“Fantastic Location”

Ranked #69 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Staffordshire
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed 5 March 2006

This Hotel in on the edge of the Gothic Quarter and walking distance from pretty much everywhere. We could not have chosen a better location. I´ve just read a few reviews from others and was really shocked at what I read. Yeah ok, the rooms are small but not small enough to complain about. The bathrooms are really spacious and clean with a great shower.... The staff are more than helpful and we even ate at the hotel one evening, food was great and recommended some really good places to visit. If you like cocktails there is a place called "Dry Martini"...

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank Deborah0307

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Galway
Reviewed 1 March 2006

Ok, I'm just back from a weekend @ the Montcada.

My first Complaint, like everyone else....there wasn't room to swing a cat in the room! I ordered the bumper package with the robes, champagne etc but we ended up leaving them in the packages as it wasn't a room made for relaxing in Robes and drinking champagne etc. We just wanted to get out of there.

Next was the Breakfast. The ladies serving weren't very pleasant to say the least. I phoned for it to be brought to the room and I was told that I would have to pay for the full breakfast (even though it was part of the package) plus extras. The menu in the room said that there was just a 3 euro charge for bringing it to the room. I went down for Breakfast at 10.15 (Serves until 10.30) and I it was pretty much thrown at me.

I asked the girl at the reception where was good place for dinner around the area. She said nowhere. We sat and had a meal in the "lobby" (read below). While having the meal I overheard another person asking a different girl at reception the same question, where was good around the area for dinner?, and she gave him a list of places!

When you enter the hotel, the reception is in the lobby. This is a nice area with a bar BUT is was also used as the restaurant in the evening. Which like the bedrooms, cramps your style. The food was nice the first night. The second night my partner asked for her salmon to be well done. It was so on the outside but raw on the inside. She ended up ordering another dish that she was charged for.

We asked for a wake up call on our last night that we had to get a flight the following morning. We had a few drinks and our mobile phones were dead (no alarms) so we pleaded with them to keep ringing us and make sure we got up. They didn't. First they said they didn't have the list. Then they said they made all the calls and a room that didn't answer, they called up to and knocked until the people got up. They did not do either for us. We missed our flights, had to stay another night in the hotel and pay another 400 euros for flights, along with missing a days work. They would not except responsibility. An hour later the changed their story and said they called us and we answered. We know this didn't happen.

Overall...the Montcada is over priced, inconsistent, small and unreliable

9 Thank macdaragh
Merseyside
Reviewed 26 February 2006

We have just returned from a 4 day break at the Montcada. Firstly, as others have mentioned, the rooms are tiny. The double room we stayed in (see photo) was as small as it was physically possible to be. There was a small shower room (no bath) and no tea or coffee making facilities. Also, there was a note in our room apologizing for no mini fridge.

We asked to be moved but were told that no other rooms available. Just as I was walking away from reception, a couple wallked in off the street and asked for a double room. They duly obliged.

The breakfast was reasonably good but on Sat morning (25 Feb) was told that basement restaurant had flooded and a limited 'cold' breakfast was being served in the bar area - friut, bread,cereals . No apology was made and the staff seemed unconcerned. I repeatedly asked for some croissants but in the end gave up and went out for breakfast.

The hotel location is however excellent and if this is your main criteria then it would be a good choice. However having said this there are plenty other 4* hotels with an equally good location.

On the whole, I would not rate this hotel as 4* for service, size of rooms or facilities.

A word of advice regarding currency exchange - the local bureau de change called 'Exact' close to the Cathedral were only offering 1.17 euros to the £.

5 Thank jdf2006
Ireland
Reviewed 16 February 2006

Just returned after a 4 day break in barcelona.
Hotel was nice but with one or 2 complaints.
Room size was fine - not a big room but nothing to complain about, bathroom was really nice.
The biggest problem we has is that we were on the first floor at the front of the hotel - weekdays the noise was not to bad but at the weekend it was impossible to sleep because of the noise from the street so if you are not staying out until 5 try and get a room higher up or at the back of the hotel.
We had booked the mondcada pleasure offer which includes access to the jacuzzi on the roof with the cava reception. The jacuzzi was closed - did not really mind but thought we should have been informed of this before we arrived as it did influence picking the hotel. Champagne was not forthcoming either.
Breakfast was lovely and the location was excellent

4 Thank Rachel877
Northampton, UK
Reviewed 15 February 2006

This hotel is situated in a great location, but can only be described as functional. I really cannot understand how it has been rated so highly as I was bitterly disappointed.

Let me explain. The rooms vary in size considerably depending on where in the building they are situated. I know this because faced with a room where you could barely walk around the bed, and no bath, we asked to move. To be fair there was no quibble about this, and for reference, the twin rooms tend to be larger than the doubles.

However, even having acquired more space, the room was basic. Small details such as no full length hanging space, no sockets near a mirror (other than in the bathroom), one pillow per person, no tea/coffee etc etc

I should point out that none of this would have bothered me in the least if I had paid a bargain price, but this hotel is vastly over valued/graded.

At best it is a functional, business hotel - clean and tidy, and the staff are polite and efficient. It is certainly not my idea of romantic, in any way, shape, or form, even if they do give you a glass of Cava on arrival!

Barcelona, on the other hand, I would go back to in a shot. It is a wonderful place.

6 Thank Lily121
Surrey, England
Reviewed 9 February 2006

Just got back from staying at the H10 Montcada. The two of us arrived at the hotel and our room was not available, however the hotel stored our luggage. Fantastic location for exploring all the sights, the room was very very small and ours did not let in a lot of light, however it was comfortable and the bathroom was lovely.

The staff at the hotel were extemely friendly and very helpful and the breakfast buffet was really good, a wide variety of food even bacon and eggs!

We were a short walk away from Taller De Tapas which was a really nice place to eat.

Would definately stay at this hotel again as it was in a great location.

6 Thank MGreenSurrey
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 February 2006

Just got back from three nights in Barcelona at the H10 and certainly have no complaints at all. It was a great hotel with champagne on arrival, very clean facilities and the breakfast was fantastic it set you up for the day.

I can't understand why this hotel receives negative reviews for the size of the bedrooms when you're in Barcelona do you really want to spend that much time in there anyway? Our room overlooked the busy steet but we weren't disurbed by any traffic noise, the rooms are of ample size for two people and the bathroom is modern and spacious. We ordered the champagne and strawberries package which was great, we just asked reception and they brought it to the room for us. Unfortunately the jacuzzi wasn't filled when we were there which we could have used because the days were warm but it wasn't a problem enough to mention it to the staff. Anyway, the views from the roof are a good enough reason to go up there anyway!

All in all we had a great time in a wonderful city and would definitely stay in this hotel again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member