“Japanese BBQ :P”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: El Raval
Description: Open all nights / Obert tots els dies
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stumbled upon this restaurant walking around Barcelona at night.. It's some of the best Japanese food I've had outside of Japan and certainly some of the best food I had in Barcelona.
The option we went for was a 3 course meal was about £20; this involved choosing from a selection of starters, different meat options for the BBQ and a dessert. In the centre of each table is a proper BBQ -they put some bbqing wood under the grill, then you cook your own meat over it. I loved it but I do love a good barbecue.
For dessert I had a chocolate cake with a matcha cream filling, I've never seen that type of cake before but it was fantastic. The sake was great, lots of choice and prices were reasonable. The staff, atmosphere and décor were all top notch too. If I lived in Barca I'd go here every week!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I love Japanese food and when my brother (who lives in Tokyo) and sister-in-law (who is Japanese) recommended this restaurant, I booked to go with my pal for her birthday. The food was delicious and good value, and the service delightful. It's made it onto my "must do" list for next time.

1  Thank Babs123263
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This is one of the very few restaurants you may easily fall in love at first sight. Once spotted from the street, you need to go in and hope they will have a table. The experience of an authentic japanese bbq out of Japan is very unlikely, and this restaurant is simply outstanding. The food is top quality, served to you like you are the only customer in the house. The waiter and the Japanese girl are incredibly charming and friendly, making sure you are feeling all right and at home. I very much recommend the rice (order that the dark brown one in the menu and you won't regret), and the potatoes. I loved the sausages and the experience if cooking the meat tapas myself so much. Desserts are homemade. Try the cheese flan and you'll order another one. I don't think I can afford not coming here very often from now on.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

We love Japanese food, but Japanese food is not only Sushis! Even tough I love sushis, we just found this sukiyaki joint. It is the first of its kind in Barcelona, the authentic Hibachi grill which is fueled with white charcoal. From Kyoto to Barcelona, Carlota Akaneya on c/pintor fortuny, will welcome you in its homely atmosphere, with their several different-sized tables and their own grill in the middle. You will roast your veggies while talking and feeling at home. Ok, it is more targeted to the meat eaters, but the veggies on charcoal are delicious, and you do it yourself. The owners are a couple, Spanish and his lovely Japanese partner. It also offers some Spanish style tapas, you will really have a unique cozy experience and maybe meet some celebrities as you can see on the pictures above , while eating and having chilled beer or a warm sake.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Fantastic service, fantastic food and really good value. It's a really unusual experience and really worth a visit.

I do agree with other reviewers about the lights... the atmosphere could be improved!