My partner and I came here between 12th-16th July 2014 and had a lovely stay. From the moment we arrived the staff were polite and very willing to help. Due to our flight being early, we arrived at the hotel at around 11:00 with the intention of leaving our bags and returning to check in later that day, but the staff were more than happy for us to check in early - which was lovely as we had time to have a quick nap before exploring!
The hotel was very clean throughout; our room was spotless as was the bathroom and the dining area. The only comment or criticism I would have regarding the hotel is that the bedroom decor (in our room, not all of them) was a little outdated; bold blue carpets throughout etc. However, having seen photos of other rooms, I know this isn't the case for all of them.
Location wise the hotel is brilliant if you are visiting the university, as you are right on its doorstep. Similarly, it's fairly close to the airport so does not cost much in taxi fares. My only tiny gripe with the location was that if you are there to visit the city itself as opposed to the university, it is a tiny bit further out from where all the bars and excitement are. (Though there are local metro stations, bus stations and a tram station and the hop on hop off tour bus is very close by! So the public transport is very easy to access).
On one evening of our stay we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, which though expensive, is beautiful. The food served was beautiful, the waiter was very helpful and although he was very skilled in English he had the patience to listen to my partners attempts to remember his GCSE Spanish. The food was beautiful and as a tip, if you do eat here and you have a sweet tooth; definitely go for the desert buffet - it's really varied and very tasty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The first 5* hotel in the city, this emblematic luxury retreat forms part of the history of Barcelona and bristles with tales around national and international royalty and important figures from the world of politics, culture and entertainment who have been amongst its guests. Perfectly located on the famous Avinguda Diagonal - in the noble financial district of the city - it is only a 5 minute walk away from Camp Nou football stadium, home of the legendary FC Barcelona, and a mere 12km from the airport. Its 500 timelessly elegant rooms are all exterior-facing and offer - from the 9th floor up - magnificent panoramic views of the Catalan capital. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, Ebookers, Agoda, Expo Hoteles, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelona Princesa Sofia
- Princess Sofia Barcelona
- Princess Sofia Hotel Barcelona
- Gran Hotel Princesa Sofia Barcelona, Catalonia