“Good location”

Hotel Internacional Ramblas Cool
Ranked #368 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The hotel is well located just opposite the Liceu Opera house and the metro station of the same name on the Rambla. A very short walk away is the Boqueria market and there are loads of cafes and restaurants. In daylight hours the Rambla is an attractive place to stroll or sit and have a coffee and people watch, at night it is rather tacky and there are many prostitutes and pickpockets, so be warned.

The hotel itself is pleasant with clean, modern public areas. The staff on reception are helpful and willing to show you how to find places and give you a map. My room was 111 on the first floor at the back with a view of a back alley - not inspiring but you don't go to Barcelona to sit in your room. The room was lovely and clean with a modern bathroom with tub and shower. The TV had only spanish channels, and although it would be nice to have maybe a couple of English language channels I would not consider this a deal breaker - as I have already said, you don't come here to sit in your room. The bed was comfortable, but for couples would be a problem as it was two singles pushed together and on castors so you would expect to fall through the middle as the beds slide apart.
The only real down side was that the sound insulation was not good and over the weekend the (mainly English) drunk guests coming back at two or three in morning talking loudly and slamming doors did spoil my sleep.
Breakfast was good with a range of choices from the usual cooked offering to rolls, cold meats, cheese, cereals, fruit and pastries. There was good quality fruit choice and coffee and hot water with a choice of teabags. The downside to the cooked option was that it was not even warm, it was cold.

I did not use the Metro as it seemed a shame to miss the Rambla - it is also famous for pickpockets. The hotel is about ten minutes walk from the Placa Catalunia where the Aerobus arrives from El Prat airport (good value at 10E20 return).

I must thank the reception staff for being really helpful when I was mugged - the made phone calls for me to help get my stolen cards cancelled. Top tip - leave as much as you can in the room safe - I did not and suffered the consequences.

I booked the hotel through Easyjet so I am not sure what I paid for the room but I can only assume it offers excellent value for money.

Room Tip: If you want a room overlooking the Rambla pay to upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The only good thing about this hotel was the location.

We booked this hotel for a special occasion and requested beforehand a view overlooking las ramblas. When we asked the receptionist what kind of room we were having he just said a standard. I explained how it was a special occasion (my birthday) and asked if we could have the nicest room available. Well this wasn't fulfilled at all! He didn't seem to care and had no interest in us, just rude.

When we got to our room we looked out the window and we were immediately greeted with a brick wall, a dirty alleyway and builders working next door. There was a draft coming through the sliding doors which didn't lock properly. There were also scuff marks on the wall, a broken light, a missing bedside table and the sink was detached and loose from the wall.

The roof terrace was tatty and could do with a major facelift, definitely room for improvement here.

NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charlotte C
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Decently priced in the heart of La Ramblas.
Location is awesome! Close to markets and train station is right infront. Many restaurants available.
Beds comfortable. Clean and cosy.

Cons:
Known for pick pocketing and theft (be aware n don't bring all items out or look like a tourist)... You'll look like an easy target!
Quite noisy at night.
Not many choices of tv channels.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leslie N
Reviewed 3 March 2014

room very small but clean and comfortable,breakfast excellent.receptionists helpful and friendly.barcelona is a beautiful city,however had a scary first night where mine and a friends drink got spiked by organised gang trying to get our bags,glad to say we were lucky.apart from making us violently ill they didnt get anything.the hotel is in an excellent location,couldnt ask for better.i recommend doing the open top bus tours,best way of getting to the major attractions.i wouldnt hesitate revisiting barcelona,but would be careful who i trusted next time which is such a shame.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Returned from this hotel on Wednesday 19th Febuary. As all the reviews say, the bedrooms are tiny, a little tired but clean. The location is perfect, with a metro stop right outside. We had a double room with a balcony overlooking La Rambla, you can walk to the port, the bottarga market, playa catalunya and just about every main sight that you need. Best way to see Barcelona is the two day hop on hop off bus which is at the playa catalunya plaza which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel. As I was with my daughter, the hotel was brilliant and I'd stay again. If I'd been with my partner, I would have upgraded. It's really just verging on a two star.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank marthaWembley
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here and was put in room 216, as soon as I saw this I knew it would put a dampener on our holiday. I booked this hotel through EasyJet as a package but the hotel is one I chose. This I did by looking on the hotel's website that gives a glowing picture of the hotel itself. We were looking forward to our holiday with the thought of a nice hotel and a great place to go. Room 216 is at the back of the hotel with a tiny balcony that you can not stand on and looks onto another building and a narrow alley. The room is grubby and smelly and although the heating worked, it worked overtime. It was SO hot it kind of burnt your skin. I'd have to turn it on low but leave the door open on the balcony to try and get an even temperature. The bathroom is really grubby and disappointing with chips in the enamel of the bath. I complained to the receptionist who by the way was very nice. She said that's there's a basic room and a deluxe room. Obviously we had basic. I wanted to be upgraded, of which I would have paid the extra, but this wasn't possible as there was a massive mobile phone conference on so the hotel was full. However, there was another basic room at the front, 214 with a balcony you could stand on. It did smell of smoke but we left the windows opened whilst we were out and the smell went. This room was a better one than the previous one and we were happy to stay here.
The hotel is a nice place, clean and in the process of being modernised. Breakfast isn't brilliant but that depends on what you expect. They give free water which is left in tiny fridges on some of the floors. I do know that floor 2 and 4 have these fridges.
I will definitely go back as long as I could have 214 or similar or even upgrade.

The staff are friendly and helpful. What the company need to be aware of and the customers do too is that the information about rooms is incorrect.
The site states Amenities in Guests Rooms:
Air-conditioning and heating.
Fire alarm.
Balcony or terrace.
Bath and shower.
Room safe.
Extra bed..
Thermostat.
Desk with laptop computer and wi-fi connection to the Internet.
Alarm clock.
Lounge area.
Sofa-bed.
Hair drier.
Cable TV.

Being as I booked the hotel on this basis, you can understand why I was disappointed. The safe wasn't offered to us, no alarm clock, no lounge area, no laptop, no extra bed, no thermostat. These must be the upgraded rooms, but doesn't say this on the website. The website states: Completely refurbished in 2009, the Hotel Internacional offers design, comfort...

DON'T let this put you off staying here, it's just a warning and something you need to be aware of and that you're not disappointed. Be aware that they have basic rooms and deluxe rooms when booking and state what you want at the start. It is a nice hotel and the staff are friendly.

We had good value for money, all done through Easyjet. We had a wonderful time in Barcelona and will definitely be returning. You would be wise to do an open top tour first giving you an idea of what's where and you can hop on hop off easily. We did this over two days costing us €35. WARNING!! If you do, wrap up well as it was freezing sat up there. This was with a temp of about 16 degrees Celsius on a sunny day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front, it may be noisy but I didn't notice it really plus I live on a busy...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Organmaster J
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

The room is empty without minibar bedroom slipper and even hairdyer. We have to get it ourselves from the reception . This make us feel like we are staying in the hostel when we pay so much! The staff are not friendly either.but the location is good and thats all.

Stayed: February 2014