“Worth the price (and the view)”

La Lola de las Arenas
Ranked #340 of 10,352 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Eixample
Description: La Lola de las Arenas es un restaurante ubicado en el centro comercial de Plaza España, justo delante de La Fira de Barcelona, Las Arenas. Es un sitio con recetas mediterráneas, con un decorado moderno y local luminoso con terraza, techos muy altos y lámparas industriales.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Having lunch at La Lola de las Arenas was a pleasant experience.
We had "berenjenas a la miel" as a starter (fried eggplant with balsamic vinegar and honey) and I took a lovely "paella de marisco" (seafood paella) as a main dish. The paella was nicely presented and tasted very good, although maybe it was a bit oily. Service was average, the toilets looked quite clean and the prices were reasonable (we paid around 45 euros for the starter, the paella, another course, two glasses of wine and two nice desserts). Recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Oh boy, what a poor choice for my last day. I'd been wanting paella for the whole week I'd been in Barcelona but had never been hungry enough when we were near some to get it.

We were looking for somewhere to eat in Las Arenas after visiting the Poble and having eaten on the ground floor on a previous day decided to try the 5th floor restaurants most of which were quite expensive so we decided on La Lola.

My youngest had stewed squid, my eldest had a bucket of mussels and I had the paella. The squid was apparently good but the mussels came with no sauce, bread or anything else so was pretty poor for dinner and the paella, oh my gosh, the paella was absolutely disgusting. It didn't look like any paella I'd ever eaten or cooked and it tasted vile. The rice was rock hard, not even 'aldente', it was crunching in my mouth and it seems to have something like kidneys in it but they didn't taste good at all, despite me liking kidneys.

I didn't even finish half of it but for the rest of the day my stomach was in a very bad way and I was desperately searching for toilets from the time I ate around 4pm until I arrived back home at 2am. I'll spare you the details but I went at least 5 times and had to get some herbal tea at the hotel to try and settle my stomach but that only helped a little bit. I really wish I'd had it in the tapas restaurant in the lower floor where it at least looked like paella!

I didn't eat it but apparently the strawberry cheesecake my daughter at was not really cheesecake at all. None of us would ever eat here again... My rating of poor was based on the food we had so I should state that I saw lots of other food that looked lovely.

2  Thank Nicolette G
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The beauty of this place is the position on the top of "las Arenas" but regarding the food... is good but not one exceptional. The service was fast enough and polite and the beef sirloin that I ordered was almost perfect cooked and went perfectly with the "Rioja" wine. The "paella" was not so good , but the tomato soup and gazpacho were delicious. It worth to try if you still get at "las Arenas".

1  Thank MLRaphael
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Fairly ok restaurant placed on top of the Arena (de Toro) of Barcellon (close to Place of Espanya) which has been refurbished and transformed in a scenographic and nice to visit Shopping Mall.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The restaurant has very cool decoration; the food was very nice and reasonably priced. I was very impressed that on the menu it was clearly marked which dishes are gluten free. This is not common in Spain at all but it makes ordering so much easier for a coeliac!

1  Thank Bettina V