“small but”

Hostal Ciudad Condal
Ranked #202 of 740 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Good location and clean. The room and bathroom were really small (expected more for the price) but the staff is kind and I had no trouble getting a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Dani_del_Rosario

Reviewed 4 June 2011

This is not a hotel, but is a hostal providing some rooms within a building that is also used for other purposes. The front door of the building is not the hotel, you have to be let in and then go to the hostal reception on the second floor.

We arrived quite late at night to be 'greeted' by a night porter who spoke no English and made no attempt whatsoever to communicate with us so we could understand (no hand gestures, writing things down etc). He not only had to let us in to the building, but each time we went out, he had to let us back into our room as they did not give us a key to the corridor where our room was located. At one point the night porter started shouting at us, which scared the life out of my 10 year old daughter as we had no idea what he was mad about!!

The daytime staff were better and made an attempt to communicate. The rooms were very clean, but basic - like student rooms. The mattress was rock hard and the pillow was a brick! In addition there was no air conditioning at all. I later found out that there is air conditioning but they only switch it on in high summer.

This is definately one to avoid! We ended up moving to the Hotel Constanza ( see other review), which was well worth the extra money!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank ClareCheshire
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Right beside the Ramblas. Room was a good size and very very clean and modern.
Room had a small balcony-well insulated by sliding double glazed windows with electrical operated shutters that reduced noise from the busy street. Bathroom had a bath with shower that was slightly ackward to use. Room had a free safe that is always appreciated in Barcelona. TV and air con in the room. Towels on the skimpy size.
Staff very professional and friendly and I would readily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank donaldgregoryBelfast
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights - to be fair the other reviews saying that the walls are thin and that it's a noisy part of the city is right - you CAN here people walking past and as you're next to los ramblas and all the bars/pubs/restaurants it's going to be noisier - but i loved it. I just wanted somewhere right in the middle of barcelona where i had a bed. this hotel is brilliant if that's all your after. So i recommend you book hostal condal, explore barcelona - do the cable cars for the fantastic views, the Gaudi church (work in progress!) and when you come home in the evening you can walk down los ramblas, with the restaurants, street performers and it'll put a smile on your face.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Holmesie
Reviewed 4 June 2009

This is an okay place to stay if you have a good sleeping heart. The walls are as paper an the beds very hard . But is clean . The owners is ok , but speaks little english .

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank kallemann
Reviewed 13 September 2006

A friend and I visited Barcelona in early September, and we started looking for a hotel at the end of July. Barcelona, like NYC, is known for having expensive hotels, and for whatever reason, every reasonably priced hotel ($100-$150) was already completely booked. We eventually settled on this place and booked a private room w/ a bathroom for $100/night, which seemed quite high for a hostal, but the photos online looked okay, and the location in Eixample was good.

When you arrive, you go up to an office on the 2nd floor of a pretty decent-looking building. However, our room ended up being in a much scuzzier building next-door, where the front entrance looked like the entryway of a tenement house. The flat itself, where the hostal has several private rooms, wasn't so bad, but our room was a bare, shabby little space, and the bathroom was laughably tiny. The room appeared to have its own A/C controls, but it turns out that the A/C only turns on at 10pm and goes off again early in the morning, and it's barely a whisper of air at all. It's still 90 degrees and extremely humid in Barcelona in early September, so if you need A/C at all in order to sleep comfortably, this is not the place for you.

The other terrible thing about the room was the incredibly tiny shower. If you're larger than a small female, I have no idea how you can bathe in that space - even the opening to get INTO the shower was quite narrow.

The only 2 good, or not-bad, things I can say about the place are that the room was relatively clean, & the location is good. Eixample has two famous Gaudi houses, along w/ the amazing modern-design store, Vincon, and the excellent Fundació Antoni Tàpies. However, I'd strongly advise travellers who can afford it to find another place. This is a hostal, after all - do NOT expect the same level of service or comfort that a hotel would have, not even if you're paying $100/night. I'd've happily paid $50 more per night if I had known how terrible this place would be.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank nabokovian
A TripAdvisor Member
Spain
Reviewed 1 November 2004

I booked my room through the internet. My booking confirmation showed the total price of the room, the booking fee I had paid and the remaining amount to be paid at the hotel. At the hotel the tried to make me pay an extra 7%. They claimed the internet agency had lied to me & didn't include the IVA in the bill. After a bit of a discussion, they agreed not to charge me the extra amount as soon as I said I wanted to talk to the police.
On top of that the rooms are very small and very nosiy.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member