“great location and very kindly attendance”
Review of Hostal Oliva

and 1 more site!
Ranked #47 of 307 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“great location and very kindly attendance”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The Hostal Oliva has a great location next to the subway, shops, restaurants and various tourist attractions. The place is simple but very well maintained. The bathroom is totally refurbished. The building is beautiful. The attendance is great and the owners are very kindly and friendly. Recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank viviane a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Was not sure what to expect so was very surprised. I walked every where. Room was small but had a nice bathroom. The neighborhood was great. The bus from the airport is only 3 blocks away ad 10 euro return metro nearby as well.

Room Tip: Not too sure
6 Thank Joey4405
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Hostal Oliva is an absolute gem. I booked this hostal based on reviews from Trip Advisor and it was an extremely wise decision. From the moment I stepped off the Aerobus at Placa de Catalunya and realized that I was only a 5 minute walk away, I knew that the location would be superb. When I was buzzed into the hostal and viewed the stunning foyer with the wrought iron elevator, elegant stairway and incredibly high ceilings, it took my breath away and I fell in love with Hostal Oliva. In fact every day that I left and re-entered the hostal I would stand for several minutes and admire the character of the building and the magnificent entrance.

I stayed 7 nights in a single room with shared bath (rm # 5) for only 41 euros a night. The room was tiny but very cozy and bright. It was equipped with a corner sink with a lamp and mirror above it, small desk/chair and lamp, flat screen tv, wardrobe, night table/lamp, 2 separate sockets and a new quiet air conditioner. The frosted window looked out onto a small enclosed balcony with a strange looking plant but it was good for looking out to check the weather. The single bed was very comfortable and extra bedding was provided. The room had everything one needed. Towels were changed daily and the complimentary shampoo, soap, lotion and Kleenex was replenished daily.

I had a choice of two bathrooms. The older bathroom was a few doors down and opposite the reception and was set up with the toilet, shower and bidet in one room and the sink outside in an attached room. The newer bathroom was at the other end and was very modern with a long countertop, bidet and a bathtub with a lovely rain shower head. During the entire week that I stayed here I never saw one person use either bathroom (I suspect most people had rooms with private bathrooms) so I felt like I had my own private bathroom. In fact, I only saw and heard a few people come and go at the hostal during the 7 days. I worried about the noise level as I am a light sleeper and I was relatively close to the reception but it was very quiet and once I crawled into my cozy bed I slept better here than I do most nights at home. This hostal was sparkling clean as the bathrooms, bedrooms and long hallways were cleaned daily.

There is a nice sitting area at one end of the hostal. There was no breakfast provided but there are two vending machines near the reception- one for hot drinks (1 euro espresso was decent and a good kick start to the day) and one with cold drinks and snacks. There are numerous restaurants just outside the hostal although most did not open for breakfast until after 8:00 a.m.

The location of Hostal Oliva was perfect and everything for me was within walking distance. For anyone so inclined, it is a shopper's paradise as Passeig de Gracia is loaded with upscale shops as is nearby Avinguda del Portal de l'Angel. Besides the central Placa de Catalunya being only 5 minutes away, it is also only a 3-5 minute walk to the Metro and Renfe station, 5 minute walk to Gaudi's Casa Batllo and about a 10 minute walk to his La Pedrera. In fact, I found everything so close that after the week I still had 4 trips left on the t10 ticket I purchased on day one.( It was a quick and efficient ride back to the airport via the train). I walked all over, up to Gracia, down Las Ramblas to the waterfront, around Barri Gotic, over to El Born and the pretty Parc de la Ciutadella day and night and felt safe at all times. It was a treat returning to the hostal after a full day of sightseeing as it felt like a home away from home.

Claustre, the proprietor spoke very little English and I speak even less Spanish (and no Catalan) but between gestures, a phrase book and common words, it was never an issue. Claustre lives on the same floor and was always available. She was very friendly and pleasant, always asking me if everything was okay and if I was happy with the room. There is a housekeeper who speaks English. Be prepared to leave your room key at the reception when leaving. It sounds unsafe to leave your key with the room number displayed on an unattended desk early in the morning but after the first day I felt so at ease that I never thought about it again. You have to be buzzed to be let in but Claustre always responded promptly.

I am so glad that I chose Hostal Oliva for my 7 night stay in Barcelona and I highly recommend this hostal. Its especially hard to find good, affordable accommodation for a solo traveller and this was an amazing find. I have spread the good word among many friends and acquaintances. I hope to return to beautiful Barcelona one day and will definitely stay at Hostal Oliva again.

9 Thank gniteIrene
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I’m currently living in Bangkok for work reasons, but I spent a week in Barcelona where I have many friends, since I lived there for 3 years. I know pretty well the city, so I was looking for a nice place to rest, well connected and interesting price. I completely found that place: Hostal Oliva. It was like getting back home. The staff is very attentive and helpful.
I was in a single room with private bathroom. I just paid 51€ per night, not a high price in the center of Barcelona. Besides the superb location, the amenities, decoration and almost everything seems a bargain to me.
The entire building is so beautiful. The lordly entrance with a wood lift, give a charm hard to find anywhere else when you travel in such a globalized world.
Undoubtedly, this is a safe bet if you want to know to discover the city, even if it’s your first time of you repeat Barcelona!

Room Tip: Just perfect.
2 Thank Thecatalanboss
Hostal Oliva B, Gerente at Hostal Oliva, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you so much for your words.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in Hostal Oliva. We had the opportunity to make your visit to Barcelona an unique experience, and this is our main goal.
We will keep working to keep this atmosphere alive, so you can enjoy it the next time you visit the city. Hope this will be sooner than you expect.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

What a wonderful find. Myself and 3 friends spent 3 nights at the Hostal Oliva last month while seeing the sights of Barcelona.
The hotel is situated right in the centre and only cost 135 euros for 3 nights. You couldn't do that in central London. The rooms were clean and the bathroom had everything you needed including a bidet.
The landlady was charming and helpful and even bandaged my cut finger.
The hotel has probably the most beautiful lift I have ever been in although incredibly small.
Would highly recommend, and will certainly visit again when next in Barcelona.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anthea C
Hostal Oliva B, Gerente at Hostal Oliva, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you so much for your words.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

4 of us stayed at this delightful hotel for 3 nights while seeing the sights of Barcelona.
Not only was is perfectly situated in the centre, very near Las Ramblas but it was such good value. 135 euros for 3 nights. You couldn't do that in Central London.
It has probably the most beautiful lift I have ever been in, although very small and there was an even smaller one at the back of the building.
The rooms were clean, (and cleaned everyday) . The bathroom had everything you needed including a bidet.
Most importantly, the lady who ran the hotel was always there (as far as I could see 24 hours a day). She very kindly cleaned and bandaged my hand when I cut it on a razor. Nothing seemed to much for her.
Highly recommend this place. It is not the Ritz but when all you are doing is sleeping in your room, why do you need more.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anthea C
Thank you for your opinion.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay in Hostal Oliva, and that our location and our experience helped you to have a nice experience of this amazing city.
You are right. We are not the Ritz, but we don't want to be like them. Our history and our way of being is unique, and we want to offer all we are. We can just be ourselves, and work day after day for you.
Hope to see you soon again in Barcelona.

Kind Regards,

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had a double room which was very comfortable for a single person. It would have been crowded for a couple but still adequate. The room and bath were clean. The bed firm but comfortable. The shower great. And I had a small patio for fresh air to come into the room not really to sit at as you couldn't see over the wall. And always important… good internet!

The location is perfect. Not down in the heart of tourist central, yet a 10 min walk to almost anything in Born or Barri Gotic or a 3-5 min walk to the metro in various directions. More restaurants then you could ever possibly try. Within walking distance to several of the Gaudi locations.

The proprietor I think understands enough english, but I never heard her speak a word. With my reasonable but out-of-practice Spanish she warmed up to me quickly. The most difficult part is that they only take cash. That's easy once you're in town as there are ATMs close by. But paying for the first night from the USA adds to the bill. I paid through MoneyGram and they have a horrible exchange rate on top of the $10 fee that really took 5 business days not the quoted 3. It was not an enjoyable transaction.

In the end I would definitely recommend and stay at Hostal Oliva again.

Room Tip: Reading others reviews and because it was the only room available for most of the week I was in Barc...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank GringaD
Hostal Oliva B, Gerente at Hostal Oliva, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for your opinion.

We are glad you enjoyed Hostal Oliva.

Related to your opinion, we understand that since we can't accept payment by credit card, the other methods are not as easy as someone would like to find nowadays. We are a small Hostal, and bank charges us too much for that. We are redesigning some things of Hostal Oliva to adapt our business to the modern times, and this is deffinetely in our agenda.
We hope we can offer those changes for the next time you want to reserve a room in our hostal.