“Good location & Clean!”
Review of el Jardi

el Jardi
Ranked #219 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Our hotel in Barcelona was nice. It was in a central location just down a street off of La Rambla in a small plaza. The area was relatively quiet for such a busy city but was close and walking distance to everything (well minus all Gaudi’s work but thats to be expected). Our rooms were quite tiny but they had air conditioning and all amenities we would need to be comfortable!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lauren M

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Unfortunately, my brother and I were very disappointed with our 3 night stay at El Jardi. He had stayed there five years ago and gotten a room on the top floor with a huge roof/terrace. We thought we were booking the same room, though we got a different room on the top floor with a smaller terrace (though this is not El Jardi's fault) it set the tone for our continued disappointment. The rules of the hotel permit ANY visitors (though this was not the case 5 years ago). A friend of mine from back in the USA is studying in Barcelona and she was not allowed to come in with us. Also, they will ask you to leave the lobby area after a relatively short time (we were told by one concierge that there is a FIVE MINUTE LIMIT IN THE LOBBY?!?!)

Considering that it is the only place we were able to get wifi and communicate with the world we left behind, this seemed ridiculous.

The walls are boring and white (though they finally put up some paintings in the lobby be the time we left). The one photo/drawing in our room was not quite pleasant, and the overall experience was not very impressive. The location is great, but for the money you can certainly live better in Barcelona.... For the same price our hotel in Madrid was about ten times as good (friendly, helpful, nice interior, beautiful views...)

If you don't plan on ever being in your hotel, and if you preferably have a phone that works in Barcelona, this hotel may not be so bad, but for us it was a let down.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed here at the end of October 2011. I chose a Standard Interior room which obviously was dark as I didn't have windows, but I didn't have any noise problems either! The airline lost my bag and the staff were helpful saying it will probably take a few days. It did arrive eventually and the next day another staff member checked to see if my bag had arrived. They also suggested some places to buy some necessities. My room was on a low floor so I was able to connect to wifi which was great. The room itself was very clean and it was a nice room. I also had a bath.. Location was great and I could walk to the airport bus in about 10 mins. There was also a metro on La Rambla. The foyer was great as you could sit on the balcony and look over the square.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We were almost stranded when all the hotels were sold out but the Jardi. So we were happy they had space.

The wifi is only in the lobby unless you ask for a room near the lobby. We got some first floor rooms that could reach the wifi. Problem is, the lobby is very loud and the street can be loud at times. We used an iPhone sound machine with our baby.

Would have been cheaper if we used priceline.

Also 10% discount for cash was kind of shady.

Very nice multilingual front desk people.

Long stairs with no elevator is not ideal for bags.

Great location in center of las Ramblas.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Just arrive in Barcelona in summer with protest around, La Rambla was full and I was lost. Arrive and the host recieve me with a big smile, help, water and a nice room in one of the best locations in Gotic. I has WiFi service, nice and clean bed and bathroom, tv with the latest news and a fun square just right outside. In the morning, i got my breakfast served with care and love.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Just back from staying at El Jardi, excellent staff on reception, very helpful and calm and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they are a credit to Barcelona. The location is excellent just off Ramblas, the rooms are small but clean and the hotel felt very safe. If you are looking for a place to stay in a great location with excellent reception staff then El Jardi would be an excellent choice. Just one tip if you are coming by train and metro and you exit at Liceu the hotel is just literally across the road from the metro and a two minute walk up a side street we wantdered up La Rambla before realising the hotel was closer to the Metro than we thought( 2-3 minutes walk) Train very good from Airport and the change at passeig gracia was easy
Martin

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin H
Reviewed 29 October 2011

My husband, my best friend, and her husband stayed here in September for 4 nights during Festival Mercé. It was my best friend who picked this hotel, had I done the research for Barcelona hotels, I would have definitely paid more for a better hotel. The only two things this hotel has going for it are (1) the location - just a block away from the Ramblas and (2) free WIFI.
Everything else, from the 10 Euro deposit for the TV remote, to the lack of replenishment of bathroom essentials (even toilet paper), the TINY hotel room, and the paper thin walls (our room was right next to the service area) made this hotel a place I would never set foot in again.
Sure the price was "fairly decent" but trust me, spend an extra 50-100 Euro and you won't regret it!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple