would say it definitely deserves more than 1 star, I would say it can easily compete with any 2- or 3-star hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicole24London
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We loved the location of this hotel, near the beach and the water and the base of Las Ramblas. The hotel is above a restaurant. There are no frills -- no wireless, not much staff, and our shower was tempermental. There weren't even any basics -- bring your own soap, shampoo and blowdryer. The television got maybe 3 channels and the bed took up essentially the whole room.

But the place was clean and the price was right and we weren't spending much time in our hotel room anyway. It was right around the corner from the best bombas in town (we ate there twice, delicious). The owners (who also own the Restaurant Peru downstairs) were nice and gave us a complimentary bottle of cava on our first night. For us, given the price, it was near-perfect (I'd say perfect if it hadn't been for the tempermental shower).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

-cheap & very clean
-staff friendly when there
-close to Marina
Not so good points:
-noisy position on busy road & over noisy bar/restaurant. Ear plugs weren't enough for me.
-poor entrance but that's unimportant
-staff speak almost no English (why should they?!)
-communicating with the hotel is difficult as often no one there. I emailed Sunday & didn't get a reply until Wednesday & was told no one was there.
-on arrival I got a key for outside door & that was the last I saw of anyone (not a problem but just a pity & they run the restaurant downstairs so you can get hold of someone there)
-reserved with VISA but wasn't told they'd insist on payment by cash. Went to the cashpoint to get cash & on return I was asked by someone else whether I wanted to pay by cash or VISA so mixed message there.
-If you get a Marina view, it is in fact blocked by a large tree so when in leaf all you really see is the outside seating of the bar/restaurants on the street below.
-no a/c so I imagine it's hot in the summer & too noisy to open windows.
Would I stay again? If genuinely just staying in the room for sleep & not in the heart of summer then this is clean & cheap, leaving more money to spend on having fun. I'm personally not going to stay here again. Barcelona is noisy but there will be quieter still central locations where everything is just a bit more professional & I personally like to spend a few hours in the hotel to recuperate pre evening meal.
Difficult to get email address so here it is: marinafolchbcn@hotmail.com
If you've already booked then have fun- the place is fine!

• Liked — Clean and cheap
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Wentthereandback

Travellers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Greece
Reviewed 23 March 2008

We stayed at the Marina Folch hotel for a week. We were at first a bit discouraged by the main entrance to the building, which smelled of damp, and were prepared for worse once in the hotel. But as we entered the hotel area and our room, we were relieved. The first night we were in a room with a window facing an enclosed area, which we did not like because of lack of fresh air, but they told us immediately that we would be given another room with a balcony the following day. This one we really liked; the balcony was facing Carrer de Mar, a narrow charming street of Barceloneta. As we saw later, there are rooms overlooking the Marina, which I definitely recommend. We paid €65 a night, no breakfast.
The rooms had two single beds put together, so no real double beds. The floors were white ceramic tiles. The bathroom with a bath tub was very clean, as well as the entire room, all impeccably clean. The staff were very friendly, although they did not speak English well.
The only problem we had with the heating; it was working occasionally, we did not now how to turn it on, but then again we did not ask either. I suppose this could have been solved too.
The location is really good; la Rambla is within walking distance (approx. 10 mins), the metro station is just a few minutes away and the beach is quite close too. There is a supermarket and lots of restaurants around. Only, one should be prepared for a bit of a smell while walking the streets of Barceloneta due to the old sewerage system.
Recommended.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple